Author Topic: monoshock, what benefit?  (Read 11855 times)

traveler

monoshock, what benefit?
« on: June 15, 2010, 07:20:44 am »
Curious....

What is the benefit of having a monoshock suspension in the rear versus a dual shock arrangement, if both are set up for handling.

There MUST be a reson besides the looks.

Thanks,

~Joe

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
Re: monoshock, what benefit?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 07:36:35 am »
Curious....

What is the benefit of having a monoshock suspension in the rear versus a dual shock arrangement, if both are set up for handling.

Thanks,

~Joe

There are some potential handling benefits from the design that a 2 shock system no matter how good, cannot duplicate. Basically, builders would strive to get all weight within a triangle descrbed by the front and rear axles and some point above the tank centered between the axles. For center of gravity reasons. (This is why putting a battery in the seat cowl makes me cringe, though it does allow for a cleaner look.)

A monoshock puts all the shock weight within that triangle, the 2 shock never can. It also usually has less unsprung weight. This is the weight that is below the halfway point on the spring. It is the weight that travels up and down and a builder would want to reduce that to a minimum. (That is why i have trouble with fat wheel/tire combos on a cafe racer.) A monoshock has only one shock body, albeit slightly larger, but still is less than 2 shock bodies. The mono shock body also travels a lot less distance which is good for momentum restriction.

It is also the reason why higher performance shocks, front and rear, are mounted upside down, to reduce unsprung weight.

But for most riders, a well done 2 shock system will outperform their ability to ride it and the monoshock is overkill.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 07:45:43 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

traveler

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 07:52:14 am »
okay...thanks.

I thought doing it to my bike at some point may look cool, but wanted to know the performance difference.

My little A123 battery weights about 1-2 lbs....so I don't have to worry about adverse weight handling woes, thank goodness!

Yeah.....I can't ride good enough to see the difference. :D

~Joe
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 07:53:49 am by traveler »

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 07:59:06 am »
Didn't realize you had put the bat in the cowl, no offense meant, and at 1-2 lbs, no foul.

I can't ride good enough for it to matter either, but i appreciate the efforts and design theory.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 08:01:06 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline sangyo soichiro

• Tuck
  • Master
  • ☢ the atomic playboy ☠
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 08:07:39 am »
Curious....

Thanks,

~Joe

There are some potential handling benefits from the design that a 2 shock system no matter how good, cannot duplicate. Basically, builders would strive to get all weight within a triangle descrbed by the front and rear axles and some point above the tank centered between the axles. For center of gravity reasons. (This is why putting a battery in the seat cowl makes me cringe, though it does allow for a cleaner look.)

A monoshock puts all the shock weight within that triangle, the 2 shock never can. It also usually has less unsprung weight. This is the weight that is below the halfway point on the spring. It is the weight that travels up and down and a builder would want to reduce that to a minimum. (That is why i have trouble with fat wheel/tire combos on a cafe racer.) A monoshock has only one shock body, albeit slightly larger, but still is less than 2 shock bodies. The mono shock body also travels a lot less distance which is good for momentum restriction.

It is also the reason why higher performance shocks, front and rear, are mounted upside down, to reduce unsprung weight.

But for most riders, a well done 2 shock system will outperform their ability to ride it and the monoshock is overkill.

Excellent post Ron!
1974 CB 750
1972 CB 750 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,57974.0.html
1971 CL 350 Scrambler
1966 Black Bomber
Too many others to name…
My cross country trip: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,138625.0.html

Offline weekend_junkie

• I bet you think I'm some
  • Hot Shot
  • Member # 15859
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 09:38:33 am »
CG and unsprug weight are big improvements, but I understand that a single shock is also superior because dual shocks will promote swingarm twisting and effectively have different rebound rates when coming out of hard corners.  Again as Ron said, this is beyond the skill of 99% of riders.

