Author Topic: Anybody had anything painted by this guy?  (Read 3191 times)

Offline grumpy

• HUH?!?! ME!?!? I'm not a freakin
  • Expert
  • ..... '73 750K3 .....

Offline Simpson

• I ain't no
  • Expert
  • Aged to perfection
Re: Anybody had anything painted by this guy?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 09:10:56 pm »
yeah the parts labeled " 750 sandcast" are mine in the listing.
He is currently painting my 450 parts.

Might have him paint my 360 also... Haven't decided yet.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:19:22 pm by Simpson »
1970 CB750 K0
1975 CL/CB 360 Mix

Offline grumpy

• Expert
  • ..... '73 750K3 .....
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 12:11:37 am »
Heh - so I guess that means you're happy w/ his work then, right?

How are his colors? Are they true to the old Honda paints?

Offline Simpson

• I ain't no
  • Expert
  • Aged to perfection
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 06:10:38 am »
Heh - so I guess that means you're happy w/ his work then, right?

How are his colors? Are they true to the old Honda paints?

He also painted my friend's CB360...

His name is Paul and he paints pretty well.
I've had many people compliment my CB750 paint job.
"It looks better than orginal"

Job Completion time - Fast
Shipping Protection - Effective but odd materials
Paint application - I'd give him a 9 out of 10
Color duplication - Good enough to where I can't tell if its off

I would describe the service as best bang for the buck.
Had one instance where we disagreed over 50 bucks and I had to just suck it up.
Later he admitted I was right, oh well...
But I keep going back, as good vintage CB painters don't grow on trees.
Paul has probably painted hundreds by now.

1970 CB750 K0
1975 CL/CB 360 Mix

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 09:24:47 am »
Grumpy, check out his bike for this months BOTM.  That is a seriously pretty bike that Simpson has.  Oh, and somer perrrrrrrty paint.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline ironbutter

• Enthusiast
  • 1971 CB750 K1 ~ JDM ~ Polynesian Blue ~ 8K mi
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 12:56:33 pm »
I talked to him a couple of weeks ago about doing a job for me, turns out he buys the Dondirtbiker paint kits at vintagehondapaint.com, available for $150 to your door. I found a guy locally to paint the stuff for me. That should save me around $100 with shipping over his prices when I get it done this summer. You may shop around locally for a small shop.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 01:06:20 pm by ironbutter »
"Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle."

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 01:03:43 pm »
I've used him three times. All three had problems - Ripples in the clear, peeling on the inside, wrong color, huge wait time. Won't go back.

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 01:44:12 pm »
I've used him three times. All three had problems - Ripples in the clear, peeling on the inside, wrong color, huge wait time. Won't go back.

Fool me once?  ;)
It is a proven fact that modifying a SOHC Honda in any way will bring on the apocalypse.

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 03:32:03 pm »
No, three times >:( I guess I have a lot of trust in people.

Offline grumpy

• Expert
  • ..... '73 750K3 .....
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 06:00:44 pm »
... turns out he buys the Dondirtbiker paint kits at vintagehondapaint.com, available for $150 to your door. I found a guy locally to paint the stuff for me.

good idea.

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 06:01:37 pm »
I had sent him some questions on eBay about his work. I wanted info on his application methods, how many coats of clear, etc. He never answered my questions so that is as far as I would go as far as dealing with him. Now after hearing what mycb750k6 has to say I will not send him anything. This board is a very valuable tool. I found a local guy (WI) that knows his stuff regarding the applications of candy paints. Below is my KO candy ruby red I just got back. If anyone wants his name and number you can PM me. And it will cost more than the person in this thread topic.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 06:05:13 pm by Johnie »
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 04:45:53 am »
No, three times >:( I guess I have a lot of trust in people.

Well, I've got to respect your optimism mycb750k6!  

I'm fortunate enough to be able to paint my own stuff.  Then the only person to blame is me!  
It is a proven fact that modifying a SOHC Honda in any way will bring on the apocalypse.

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 05:20:45 am »
Hey Johnie,
I think I'd like to take you up on that. I'm tired of looking at my brownish candy ruby red tank. How much to just redo my tank would you think? I believe you have my email.

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 05:26:45 am »
Since we're on the topic, who else can paint my candy ruby red tank and get it right besides Johnie's guy? Johnie's guy may be out of my budget considering I've already paid to have the tank panted  :P I guess I'll have to spring for another set of decals too. It's annoying to ride around on that thing and know it's new and know it's not right. You know what I mean - right?

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 09:41:31 am »
Save your money on the decal purchase and find a guy who can duplicate them in paint. That is what you see on my tank there.
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline Simpson

• I ain't no
  • Expert
  • Aged to perfection
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 10:10:58 am »
Here's mine with decals...

1970 CB750 K0
1975 CL/CB 360 Mix

Offline andyrust

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 11:24:04 am »
I sent 74cb750k tank out to him for sunflake orange.  should be back in 10-15 days, ill post pics and info when i get it back. 

Offline greasy j

• lanesplitting
  • Expert
  • non serviam
    • Dimale Painting & Restoration
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 06:34:27 pm »
this guys not too bad ;)...

http://sites.google.com/site/dimalepainting/home/photos

actually, it's me. sorry, couldn't resist.

I haven't done tons of 'fresh from the factory' style restorations, and I won't pretend to be an expert on OEM Honda colors.

but what makes a paint job good or bad is always the same; being thorough, not cutting corners. taking the time to scuff those few hard to reach corners, etc. to be a good painter you have to be a nitpicky detail freak. it helps to be compulsive as well. pride in your work is the icing on the cake.

if a guy doesn't want to talk about how he does what he does, I wouldn't trust him. but that's just me.

