Author Topic: "Hondaman" Transistorized Ignition owners: need your comments, please...  (Read 20821 times)

Offline Raef

• Expert
I know, I just couldn't get Ronco and his combover out of my head till I typed it
 ::)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 11:22:19 am by raef »

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
that sounds like the one then terry,i wasnt sure if mick new what ignition he was going to use yet,,a programmable one would be the go for his highly modified,weights and springs seem a bit archaic in his case.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
that sounds like the one then terry,i wasnt sure if mick new what ignition he was going to use yet,,a programmable one would be the go for his highly modified,weights and springs seem a bit archaic in his case.

Sorry Dave, i wasn't sure who you were talking to... ;)   I will be using the Dyna 2000 mate, everyone i have spoken too recommends it as the only one to use for my bike... Thanks for the info Terry...

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
I know, I just couldn't get Ronco and his combover out of my head till I typed it
 ::)

Oh, yeah, I remember that guy! Lousy inventions that were always on TV, and people bought the plastic marvels. I remember especially the "Pocket Fisherman", which could hook you in your own ass on the cast.  :o
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
5 pages of love-fest............. so, comments please. Right,.... Mark I would be cautious of describing your 'gizmo ( yours) as anything above ' points-saver' out in the real world... as any enhancements to ignition performance are not sustainable, as you know... no diss intended and no let-down to buyers meant either.....
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
5 pages of love-fest............. so, comments please. Right,.... Mark I would be cautious of describing your 'gizmo ( yours) as anything above ' points-saver' out in the real world... as any enhancements to ignition performance are not sustainable, as you know... no diss intended and no let-down to buyers meant either.....

You start this out with sarcasm and then finish with "no diss intended" kinda hypocritical don't you think.   Let it go FFS...

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
Here's a few name possibilities if you're still pondering:

-SHOX BOX
-SHOX BOX - Mark IV
-TRANSDORA'S BOX
-The FLUX CAPACITOR II
-IGN-O-TRANS
-R.P.M. (Reliable Performance Module)
-S.P.A.M. Deluxe (Saturation and Pulse Amplifier Module)....deluxe
-The FEED UNIT
-ULTRA IGNITER
-MEGA MODULE
-THUNDER UNIT
-THE BENEFACTOR
-ATTACK PACK
-PULSEBLAST 3000
-PUNCH MONKEY
-DWELLMINATOR
-SATURATO SUPREME
-IGNITE-O-MAG
-SLICK SPARK "Mark III"
-THE SCREAMIN' SHOX BOX
...I'm stuck on that shox box.... ahah

Cheers!

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
Hey Retro, quit using the F word in response to my posts, would ya?
What I am saying is that HM's ignition addition can only be called a 'points saver' devise, despite all kinds of boosted ignition claims by owners ( normal, when you buy something you expect it to be some value so you attach all kinds of imagined improvements to it ).
It is just a second switch. Instead of just the points, let's put a second switch between them and the coils. While the reduced current to the points will make them last for a much longer time, inserting the devise actually causes a slight loss ( bias current + heat ) over the stock set-up.  Claims of 'I've had mine installed for years" only mean it's a safe devise to install .
HM himself makes no claim beyond the ' points longevity' statement and  using phrases like ' better than Dyna' and ' electronic ignition' don't apply.... .... remember that these transistors are added to the ignition circuit, they don't replace any of the stock components or make the stock wiring ( supplying the ignition ) new in any way and are still triggered by the points in exactly the same way as the stock ignition.
 It's certainly not 'mean' to express these facts, just know what it is, not what you might imagine it to be........

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
Well, just to set the 'record' straight on what this gadget does (or does not) do...

The points, once they have more than 1000 miles or so on them, drop approximately 0.5 volt during short-term closure (i.e., at engine speeds above 4500 RPM, in these bikes, or 1500 RPM in the typical old V8 engines). This has been a factor since the inception if the Kettering design. The condensor is there to help mitigate the arcing and reduce the surface damage that creates this "hot drop", as it is called. The transistors drop only 0.3 volt below the coils, so they are better than anything but brand-new points.

