Author Topic: Jessezm's CB400F cafe  (Read 47812 times)

Offline jessezm

• '77 cb400f cafe build
  • Expert
  • Always wrenching...
Re: Jessezm's CB400F cafe
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2010, 06:09:59 am »
I hadn't even thought of ceramic coating old rusty pipes.  I don't think we got to see yours, how about it?  Those 400 headers are pretty sweet. It's a tie with the 550F header though.

It only cost me $100, and they did an excellent job cleaning the pipes first.  The ceramic coating looks powdery white when it comes out of the oven, and then they actually polish it to a dull luster like regular metal.  It is really shiny, and while not chrome, it does not at all look like it's painted.  I'll try to get some pics for you a lunchtime today.

As for the muffler, I ordered a MAC megaphone, removed the baffle, and then machined down and installed a really nice 2" Kerker baffle.  I can't wait to hear what it sounds like!  Stay tuned for pics this afternoon.

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 06:53:48 am »
Nice Dude! Great build...looking good,  I LOVE how you did it in the house!
WIckeD!

Offline jessezm

• '77 cb400f cafe build
  • Expert
  • Always wrenching...
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 07:11:15 am »
Nice Dude! Great build...looking good,  I LOVE how you did it in the house!
WIckeD!

Yeah, that's where I plan to park it, too!  Although now that I think about it, it may stink things up a bit...

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 09:25:19 am »
It only cost me $100, and they did an excellent job cleaning the pipes first.  The ceramic coating looks powdery white when it comes out of the oven, and then they actually polish it to a dull luster like regular metal.  It is really shiny, and while not chrome, it does not at all look like it's painted.  I'll try to get some pics for you a lunchtime today.

As for the muffler, I ordered a MAC megaphone, removed the baffle, and then machined down and installed a really nice 2" Kerker baffle.  I can't wait to hear what it sounds like!  Stay tuned for pics this afternoon.

Where's my popcorn at...
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline jessezm

• '77 cb400f cafe build
  • Expert
  • Always wrenching...
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 09:26:54 am »
Alright, here are the pics of the coated exhaust.  I was worried that the chrome muffler would be too much of a contrast, but I think it looks fine.  Let me know what you think:

« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:30:25 am by jessezm »

Offline luceja

• Enthusiast
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 09:36:33 am »
The header coating results are excellent news for me. My 400f came with poorly done rattle-blacked headers which appear to be otherwise sound and rust free - I wanted to get this coating but couldn't get a good sense of what it really looked like - this seals the deal!
'75 cb400f, '77 cb550f , CB160 road racer, '88 Hawk GT track bike, FZR400 race bike, and a bunch of old hondas in boxes.

Offline jessezm

• '77 cb400f cafe build
  • Expert
  • Always wrenching...
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 09:41:27 am »
Glad to hear it!  Also of note--they told me if I wanted it shinier I can just buff it out a little more.  Nothing abrasive, but he said a little bit of Mother's polish will shine it up even more, or help when it needs a cleaning. 

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2010, 09:45:44 am »
  It looks very nice, if a little silvery vs chromy.  I think it would be less noticable on lighter paint jobs.   Looks fine though, I'd rock it.

Offline midnightrider

• Out of the SOHC4 world for a while...
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2010, 09:53:57 am »
Looking great, my friend! What a sweet build!

It's too bad that you have to wait for now.  Im sure that you can find something to in the meantime...
1972 CB350 Four - "The Green Hornet"
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=84975.0

I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can; I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me.
-- Duane Allman's epitaph

Offline jessezm

• '77 cb400f cafe build
  • Expert
  • Always wrenching...
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2010, 09:56:30 am »

It's too bad that you have to wait for now.  Im sure that you can find something to in the meantime...

Oh like fix your bike you mean?  Hey, at least we got yours running already!  
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 07:53:42 am by jessezm »

Offline jessezm

• '77 cb400f cafe build
  • Expert
  • Always wrenching...
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2010, 09:58:54 am »
  It looks very nice, if a little silvery vs chromy.  I think it would be less noticable on lighter paint jobs.   Looks fine though, I'd rock it.

Speaking of paint jobs, do you all have any suggestions for the frame?  The tank and seat will be polished aluminum allow from Roccity Cafe.  I was thinking of adding a few racing stripes to the tank and seat as well, though.  Black for the frame?  I thought about copper but I didn't want my bike to look too much like a cappuccino maker...   Open to any an all advice, though!

