Author Topic: kickstart gear pin, can't get it out. help.  (Read 2598 times)

Offline greasy j

• lanesplitting
  • Expert
  • non serviam
    • Dimale Painting & Restoration
kickstart gear pin, can't get it out. help.
« on: June 20, 2010, 05:39:07 pm »
it's in there pretty good. this is a 750 k1.

heat? it's hard to heat it up with out heating up parts of the gear itself. not sure if that's bad. used penetrating oil.

any tricks?

Offline greasy j

• lanesplitting
  • Expert
  • non serviam
Re: kickstart gear pin, can't get it out. help.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 05:52:53 pm »
I just punched myself in the face trying to get the damn thing out. the vise grips slipped off and whammo, cut my lip.

so what if I just leave the kickstart gear alone? how would the wiggle test work in this instance? there are not a lot of miles on this bike, can I assume it's cool if it looks ok?

oh, I'm overhauling the engine, by the way. there was no other reason for going in here. I do want to take apart the oil pump, though. and it's connected. that needs to be gone through for sure.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 06:40:00 pm »
I just punched myself in the face trying to get the damn thing out. the vise grips slipped off and whammo, cut my lip.

so what if I just leave the kickstart gear alone? how would the wiggle test work in this instance? there are not a lot of miles on this bike, can I assume it's cool if it looks ok?

oh, I'm overhauling the engine, by the way. there was no other reason for going in here. I do want to take apart the oil pump, though. and it's connected. that needs to be gone through for sure.
Many threads on this, consensus is use sidecuts, grab it down as low as possible, wiggle it side to side while levering up with screwdriver. Grab some more meat as soon as it gives some. Grab it in such a way as to close the gap when your squeezing. It will come out. I've taken out 3 my own self.

No it usually doesn't need to come out in an overhaul. Unless for bead blasting or such.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline greasy j

• lanesplitting
  • Expert
  • non serviam
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 06:49:10 pm »
so, it has some side to side wiggle, the gear itself. is this normal?

hondaman says to check these out, because they drive the oil pump, but then he says do the wiggle test first. not sure how much wiggle is cool.

should I take the oil pump apart? I was planning on it, but reading the HM book, he says not to worry about it unless it's having probs. what if I just change out the o-rings?

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 07:11:21 pm »
so, it has some side to side wiggle, the gear itself. is this normal?

hondaman says to check these out, because they drive the oil pump, but then he says do the wiggle test first. not sure how much wiggle is cool.

should I take the oil pump apart? I was planning on it, but reading the HM book, he says not to worry about it unless it's having probs. what if I just change out the o-rings?
Wiggle? Never seen one that was bad so don't know.

I've had a few pumps apart, not much you can do to them, measure rotors for wear, I guess, but all I've measured were within tolerance. If mileage is below 50K and you've never pumped a melted piston or cam bits thru it, I'd just clean the screens, replace the obvious Orings and go on.

I found one on eBay supposedly with 7500 miles on it for my project. Sweet.

YMMV
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline greasy j

• lanesplitting
  • Expert
  • non serviam
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 08:11:43 pm »
thanks MCR

I'll prob just leave the damn thing in. the slotted pin will not budge for anything and I'm afraid I'll break it like I did the case bolt that I now have to have EDM'd out.

Offline greasy j

• lanesplitting
  • Expert
  • non serviam
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 12:18:56 am »
I admit it. I have OCD. I couldn't just let it alone. the cross cut pliers and lever trick weren't working, but I thought of something else.

with the cross cuts I couldn't get a good enough grip. if I used vise grips it would crush the pin and slide off.

so I put a metal post the size of the ID of the pin into the pin, pounded it in a bit, then clamped the vise grips onto the pin over the post. this way it can not crush and is held firmly. then I heated and twisted and pulled. it finally came out.

I have a fat black lip now from when the pliers slipped off the first time. but victory at last!

so, maybe that'll help someone else someday.

Offline Gcolgett

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 08:28:00 am »
Good to see that you got the pin out. The way you did it I am sure that someday it will help someone else.Will your case be done today? George C

Offline greasy j

• lanesplitting
  • Expert
  • non serviam
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 05:45:37 pm »
not yet, they're busy. but I'm not in a hurry, so it's cool.

Offline GRock

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 08:45:55 pm »
Thank You Greasy J!!! The factory manual shows them using a needle nose pliers and that wasn't doing a thing. I guess they have really good needle nose pliers in Japan! Anyway, I'll be using your method within the week!