In addition, this box does have a feature I have not talked much about, because few understand it: I have a dual-peak output circuit that "floats" a resonance voltage at low RPM (below 2000) and high RPM (above 6800 RPM) to cause increased coil charge and to automatically match to the varying coils that the SOHC4 riders use, like Dyna or Accel coils, among others. This is specifically what gives the 1975 and later bikes such an improved cold-start performance with this box, removing the cold-bloodedness that tungsten (on the points) has below 100 degrees F (which causes weak spark until the engine heats them up). The second part of this circuit increases the spark at high RPM, extending the useful range of even the stock Honda coils to over 15,000 RPM (not that many of these SOHC4 engines go that far, but I have built them to do so in the past - which started this thing, in 1973).

So, yes, it DOES improve the system...I just let the owners decide how much, and if they can see the difference. I have found, as an engineer for nearly 35 years, that sooner or later, the superior products do float to the top if they can survive the initial increased price resistance.  :D

Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Offline HondaMan

• Really Old Timer ...
Here's a few name possibilities if you're still pondering:

-SHOX BOX
-SHOX BOX - Mark IV
-TRANSDORA'S BOX
-The FLUX CAPACITOR II
-IGN-O-TRANS
-R.P.M. (Reliable Performance Module)
-S.P.A.M. Deluxe (Saturation and Pulse Amplifier Module)....deluxe
-The FEED UNIT
-ULTRA IGNITER
-MEGA MODULE
-THUNDER UNIT
-THE BENEFACTOR
-ATTACK PACK
-PULSEBLAST 3000
-PUNCH MONKEY
-DWELLMINATOR
-SATURATO SUPREME
-IGNITE-O-MAG
-SLICK SPARK "Mark III"
-THE SCREAMIN' SHOX BOX
...I'm stuck on that shox box.... ahah

Cheers!

Wow, thanks! What a fertile mind!  :D
I gotta cogitate on these. There's some good ideas here...

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
Well, of course, It has to be called the HM Mark I, HM Mark II, (etc depending on the version) Ignition Booster
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
Ooooo... fertile mind! ahah  I like that  ;D  
Thanks.  Feel free to manipulate, extrapulate and...inter-copulate any which way you please.

and "Cogitate"...shall be the new word of the day!...excellent

Cheers!
I must go to the bathroom and cogitate.   :P
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 09:23:14 am by HedNut »

Offline spitcrazy

• Enthusiast
  • 1973 CB500 FOUR - German Model.... Funky Tailight!
DYNA has something that appears similar to Mark's ignition: http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/products/accessories/Dyna_Boosters/

Methinks Mark can make similar claims.
1973 CB500 FOUR - German Model.... Funky Tailight!

Offline Hondell

• Enthusiast
  • Just an easy 1000 Hr. resto
Hondaman:

Just wondering... It sounds like you're using a bipolar to switch with (.3v drop). Any thoughts to use a fet with a very low Rds like .015 ohm or so? I use these on my CDI I designed for my 750's and they really are efficient devices.
1972 Cb750 resto- 1972 Cb750 stoplight racer- 1972 Cb750 vintage touring - 1979 CBX- 1982 Kaw GPZ- 1968 Honda SS125A

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
Excuse me but statements like' floats a voltage at low rpm' is very misleading and not obtainable in a point/coil ignition as all available energy is immediately dissapated the moment the point ( transistor) opens, nothing can be 'stored' to assist the next pulse.
Also the devise receives no rpm information from the engine to 'boost' at low or high rpm.

Offline P_Camps

• Enthusiast

Hondaman I do want one of your ignitions is there somewhere I can go to get it?
1978 CB550

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
Excuse me but statements like' floats a voltage at low rpm' is very misleading and not obtainable in a point/coil ignition as all available energy is immediately dissapated the moment the point ( transistor) opens, nothing can be 'stored' to assist the next pulse.
Also the devise receives no rpm information from the engine to 'boost' at low or high rpm.

Ok Spanner we have all worked out that you either don't like Mark or you don't like the ignition system, no one cares and you are just making an arse of yourself. I thought you had worked that out before you left, after apologizing, but obviously not........so what did you apologize for?  .......You have an opinion of one, try keeping it to yourself for the benefit of everyone... ???
If you don't like the "F" word {and i only used "F" not the word} then stop spamming this thread....