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2010, 10:44:10 am »
  Maybe a white frame, white tank w/ a black stripe and white Honda badges outlined in black or silver.  Might contrast the black bits like your rearsets, wheels, motor, and headlight.  Maybe a black seat/white stitching too?  Might make your handiwork on the frame and swingarm look that much more clean and really be noticed.   

Offline midnightrider

• Out of the SOHC4 world for a while...
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2010, 12:06:04 pm »

It's too bad that you have to wait for now.  Im sure that you can find something to in the meantime...

Oh like fix your bike you mean?  

Now that you mention it...

I would like to let all the readers of this thread know that Jessezm has been helping me a TON as I get my '72 CB350F going after 13 years of sitting  at the same time that he's been working on the this incredible build.   
1972 CB350 Four - "The Green Hornet"
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=84975.0

I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can; I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me.
-- Duane Allman's epitaph

Offline jessezm

• '77 cb400f cafe build
  • Expert
  • Always wrenching...
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2010, 12:25:54 pm »
  Maybe a white frame, white tank w/ a black stripe and white Honda badges outlined in black or silver.  Might contrast the black bits like your rearsets, wheels, motor, and headlight.  Maybe a black seat/white stitching too?  Might make your handiwork on the frame and swingarm look that much more clean and really be noticed.   

Never been a big fan of white on motorcycles, except in the case of Architect's build, which is not quite white but definitely a lighter frame with that awesome brown leather seat.  Huge fan of that bike!

Also, I'm not sure I could bare to cover up all of the polished alloy finish of the tank...  But I do like golds, deep reds, silvers, etc.  There's already more black on the bike than I would have liked, which is why I was trying to think of another color for the frame, but that may end up being the safest way to go...

As for the seat, it is going to be black with red stitching/piping, and my brake lines have the red inserts as well.

Offline jessezm

• '77 cb400f cafe build
  • Expert
  • Always wrenching...
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2010, 05:18:39 am »
Here are some pics of the diodes I just installed to get my turn signal indicator light to work.  The original idiot lights had a separate light for each blinker, so they could be wired directly.  But my speedo with incorporated LEDs only has one light that flashes, so I picked up some diodes (rectifier type, 3 amp, 50 PIV), and soldered on some connections and shrink wrapped them.  They are now installed and working great!

Offline cdoggy81

• Enthusiast
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2010, 08:11:27 am »
I saw where you got your controls but where did you get your tach & speedo? Love how the lights are included!
Also, it only cost $30 to get your pistons coated or was it $30 + the coating?
"APPLICATION OF PERFORMANCE COATINGS ($10 per product, per part - 4th cylinder free)"

Offline jessezm

• '77 cb400f cafe build
  • Expert
  • Always wrenching...
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2010, 10:46:06 am »
I saw where you got your controls but where did you get your tach & speedo? Love how the lights are included!
Also, it only cost $30 to get your pistons coated or was it $30 + the coating?
"APPLICATION OF PERFORMANCE COATINGS ($10 per product, per part - 4th cylinder free)"

I got the mini tach and speedo from cycle recycle (http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm).  Go to the controls menu, then gauges.

The coating was $70 total I think, and I got all 4 pistons coated with 2 separate treatments.  I think it is $10 per coating per piston, with a discount applied depending on the number of coatings you get.

Offline RickB

• Hot Shot
    • Pop Magazine
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2010, 07:03:26 am »
Jesse,

Mate, great build thread. I've only just discovered it and I've unknowingly made some similar decisions as you with my 400F. I've got the same mini gauges and K&S switches as you. I'm trying to sort out my handle bars now. I've gone with rag bars over the clubmans. My stock master cylinder won't fit the bars, it knocks against the bar clamps. Could you give me a link to your new master cylinder and your thought process into getting it? Same with your clutch lever and perch. I'm trying to keep my bike stock where I can and would prefer to keep the stock master cylinder, but want drag bars.

Next I'll have to tackle the wiring, so I'll more than likely be coming back here with some 'how'd you do that?' questions. Especially about the gauges and that indicator diode thing you built. With the K&S switches, did you use the 9-pin connectors or did you use the Honda style plugs?

Make sure you take photos and update as soon as you get your tank and seat! I was originally going to go silver for my tank (I like the 350F tank) but have changed my mind. I've got a Giuliari Repro seat coming this week.

Once again, fantastic reading and good work.