Just to be a stickler for detail, isnt' "monoshock" trademarked by Suzuki?  I think Honda's "pro-arm" suspension is their proprietary hardware.
Dan
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer / 1981 CB900F / 2002 VFR800 / 1973 CB350F / 1973 CB350F mistake / 1976 CB360T Cafe /1976 CB200 Cafe / 1989 GL1500 w/ sidecar / 1949 IMZ w/ sidecar

traveler

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 10:18:33 am »
yeah....but I reserve the right to call it a monoshock, whether Suzuki likes it or not! ;D

~Joe

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 12:43:06 pm »
Along with the benefits of having only one shock body and thus lighter weight & better centralized mass, the real benefit is the adaptation of true rising rate suspension... due to use of linkages between the shock and the swingarm.  When Yamaha, who owns the name "monoshock" first arrive it was nothing more than a single long shock and spring attached to back of steering head and routed under fuel tank, back to a triangulated swingarm mounting point. This system did not have a linkage to change the rate of susspension, as it operated through its range of movement.  And in the time it was better than two shocks, mostly due to it was very hard to make any two shocks that close in performance... due to state of the art of manufacturing at the time.

IE: You did not have to try match two shocks to each other when using only one shock.

It was only later when the Japanese manufactures added the linkages to the "system" that they became much better handling motorbikes.

KOS

220...221, whatever it takes.

Offline sangyo soichiro

• Tuck
  • Master
  • ☢ the atomic playboy ☠
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 12:50:17 pm »
You guys are making me want to go out and buy a modern crotch rocket!  (I've sort of been wanting one for a long time anyway....)   :)
1974 CB 750
1972 CB 750 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,57974.0.html
1971 CL 350 Scrambler
1966 Black Bomber
Too many others to name…
My cross country trip: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,138625.0.html

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 01:02:30 pm »
Thanks KOS, for the addtl info, I was sure i was leaving stuff out.

Love to hear from those that live it.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 01:16:59 pm »
Your welcome and to sharpen the pencil just a bit more, here are the names that the respective manufactures used in their sales brochures.

Monoshock by Yamaha (for original version with no linkage)

Monocross was Yamaha's name when they added linkage. (yamaha also used the name Mono-X)

Uni Trak by Kawaaski

Pro Link by Honda

Full Floater by Suzuki

KOS

Offline kayaker43

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 12:20:45 pm »
I had a single shock rising rate linkage on my CB590 racer in 1978. It was inspired by the early Bimota and Suzuki "Full Floater" of that era.

I've been watching the trend ever since and the early designs had an aggressive rising rate that has all but disappeared now. Even on dirt bikes, the spring rate curve is fairly flat with less than a 10% rise at the end. Considering dirt bikes need the ability to land from 60 foot jumps, I can see the need for a rising rate at the end. Keep in mind that the damping is also ramped up with the spring rate as opposed to a progressive spring only. Also notice that KTM and others have done just as well with no linkages. You can get a similar rate gain through simple geometry and can get a damping increase with internal shock tricks. I think linkages are still relevant to supercross but not needed for woods riding or anything without big jumps,.. hence the success of KTM in the off road market.

I don't believe a linkage is even remotely neccessary for street or roadracing. The rising rate curves there have been getting more linear to the point where you can get the same results using simple geometry and no linkage.

Now its all marketing, after decades of buzzwords and hype, its hard for any manufacturer to admit its not needed, and customers just expect a linkage to be there. I hope to build a custom frame soon and it will have a single shock with no linkage. This has all the benefits of mass centralization but less weight than a linkage system.

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 01:21:33 pm »
News Flash

KTM is now selling some new models with linkages in single shock versions.

KOS

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 02:56:58 pm »
I had a single shock rising rate linkage on my CB590 racer in 1978. It was inspired by the early Bimota and Suzuki "Full Floater" of that era.

