Author Topic: black plastic parts trick  (Read 10074 times)

richkel

black plastic parts trick
« on: May 14, 2010, 06:02:51 pm »
Here's a trick I stumbled on to;  On older bikes the black plastic parts can get a "foggy" look, even white-ish if sun baked.  #0000 steel wool can bring back the black with effort, but I found blowing on the parts with a heat gun can bring the black back too.  I have a heat gun which hotter than a hair dryer.  For obvious reasons you have to be careful not to over do it, but it works well on many parts.

Rich 

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
Re: black plastic parts trick
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 06:29:57 pm »
Good tip, I have to try that.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline cb350twin

• Hot Shot
    • http://mail.google.com/a/sohc4.net/
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 05:16:31 pm »
Some one a while ago on here suggested black shoe polish. Make's them look brand new and it doesn't really rub off like you would think. Quick and easy and no one knows.
1975 CB 750 K5
1972 CB 350 Twin K4
1972 CB 500 Four K1

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
    • 1976 CB750K, under construction:
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 07:29:29 am »
peanut oil is a great way to bring them back with minimal effort and no risk of ruining them.  it soaks in and is dry to the touch, no greasiness or anything afterward!
1976 CB750K, currently under construction:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64468.0

-And if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do...

Offline toycollector10

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 04:14:34 am »
Peanut oil?

I found out today that if someone super-glues your arse to a toilet seat or glues any other part of your anatomy, rub the "offending area" with peanut butter. Apparently the oil in the PB takes care of the glue.

I haven't googled it yet, so stand to be corrected.
1969  CB 750 K0
1973  CB175
1973  Z1 Kawasaki

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 11:34:24 am »
Peanut oil?

I found out today that if someone super-glues your arse to a toilet seat or glues any other part of your anatomy, rub the "offending area" with peanut butter. Apparently the oil in the PB takes care of the glue.

That's good news. The next time someone superglues my ass to the toilet, I'll have to remember that... :D

Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 11:36:55 am »
Peanut oil?

That's good news. The next time someone superglues my ass to the toilet, I'll have to remember that... :D

But how in the world does one get to the cupboard to retrieve the peanut butter.  ??? :D
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 01:07:57 pm »
Peanut oil?

Acetone-based nail polish remover supposedly removes superglue. And Goo-Gone is incredible at removing stickers and other adhesives.

Offline Accolay

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 10:17:24 pm »

Was the friend in the story really you ?  :D
1977 CB550F

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 06:21:36 am »

Was the friend in the story really you ?  :D

Where did he mention a friend?

Offline Accolay

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 10:00:29 am »
You know, when somebody tells you a story, and you know, when they say it's about somebody else or happened to someone else..and well nevermind. Joke gone.
1977 CB550F

Offline Laminar

• Retsam
  • Master
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 10:48:28 am »
You know, when somebody tells you a story, and you know, when they say it's about somebody else or happened to someone else..and well nevermind. Joke gone.

I understand, but he never mentioned a friend or someone else.

DocVile

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 10:53:48 am »

Is that kinda like saying "Who Farted" and you actually did it

Offline wannabridin

• Patience made me a
  • Master
  • -Garrett
    • 1976 CB750K, under construction:
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 11:38:33 am »
ya, the peanut oil is in the rubber revival thread...
1976 CB750K, currently under construction:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64468.0

-And if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do...

Offline toycollector10

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 02:09:34 am »
Bloody hell, haven't you guys ever been to a party and some wag puts Gladwrap (I think the Yanks ((Is that offensive?, if it is I don't really care)) call it Saran Wrap?) over the toilet seat...Then the GF of some guy goes and pees and then all hell breaks loose?  ;D

I know I have. Re the superglue. In my case, a definite NO.
1969  CB 750 K0
1973  CB175
1973  Z1 Kawasaki

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 10:50:43 am »
Peanut oil?

I think if someone really did do that, they should go to jail and pay for all the medical bills.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 03:49:21 pm »
Reported On CNN

Maryland man glued to Wal-Mart toilet seat

Police in Maryland are on the hunt for the perpetrator of what appears to be an April Fools' prank that left a man glued to a toilet at a Wal-Mart store.

If caught, the jokester who doused the seat with glue at the Elkton Wal-Mart on March 31 could face second-degree assault charges, said Lt. Matthew Donnelly of the Elkton Police Department.

Police, along with the Singerly Fire Company and the Cecil County Paramedics, were called to the scene at about 7 p.m.

There, they found the 48-year-old victim, who called for help after realizing the sticky situation he was in when he tried -- and failed -- to stand up and leave the superstore's restroom, Donnelly said.

It took responders 15 minutes to remove the victim from the stall, but they were unable to disconnect the toilet seat from his body, Donnelly said.

Instead, the victim was taken to Union Hospital of Cecil County, where the seat was detached. He left with only minor injuries to his buttocks, Donnelly said.

Police do not suspect that the victim was specifically targeted, but that the incident was a random prank, Donnelly said. They have not received reports of glue-laden toilet seats since.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-04-06/us/maryland.toilet.prank_1_toilet-seat-maryland-man-donnelly?_s=PM:US

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 05:34:28 pm »
i put peanut butter on my hiney just in case I sit in super glue, Plus it makes it shiney.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 11:08:26 am »
i put peanut butter on my hiney just in case I sit in super glue, Plus it makes it shiney.
Are you sure it is Peanut Butter?

Offline xenoscr

• Enthusiast
  • 1975 Honda CB750 K5
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2019, 06:09:54 pm »
Here's a trick I stumbled on to;  On older bikes the black plastic parts can get a "foggy" look, even white-ish if sun baked.  #0000 steel wool can bring back the black with effort, but I found blowing on the parts with a heat gun can bring the black back too.  I have a heat gun which hotter than a hair dryer.  For obvious reasons you have to be careful not to over do it, but it works well on many parts.

Rich

Awesome trick. Worked wonderfully, Thank you!
1975 Honda CB750 K5