Rick.

P.S. My thread just in case: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=51957.0
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 07:05:34 am by RickB »

Offline jessezm

• '77 cb400f cafe build
  • Expert
  • Always wrenching...
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2010, 07:46:23 am »
Hey, Rick, I've been following your thread closely as well and am a big fan of your efforts!  I'm happy to help any way I can.  I really like the look of the original MC, but I'm going for the trimmed-down look and wanted something a little less bulky.  I've been shopping at Mike's XS for years (I used to ride xs650's) and he is a great guy and always has stellar service.  I chose this MC because it was compact and had a similar bore size to stock.  You have to be careful about that since if you have too much braking power at the MC you can more easily lock up the front wheel, which is no fun...  Here's the link:

Part #08-4005 at Mike's XS: http://www.mikesxs.net/products-71.html#products

There is only one problem with this MC, which is that it doesn't allow enough space between the reservoir and the bars for the wire that comes out of the K&S switches, and so my control switch had to scoot further over than I would like.   I've thought of  ways to fix this, including eliminating the switch altogether and using my horn button on the other side as the starter and doing a single toggle switch for the kill button, but in the end, I decided to stick with it and see how much it really bothers me.  One other good thing about this MC (and many others as well) is that it has the brake light switch integrated into it, allowing me to get rid of the bulky piece on the lower triple clamp and move to a single braided brake line.

As far as the clutch lever and perch go, I just went for cheap.  I looked and I can't even find the link, but it was about $20 from one of the larger aftermarket parts suppliers online.  I really just guessed at what would work based on the pictures.

For the K&S switches (and all my new wiring), I used crimped bullet connectors from www.vintageconnections.com.  I bought the kit that comes with the crimping tool and tons of connectors and a few blocks, and it has really come in handy.  I really had to study the stock wiring diagram closely and then I did a cross-comparison chart to map the wiring to the new controls.  The mini speedo was the trickiest, since it came with no diagram, and required those diodes to work correctly.

Anyhow, feel free to pick my brain about anything else!  I'm expecting my tank and seat in about 2 weeks hopefully, and will definitely be updating soon.  Right now I'm just holding steady and planning for the final stages of the build ;-)

Offline RickB

• Hot Shot
    • Pop Magazine
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2010, 09:18:10 am »
Jesse,

Wow, thanks mate. I appreciate the help.

Yeah I know the problem you're describing about the wiring out of that right hand switch. I have been ignoring that problem until I sort the MC out. I intend to go the stainless steel brake line route too and hadn't considered the switch issue. I loathe to ditch my stock MC. Is there another modern alternative to the switch issue? Perhaps an inline switch at the banjo bolt or something? Either way I'm limited room up their anyway. A new MC sounds like the easiest move.

I just got an email by chance from Bob Hamilton (the guy that coated your pistons) as I'm a member of the CB400F Yahoo group. Anyway, would you recommend getting my pistons coated? I hadn't considered it until I saw yours. What's the benefits? I have no idea who even does it down here in Australia but if it's good and worth doing, I'll try to find someone.

I'll hunt around for some leavers. There's actually a awesome little vintage bike store in downtown Melbourne that might have something for me.

I'll get stuck in the electrics no doubt. Just looking at the birds nest of wires I have scares me. I think I'm going to try and use the 9 pin connectors for my switches to try and keep it tidy. That vintageconnectors website is amazing. I can't believe I hadn't seen that before.

Thanks again,
Rick.

P.S. What is the correct MC piston bore diameter for CB400F? The manual says 14.055mm inside and 13.940mm inside yet the MC you bought is 12.7mm. What gives?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 09:33:32 am by RickB »

Offline jessezm

• '77 cb400f cafe build
  • Expert
  • Always wrenching...
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2010, 10:06:18 am »
If you want to stick with the stock MC but use a single brake hose, you can get a banjo bolt with a pressure switch incorporated.  I think Mike's XS has them, as well as the guy on here (pampadori) who makes hoses for members.  As far as the inner bore, you're right, the one I used is a little smaller than stock, but close enough that it shouldn't be too much of a difference.

