Author Topic: Engine Install How to - with pics  (Read 22502 times)

Offline Seeparkfly

• Enthusiast
Re: Engine Install How to - with pics
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 03:38:29 pm »
What a great way to handle the engine. I've been searching for a way to remove it, this way looks totally doable for me.

Offline Ewan 500K1

• Hot Shot
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
Re: Engine Install How to - with pics + on its side method added
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2013, 04:34:48 am »
and for completeness, the on its side method .... best used when the frame is bare.

This is installing the engine on a CB500/4 , removal is just the reverse procedure. Same procedure can be used on the 400, 650 and 750

1. Remove sump, oil strainer, oil filter housing, breather cover and exhaust studs from the engine (photo 1)

2. Sit the engine on its side , kickstart side down . This is imporatnt it doesn't work as well if the engine is the other way up. (photo 2)

3. Lower the frame over the engine and install the two lower engine bolts (photos 2 & 3)

4. Have some blocks of wood in place to roll the frame / engine aassembly onto in upright position. The wooden blocks should be positioned to avoid the side stand bracket (photos 4 & 5)

You might want to protect the frame's paintwork by wrapping it in bubble wrap or similar before you start
jings, crivens, help ma boab

500 four K1 cafe racer build thread at :
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=100883.0

Offline hondamad

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2016, 05:01:11 am »
Thats the way i do it very easy

Offline zammykoo

• @Mototam
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 02:48:43 pm »
Cool! I was thinking of building a cheap wooden frame in the same shape as your setup.

Offline richmagee7

• Enthusiast
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2017, 07:26:37 pm »
Bill K's method worked absolutely great for me.  Took the engine out with bike on its side but that was with the help of 4 other people.  Bike was assembled and had no help for reinstall.  I used small furniture dollys, 6$ harbor freight ones, with wood blocks on top and jack stands above that.  Hung the motor with ratchet straps as Bill K did but from a 2x4.  Taped up the frame with rags.  Once motor was at the right height, it was sitting in the frame in 15 minutes and that was taking my time.  I had left the exhaust flanges on which makes it pretty tight.  I also had ground down the tab sticking up on the lower frame bolt location on the right side of frame per Hondaman's suggestion.  Loved this method.

Offline gary p.

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2019, 04:30:32 am »
A great solution.  I think you just saved me a bunch of money I can spend on other upgrades.  My chiropractor will just have to find another patient. 

Offline fireman1073

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2019, 06:23:58 am »
j hook setup, easy to make or have made and in my case i used my car lift