Offline greasy j

• lanesplitting
  • Expert
  • non serviam
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 06:37:47 pm »
Since we're on the topic, who else can paint my candy ruby red tank and get it right besides Johnie's guy? Johnie's guy may be out of my budget considering I've already paid to have the tank panted  :P I guess I'll have to spring for another set of decals too. It's annoying to ride around on that thing and know it's new and know it's not right. You know what I mean - right?

I'm actually pretty inexpensive if you're not in a hurry. I have regular hours prices, and after work, spare time prices.

email me if you're interested.

also, if you have a problem with the color it might not be the painter's fault, it could be the place that mixed it screwed up. if it's only off a tiny bit it can be hard for the painter to know that they screwed up until it's too late. does it not match other parts? or is it a matter of trying to get the exact stock color? PPG and other common co.'s don't match to 70's colors anymore. but if you get your paint through the guy that specifically carries the OEM Honda colors it shouldn't be a problem. it's a 2-part job, correct? or is it laquer?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 06:46:08 pm by greasy j »

Offline Simpson

• I ain't no
  • Expert
  • Aged to perfection
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2010, 11:23:22 am »
Since we're on the topic, who else can paint my candy ruby red tank and get it right besides Johnie's guy? Johnie's guy may be out of my budget considering I've already paid to have the tank panted  :P I guess I'll have to spring for another set of decals too. It's annoying to ride around on that thing and know it's new and know it's not right. You know what I mean - right?

I'm actually pretty inexpensive if you're not in a hurry. I have regular hours prices, and after work, spare time prices.

email me if you're interested.

also, if you have a problem with the color it might not be the painter's fault, it could be the place that mixed it screwed up. if it's only off a tiny bit it can be hard for the painter to know that they screwed up until it's too late. does it not match other parts? or is it a matter of trying to get the exact stock color? PPG and other common co.'s don't match to 70's colors anymore. but if you get your paint through the guy that specifically carries the OEM Honda colors it shouldn't be a problem. it's a 2-part job, correct? or is it laquer?

Wait a minute... who are you again?
Are you THE painter of this thread? Your location is throwing me off...
1970 CB750 K0
1975 CL/CB 360 Mix

Offline greasy j

• lanesplitting
  • Expert
  • non serviam
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2010, 11:44:29 am »
no, just a random painter. sorry to confuse.

I don't know this guy. I'm sure he knows more about OEM colors and whatnot than most painters, though. so if you want a perfect restoration he seems like the guy to go to.

Offline Simpson

• I ain't no
  • Expert
  • Aged to perfection
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2010, 11:54:11 am »

I don't know this guy. I'm sure he knows more about OEM colors and whatnot than most painters, though. so if you want a perfect restoration he seems like the guy to go to.

Rats... I was going to run some things by you for some up coming projects.
 ;D
1970 CB750 K0
1975 CL/CB 360 Mix

Offline greasy j

• lanesplitting
  • Expert
  • non serviam
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2010, 04:53:52 pm »

;D

you still can. if I don't feel like I can do a great job I'll defer to someone else. as far as restorations for shows and whatnot all that I'm lacking is information. the techniques are all the same. if I was to take on a job of this type I would just make sure I got my paint from a source that knows about OEM Honda colors and trust them to get that part right.

sometimes people want this type of work done with laquer, the old fashioned way. I am used to using modern materials at this point, and it's kind of a pain to deal with the old stuff. they don't even sell it anymore here in Cali. but if that's not an issue then it's all the same. I can also do the stripes in paint for people who don't like decals.

so, I will take longer than someone who specializes in Honda restorations and might have to do a little research, but you would definitely save money. I'm pretty reasonable, especially for SOHC members.

I would like to do some of this type of work, by the way. for the experience. but I want to be 100% honest about what I have and haven't done so far. up to you.

thanks for the interest either way.

Offline Simpson

• I ain't no
  • Expert
  • Aged to perfection
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2010, 05:54:29 pm »

;D

you still can. if I don't feel like I can do a great job I'll defer to someone else. as far as restorations for shows and whatnot all that I'm lacking is information. the techniques are all the same. if I was to take on a job of this type I would just make sure I got my paint from a source that knows about OEM Honda colors and trust them to get that part right.

sometimes people want this type of work done with laquer, the old fashioned way. I am used to using modern materials at this point, and it's kind of a pain to deal with the old stuff. they don't even sell it anymore here in Cali. but if that's not an issue then it's all the same. I can also do the stripes in paint for people who don't like decals.

so, I will take longer than someone who specializes in Honda restorations and might have to do a little research, but you would definitely save money. I'm pretty reasonable, especially for SOHC members.

I would like to do some of this type of work, by the way. for the experience. but I want to be 100% honest about what I have and haven't done so far. up to you.

thanks for the interest either way.

Cool, i'll keep you in mind!
Options are a good thing...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 08:16:32 pm by Simpson »
1970 CB750 K0
1975 CL/CB 360 Mix

Offline hijynx

• 750k2
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2010, 07:09:25 pm »
might check with this guy- http://www.marblesmotors.com/  he restores old hondas & sells paint. I had my 750 painted with a vintagehonda kit, but my painter didn't like the fact that the different coats had to be applied within 15 minutes of each other. as far as color & quality I have had no problem with his kit.
... and then the concussion hit!