On piston coating, I think there are three types you can get.  I'll see if I can hunt up Bob's description.  I'm definitely not qualified to say whether it will make a huge difference or not, but he had the pistons already and the price was reasonable.  If you have to spend and arm and a leg to have it done over there, I wouldn't worry about it at all.  I think one of the coatings helps to shed oil from the piston skirts, allowing it to return to the sump at cooler temps, and another coating helps concentrate the combustion heat correctly, or something like that.  Then there was a third I don't remember...    Ok, found it, here we go (I got the first two coatings):

1) Dry Film Lubricant (DFL), is a lubricating fill applied to the skirt of the piston that reduces friction, inhibits galling and seizing and in some instances can aid in dispersing heat.  They are slippery and provide an extremely low coefficient of friction, which provides added protection during high engine temperatures and other extreme conditions.
2) Thermal Barrier Coating (TBC) is a ceramic based coating applied to the crown of the piston that insulates the piston and rings against damaging heat transfer, keeping more of the heat inside the combustion chamber.  It also provides a more even distribution of combustion, which not only increases efficiency and power, it eliminates hot spots that can lead to pre-ignition and detonation
3) Oil Shedding Coating is applied to the underside of the piston allowing oil that is splashed onto the piston to shed rapidly. The longer oil clings to a hot surface the hotter the oil and the part becomes. By shedding the oil more quickly, this helps eliminate hot oil from blocking the cooler oil from contacting the hot surface. cooler oil will be splashed over the surface more frequently.

The pistons are media cleaned first to assure a good bonding surface (ring grooves are covered).  After the coatings are applied, the pistons are baked at specific temperatures and times.

---------------

On the electrics, all I can say is just take your time getting to know the different circuits and understanding how they interact.  After a while it becomes really simple, and almost meditative to work on.  Just take it slow like you've done with the rest and you'll be fine.  I started my project with about the same amount of knowledge and experience.

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=4tns3u195d509vr53fukb9oij0&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2010, 11:10:35 am »
hey im alså on work on a 1975 400f...have same idea of get vire konnektions avay from under tank..have you maked all vires longer?? to get under seat,,or have you still some konektions in main light house..think of egnision key,,and lights kontrols..i faund a diagram here on forum under faq,,but it seems to be an erlier model..but thinks to make my ovn system
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

Offline jessezm

• '77 cb400f cafe build
  • Expert
  • Always wrenching...
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2010, 03:22:06 pm »
hey im alså on work on a 1975 400f...have same idea of get vire konnektions avay from under tank..have you maked all vires longer?? to get under seat,,or have you still some konektions in main light house..think of egnision key,,and lights kontrols..i faund a diagram here on forum under faq,,but it seems to be an erlier model..but thinks to make my ovn system

I actually kept a lot of connections in the headlight bucket.  I thought about moving the ignition switch to the back of the bike, but in the end, if fit really nicely to where the old light cluster was mounted, though I did still have to machine down the mounting brackets a little to get the angle/depth I wanted.  Also, the mini speedo and tach required a lot of connectors, and there were electrics for the brake switch and hand controls as well.  So, while i planned on going minimalist, i think I ended up with more wires!  but I concentrated on making good solid connections and everything still fits really nice so I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.  I moved the rectifier, flasher, fuse box, and starter solenoid to the custom pan under the seat, and I think I actually ended up shortening, not lengthening, a lot of wires.  I still have to decide whether to put the battery under the seat hump or make a holder for it to between the motor and the rear tire.  But I can't do that until my seat arrives...

Offline RickB

• Hot Shot
    • Pop Magazine
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2010, 07:37:42 am »
Jesse,

I just posted a quick update to my thread about my new DID rims from DSS. I noticed after reading your thread that I ordered the DSS spokes which aren't chrome. I guess you already knew that. I've read that stainless steel spokes are better, but I'm not sure if the spokes I got from DSS are even stainless steel. If they are, I was thinking of polishing them rather than dropping another $100 on chrome spokes. Although given the amount of spokes there are, maybe another chromed set would be just as cheap as polishing.

Rick.

Offline jessezm

• '77 cb400f cafe build
  • Expert
  • Always wrenching...
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2010, 07:46:39 am »
Yeah, I actually got my spokes off of ebay from thailand or something--they had one of those "make your best offer" deals, so I tried it out, and was pretty pleased at the value (I think I paid $60 for the set of two, but of course the shipping bumped it up a little).  When I built up my street tracker (yamaha 650), though, I used stainless spokes and they were gorgeous just the way they were.  I'm not sure what the DSS spokes are--maybe cadmium plated?  I just didn't want to spend the extra money this time around on SS...  I actually prefer SS to chrome, though, in most applications...