I've been watching the trend ever since and the early designs had an aggressive rising rate that has all but disappeared now. Even on dirt bikes, the spring rate curve is fairly flat with less than a 10% rise at the end. Considering dirt bikes need the ability to land from 60 foot jumps, I can see the need for a rising rate at the end. Keep in mind that the damping is also ramped up with the spring rate as opposed to a progressive spring only. Also notice that KTM and others have done just as well with no linkages. You can get a similar rate gain through simple geometry and can get a damping increase with internal shock tricks. I think linkages are still relevant to supercross but not needed for woods riding or anything without big jumps,.. hence the success of KTM in the off road market.

I don't believe a linkage is even remotely neccessary for street or roadracing. The rising rate curves there have been getting more linear to the point where you can get the same results using simple geometry and no linkage.

Now its all marketing, after decades of buzzwords and hype, its hard for any manufacturer to admit its not needed, and customers just expect a linkage to be there. I hope to build a custom frame soon and it will have a single shock with no linkage. This has all the benefits of mass centralization but less weight than a linkage system.

you are right , most modern rear suspension has very little rising rate [ although they do have a linkage , this is normally to do with the positioning of the shock and not the rising rate ]. the reason this works is because shocks have improved so much over the last 20 years  , the early monoshock bikes needed the rising rate to make the crap shock work

Offline kayaker43

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 03:15:04 pm »
Kawasaki Versys has no linkage, sometimes customers or sylists drive the design instead of the engineers?

Cannondale had their ohlins shock mounted at an extreme angle that gave a rising rate equal to linkage bikes. The KTM is not quite as extreme and needs a progressive spring to match a CR250 spring rate curve. http://www.racetech.com/articles/ktm.htm

I agree that linkages still have some merit on dirt bikes, just can't see the need in street bikes? Maybe its the mechanic in me who hates the slop, maintenance, and weight? Other  than that, theres nothing wrong with it  ::)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 09:36:44 pm »
In the early days, this type of suspension set up was refered to as cantileaver suspension and Yamaha laid claim to the design. I'm not sure if the design was not patented but Vincent were using it in the 40s I think, defo in the 50s but their design used 2 shocks or a double shock.

Sam. :)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Pinhead

• Master
  • 1979 CB652-ST
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 09:55:57 pm »
The advantage I see is the ability to triangulate the forces to keep the frame good 'n stiff. But that's just from me eyeballing various pictures of frames on the 'net.
Doug

Click --> Cheap Regulator/Rectifier for any of Honda's 3-phase charging systems (all SOHC4's).

GM HEI Ignition Conversion

Quote from: TwoTired
By the way, I'm going for the tinfoil pants...so they can't read my private thoughts.
:D

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 11:28:10 pm »
In the early days, this type of suspension set up was refered to as cantileaver suspension and Yamaha laid claim to the design. I'm not sure if the design was not patented but Vincent were using it in the 40s I think, defo in the 50s but their design used 2 shocks or a double shock.

Sam. :)

Oooo so here's a trivia question for you lot of clever heads - who was the first manufacturer to use a single shock rear suspension? Was it Yamaha by default or is there some old Cholmondeley-Featherstonehaugh 350 out there with one on?  ???
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline kayaker43

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 06:21:45 am »
Vincent Black Shadow has one,.. still probably not the first. They were still experimenting back then before we got stuck in the telescopic forks/twin shocks rut.

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 10:14:18 am »
the vincent was not really a monoshock as it used two shocks side by side , no idea who had the first true monoshock , the first one i can remember was on a yamaha racer , early 70s

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 11:36:04 am »
phil irving was way ahead of his time but so were NSU in 1914....

I cant be certain that there is just one spring in there at the back (looks like), but they surely beat Irving on the sprung rear triangular swingarm idea by quite few years. amazing.

what a company it was, a 50's NSU 250 Max with eccentric cam drive (monoshock too BTW) is still very high on my "gotta have one" list.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10983301@N06/2236910846/in/set-72157603838957001/

So LMP, can I choose the prize? A spin on your CR maybe? :)

TG

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 02:27:25 pm »
what a fantastic bike , it is amazing what people where doing nearly a hundred years ago

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 04:56:09 pm »
I have read that mono shock design has been around since the early 1900's. The Vincent had 2 shocks..

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.