Author Topic: cb 550f what's that noise? help  (Read 3868 times)

Bartas85

cb 550f what's that noise? help
« on: February 06, 2011, 05:41:56 am »
Hi.
Please can You help me defining this noise. Watch the video and post what do You think.
Thanks for your help.  :)

Offline Spikeybike

• when planting C4 at your enemy's base make sure you don't use a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • member #1150
Re: cb 550f what's that noise? help
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 09:19:27 am »
first off ... either that's not an F or it's an F with a lot of K parts on it 

and to try and answer your question, if it's a knocking noise your concerned about , it's most likely the tappets need adjusting , but could also be the cam chain tensioner needs adjusting or god forbid the primary chain needs to be replaced

with the bike running , put your hand on the tappet covers (all of them)  you should feel the vibrations of the motor , if you feel a tapping , adjust your tappets ....hope that helps

Offline Fritz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 10:57:23 am »
It's hard to judge the noise from a youtube video.
That knocking/ringing can be anything like:
- Tappets need adjustment
- Cam chain loose/worn
- Exhaust header does not seal in the head (close the baffle with a rag when motor is running)
- Primary chain slack (noise should reduce/go away when pulling the clutch)
- Con rod bearing

You should first do a tuneup: Use fresh oil and filter, adjust cam chain, tappets and points, install clean air filter, clean carbs, set idle jet, sync carbs. Then re-evaluate the noise.
To locate the source of the noise you can point a long screwdriver to various places on the motor and hold your ear against the grip.
1976 CB550F

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 10:58:40 am »
Pity we don't have more on-site info than "noise from entire bike".
Even a simplistic localization of where the noise is coming from would have helped.
Seeing it has a CB500 motor, I suspect a trans problem/ shift fork/drum issue.
Does it make the noise while the clutch is pulled in?
Does it make the noise when it is in gear?  All gears?  Is there one that the noise stops or changes.

Could be exhaust header gaskets leaking.

Could be there is no oil in it.

Could be you have advanced rocker shaft bearing wear in the cylinder cover.  And, the tappets are hitting the cover.

How many miles on it?

Looking at the bike, I have to wonder why all of a sudden, maintenance is of any concern at all.  Looks to have been consistently neglected up to now.
Maybe it is finally used up enough to throw away.

Good luck!

Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Bartas85

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 12:15:04 pm »
Thanks for your help. I will check all you've wrote. I've just bought that bike. It needs lot of work. I'm going to rebuilt it.
On frame there is cb550F.  I asked about the noise because it is always  better to ask :) . I just hope that it is nothing serious.  :-\

Offline Fritz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 10:07:03 pm »
Hey Barta,

Lloyd is right. Without enough information, we can't give you a proper diagnosis.
How much time and money do you want to spend on the bike? It looks like it has been neglected in the past and that it could cost you more than you can image now to put it back on the road (and last more than 200miles).
First of all, you should read the 500/550 Workshop Manual: http://www.sohc4.net/index.php/cb550/books-manuals-guides-2
Beginning with the first section "Maintenance Operations": http://data.sohc4.net/SM500/HSM500550_1.pdf
Unfortunately, pages 7 and 8 are missing, but I think they deal with vacuum syncing the carbs, and this is the last step in a complete tuneup.
With the proper tools it's not hard to adjust the cam chain, tappets and points and see if it's worth to do more work on it.
And please: Don't rev it up to red line if the motor is in neutral or not warmed up (10miles/15minutes of riding)
1976 CB550F