Author Topic: Radial Calipers and MC  (Read 1681 times)

TheDodger

Radial Calipers and MC
« on: May 29, 2010, 07:49:44 pm »
Hi guys, I'm new here and just picked up a 1982 CB 750F to race in an air cooled twin shock championship.

I have a GSX-R 1000 K5 as my road bike and I've just upgraded the brakes to Brembo radial calipers and master cylinder so I now have spare Tokico calipers and m/c. Also, I have a set of 2004 R1 320mm discs knocking around.

With the stock cast wheel of the CB 750, do you guys think there would be any way to mount these modern brake parts onto my bike?

I know some good machine shops, but this is all new to me.

Any help appreciated.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Radial Calipers and MC
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 09:15:04 pm »
Almost anything is possible if you can afford the work..

Are both rotors and hubs , same bolt count, ie 5 hole mount, or 6 hole..?

Where are you located?
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Bamboozler

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 09:06:48 am »
I haven't searched the archive for a similar subject in these forums, but a friend with a Suzuki GS sent me this link that you may be able to find something useful in and apply to your application. My friend is gathering components to do this upgrade to his GS (kawi twin pot calipers CBR rotors and buying the mounting adapters the guy offers).  Seems the adapter is the part that you would have to craft to make the calipers mount in the correct position.  This is assuming that the rotors were able to be bolted up as 754 pointed out.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=140253
'78 CB750F Turbo, 101 rwhp @ 8 PSI (Project thread)
2007 Yamaha FZ1
'78 CB750F basket case crying for a resto
'78 XL250S
'78 Suk GS750E
Digital Ignition project (Project thread)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 09:27:32 am »
Actually I asked if pattern was the same as often 5 bolt can be redrilled bigger or smaller bolt circle...ie,  6 bolt to 5 bolt may not work..

If you use 77/78 F forks I believe you can make blocks to mount radial calipers, but it would be tougher on the earlier forks.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

TheDodger

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 11:22:16 am »
I've been away crashing my bike :( (Diesel spill in conjunction with too much speed / lean for conditions, but I'm ok).

So now I'm rebuilding the bike into the racer sooner than I thought.

Below are the discs I plan to mount (somehow) and they are 5 bolts like the original discs.  They are also almost the same size as the wheel  ;D

However, I've decided that I'm going to run 18" wheels off a 1987 Suzuki GSX-R 750.  Those may be a challenge in themselves to fit, but when I do, it'll mean I can run some fairly decent modern rubber (been looking at Dunlop Roadsmarts 120/70 front and 160/60 rear).