Author Topic: Twin Brake Callipers  (Read 9497 times)

Offline Phil

Twin Brake Callipers
« on: May 28, 2010, 01:05:22 pm »
I'm sure this has been covered before but I can't find it! I want to use a twin-disc set-up and will be using the early finned callipers. Can anyone advise me. First, as I want the brake lines in the threaded hole closest to the fork-leg (bleed nipples facing forward), I need to swap the bleed nipple  and brake line around. One hole has an olive in the bottom to seal the brake line fitting but this olive prevents the bleed nipple from tightening down. Do I drill out the sealing olive? I shall be using all Goodridge fittings and lines and will use a banjo bolt for the line so maybe the olive is not needed?. Or do I need to fit another sealing olive? I hope this all makes sense! Second, is it OK to simply switch the calliper bracket from left to right, or do I need a special right side bracket? I have switched them but note that the one on the right fork-leg needs packing out with washers to make the bracket holder fit flush with the fork-leg. Thanks in anticipation!!

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
Re: Twin Brake Callipers
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 01:37:02 pm »
Earl's makes a fitting that will work with the stock caliper....no drilling necessary. It will allow you to run the stainless line right to the caliper. I'll have to look in their catalog for the #
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Phil

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 12:11:25 am »
That would be great - thank!

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 12:38:56 am »
Hey Phil,

That olive sits loose in the caliper, you should be able to get it out without drilling.

Rob
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 01:55:22 am »
Hey Phil, hoiking that little dish out of the caliper is easy. Either, get a panel pin in a pair of mole grips and put the pin head into the little hole on the dish and give it a yank or I threaded it with a small tap and put a bolt in there and do the same. Slide hammer it if it's really gunged in. Either way it'll come out easily.

The bracket is another matter altogether. If you are using later type calipers or caliper brackets they swap over to the right leg with no problem. If you use the early C shape type brackets they are handed so you need a right handed bracket a la race kit from Honda. Since they're like gold rocking horse poo the best option is to have one made. I sent my left bracket to Minnovation in Bradford and they CNC'd a right mirror for me and it's a perfect fit. Problem is it'll cost you £300! That's the reason most folks stick with the later K/F simple pin brackets...
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 05:38:52 pm »
If you use the early C shape type brackets they are handed so you need a right handed bracket a la race kit from Honda. Since they're like gold rocking horse poo the best option is to have one made. I sent my left bracket to Minnovation in Bradford and they CNC'd a right mirror for me and it's a perfect fit. Problem is it'll cost you £300! That's the reason most folks stick with the later K/F simple pin brackets...

Uh, I believe I happen to have one of those gold rocking horse turds: it was on my dual disk K1 forks. I have K7 forks now, and the C type brackets wouldn't bolt up to the legs.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Phil

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 11:21:11 am »
"K - F simple pin bracket"? Can you tell me how to identify these? Wow Lord Moonpie - £300!! Good thing that you are aristocracy!   Thanks for the advice: re the olive - I will heed your advice. By the way, anyone buy the new, genuine CR750 seat on ebay?

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 01:27:33 pm »
Phil, here is a pic of the early C type bracket that was on my K1 forks, and the newer T type. Note the difference in the mounting hole layout.
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
    • Moonpie
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 03:06:53 am »
Hey Scottly that's an interesting part - no upper lugs to bolt the fender bracket to like there is on my early C type brackets. Maybe you have a kit part of some kind or a PO went to the trouble to have one made too?

Here's the back of my CNC'd bracket test bolted up....you're right Phil it wasn't cheap but it was worth it. Not sure the local peasants agree as I had to increase their taxes for three months just to afford it ;-)
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 04:18:43 pm »
I suspect that it must be a kit part: it is cast, not machined, and has the letters "CFC" cast in on both sides. Also, the dark patina makes me wonder if it's magnesium.
The PO gave me no info on the parts on the bike, but he evidently used all the best stuff available back in the '70s. I just recently found out, via a classified ad, that my foot pegs and levers are John Tickle. The bike also has a Gremeca rear disc, Morris wheels, Gerex ign, and Webers, in addition to the Seeley chassis.

Offline Phil

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 11:52:42 am »
Thanks guys - this is really helpful. I have the newer "T-type" brackets and will use some spacers on the RH fork leg. I am planning to use a standard mudguard bracket to stiffen up the forks and will doubtless run into problems mounting the mudguard! It's not straightforward, is it?! Incidentally Lord Moonpie, theory suggests that peasants don't actually mind paying higher taxes if they think it's for the common good - tell them it's a very, very nice bike and when the Lord is happy their chances of survival increases!