Mick
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 03:35:54 pm by retro rocket »
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
It is obtainable in a point/coil ignition.  See here:

http://tiny.cc/izy8b

Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline P_Camps

• Enthusiast

Ok Spanner we have all worked out that you either don't like Mark or you don't like the ignition system, no one cares and you are just making an arse of yourself. I thought you had worked that out before you left, after apologizing, but obviously not........so what did you apologize for?  .......You have an opinion of one, try keeping it to yourself for the benefit of everyone... ???
If you don't like the "F" word {and i only used "F" not the word} then stop spamming this thread....

Mick

I'm new to this forum and I dont know hondaman or spanner and I agree.... complete Arse.

1978 CB550

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
Retro, your wrong on both counts...... why is it wrong of me to ask questions about something when the maker is available to ask those questions to ?  Grow up, and someone explain why a simple transistor switch can do all the above 'floating, boosting and rpm sensing'.???

Offline spitcrazy

• Enthusiast

F you, F your mom, F your comments and learn how to spell  ::) you arse... it's DEVI C E!!!!! You F'n hillbilly.

I have tried to be nice and no more. You jumped on me at the beginning about being an expert in advertising and I kept cool, you ran away like a wee boy for 13 days and opened a thread to say bye-bye to boost your self esteem.

What are you here for SFB? What about the video thread from you in the tech forum of you and your b--ch out for a joyride. F, that really helped everyone here... loads of info. :o  Everyone go watch it: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=65342 Great information there right boys? Nothing but tech info.

The unit gets the power from the battery and is live all the time. Do you know what's inside? Capacitors can hold a charge:  http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/capacitor.htm

As RPM's rise the frequency of the points opening rises, Nope never heard of any electronics capable of counting and measuring time.

Moderators, off with this man's head!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 04:35:11 pm by spitcrazy »

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
  • humanitas, qualitas, quantitas and velocitas
Spanner,

This thread was a request for ideas from HondaMan.  If you have questions about the product, a more appropriate place to ask them would be here: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0     
"Transistorized Ignitions, aka Hondaman Ignition...and Gas Cap Hinge Pins."... where the product is sold.  So... Is it wrong for you to ask questions about the product in this thread?  It may not be "wrong" to ask questions here, but I would certainly argue inappropriate. 

Your previous posts show plenty of throwing around the "F" letter.  Must others operate under different rules?

If you have concerns about the words contemplated in marketing the product, you should probably not buy one. That becomes your vote.   

It certainly seems that the intended purpose(s) of your posts in this thread is to criticize the product.   Again, I think you're in the wrong thread (maybe the wrong forum).  There a lot of folks here that are very happy with how the product works (me included). 

If you're looking to go toe to toe with someone on an engineering discussion (intending to win), I'd not recommend you do it with HondaMan (I don't think I know a brighter man).  ...Nor would I recommend that HondaMan indulge you (if you want to know why, PM me). 

We're all pretty fortunate that HondaMan chooses our bikes as the "subject" of his hobby.  There are plenty here that would go a long way to support him.  The value proposition (for us) of HondaMan on this forum is incredible and doesn't need to be substantiated.  We like him here.  Get off his back. 

John
K6
K7 
Suzuki GN400 - Ignition fixed!
03 KLR650 - Doesn't do anything very well but.. well.. does everything.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
Retro, your wrong on both counts...... why is it wrong of me to ask questions about something when the maker is available to ask those questions to ?  Grow up, and someone explain why a simple transistor switch can do all the above 'floating, boosting and rpm sensing'.???

Why are you wrong?  Because what you are doing is not the idea of this thread. Grow up you say!!   I find that very amusing mate, maybe its time to listen to your own advice....

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline axehole54

• Who the heck decided to call me a
  • Hot Shot
  • #169 North
I'm trying not to let this get under my skin... it's not my fight.... however I don't care for you trying to bully Hondaman It's making you sound like an extra special kinda arse
73 750k, 78 750k, 69 c10, 87 r1500 (c10), 94 fzr1000

Offline spitcrazy

• Enthusiast
I'm trying not to let this get under my skin... it's not my fight.... however I don't care for you trying to bully Hondaman It's making you sound like an extra special kinda arse

He bullies everywhere on this forum. Just go to his profile and read his posts. It's insane what he comes up with. When he came back to the forum and came back here it got under my skin.  :(