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 04:15:56 pm »
I suspect that it must be a kit part: it is cast, not machined, and has the letters "CFC" cast in on both sides. Also, the dark patina makes me wonder if it's magnesium.
The PO gave me no info on the parts on the bike, but he evidently used all the best stuff available back in the '70s. I just recently found out, via a classified ad, that my foot pegs and levers are John Tickle. The bike also has a Gremeca rear disc, Morris wheels, Gerex ign, and Webers, in addition to the Seeley chassis.

Scotty, I was sorting my storage building for sellable parts today and found a brake assembly with a bracket like yours with "CFC" cast in either side, and it also has (slight) oxidation like magnesium does. If you (or anyone else on the board) has info on this part, please let me (us) know. Thanks.  ;D  RR

I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 05:03:43 pm »
 PARTS FOR SALE !!  Whatcha got ?  HUH ?  Whatcha got ?  I gotta see !!!   :o  ;D
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 09:22:34 pm »
ROTFLMYO!!!   ;D  Dude, you live close enuf to come take a look fer yerself. C'mon down!!!  

Besides, your parts addiction is as serious as mine... Hmmm... Maybe we should meet half way with a coupla truckloads.  :D  RR

I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 09:40:07 pm »
If you are using later type calipers or caliper brackets they swap over to the right leg with no problem. If you use the early C shape type brackets they are handed so you need a right handed bracket a la race kit from Honda.

This was the first I heard of a special bracket; I had been told at some time that it was just a reversed left-side bracket, but I later found that wasn't the case. Also, this bracket will Not bolt up to the K7 fork leg, and the T bracket from the K7 will not fit the K1 fork: the bolt patterns are different.

Offline H2Eric

• Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 07:57:10 am »
Hey Phil, hoiking that little dish out of the caliper is easy. Either, get a panel pin in a pair of mole grips and put the pin head into the little hole on the dish and give it a yank or I threaded it with a small tap and put a bolt in there and do the same. Slide hammer it if it's really gunged in. Either way it'll come out easily.

The bracket is another matter altogether. If you are using later type calipers or caliper brackets they swap over to the right leg with no problem. If you use the early C shape type brackets they are handed so you need a right handed bracket a la race kit from Honda. Since they're like gold rocking horse poo the best option is to have one made. I sent my left bracket to Minnovation in Bradford and they CNC'd a right mirror for me and it's a perfect fit. Problem is it'll cost you £300! That's the reason most folks stick with the later K/F simple pin brackets...

Right hand 'C' brackets for the early type fork legs are available from Bernie Saunders.

Cheers
Eric
Honda CR750
Honda CB750K3
Kawasaki 750H2B
Suzuki GS750
Honda CB175
Honda CB350F
Yamaha R1

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,94588.0.html

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 08:10:30 am »
How much Mr B ?

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 09:04:00 am »

Is that Bernie Saunders from the White Shoots Garage?  And yeah, how much for the bracket?  Cast or milled?  Thanks! RR

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
    • Moonpie
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 12:34:56 pm »
Right hand 'C' brackets for the early type fork legs are available from Bernie Saunders.

Cheers
Eric
Yes but how many years do you have to wait for delivery Eric?  ;D
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 02:13:05 pm »

Cheers
Eric
Yes but how many years do you have to wait for delivery Eric?  ;D

And let's not forget to mention the $100K price tag that most of us will be concerned with!   :o  RR

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 10:07:10 pm »
I will gladly sell my bracket for the measly price of $50k, and mail it tomorrow! ;)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 12:51:21 am »
How much will you charge me to ship to the UK, $50K saving on Bernies price is a great.

Sam. ;D ;D ;D
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 01:00:12 am »
How much will you charge me to ship to the UK, $50K saving on Bernies price is a great.

Sam. ;D ;D ;D

Hmmmm....OK Sam, i have this spiffy looking Opera House i've been trying to sell....interested?  Oh , its a Nigerian Title..... ;D

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 01:36:58 am »
 ;D
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
    • Moonpie
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 01:50:05 am »
Sam,

You can have my right hand C brakcet for a measly $45k and I'll hand deliver it at the weekend for you  :D
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE