Author Topic: How dangerous is a cracked top triple tree?  (Read 4890 times)

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
How dangerous is a cracked top triple tree?
« on: July 09, 2010, 01:17:33 am »
It's by no means a freeway bike, and I'll have it fixed by next week (either a good weld job, or an ebay replacement).

The part has less than 50 miles on it, and the bike's just recently been brought back to life after sitting for years.  We had already replaced this part, for the exact same reason, so I'm not very happy about dealing with it again.  I suspect it happened while the bike was strapped in the truck from my dad's shop an hour away to my house, but there's no telling...

I guess my question is: is something like this so dangerous that I shouldn't ride the bike the few miles to a weld shop?  Everything feels tight for now.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks Guys!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 10:32:36 am by Greggo325 »

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
Re: How dangerous is a cracked top triple tree?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 01:50:53 am »
no way man!!find a replacement.,i wouldnt trust a welded one anyway.so? youve cracked two?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 01:53:19 am by dave500 »

Swoop

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 02:38:36 am »
Sounds like you are missing the infamous spacer....where the bolt goes through to clamp.....mistake made by many.

Wouldn't ride it tho'

Steve

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 03:47:05 am »
 Wasn't there a thread on here somewhere about a guy making a spacer from a washer that came from another part of the bike (head washer or something..)?
 My CB500 is missing one spacer and I replaced the top clamp b/c it was broken. That's why it was taken off the road 28 years ago in the first place.

Can someone give the washer size or spacer size needed so I can look into making one, too?
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 07:12:07 am »
Wasn't there a thread on here somewhere about a guy making a spacer from a washer that came from another part of the bike (head washer or something..)?
 My CB500 is missing one spacer and I replaced the top clamp b/c it was broken. That's why it was taken off the road 28 years ago in the first place.

Can someone give the washer size or spacer size needed so I can look into making one, too?
That was me. I'll get a link to my post from Tricks and Tips.

here tis:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=72765.0

To the OP: I'd ride it slow and steady on the side of the road and avoid bumps. The axle and lower tree form a rectangle with some strength, but don't rely on it. Having a steel fender will help too. Have a car follow you. That's just me. YMMV
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 07:17:41 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline MADCB400F

• My 74 CB750
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 08:29:46 am »
Hi all, see item number nine for a premade washer designed for the CB750
http://www.motogrid.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/7/honda.aspx

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 08:39:22 am »
Hi all, see item number nine for a premade washer designed for the CB750
http://www.motogrid.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/7/honda.aspx
Your link doesn't get one to the exact page with the parts. That's common when cutting and pasting an address from a pick list.

On the Motogrid fiche for a CB750K2 for example, its #10, not #9. However, if you're looking at the OEM part, it is no longer available from Honda. The parts list there at Motogrid confirms this.

They are available from Yamiya, but you must buy a full top bridge hardware set for $43.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 08:43:25 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 01:48:14 pm »
Okay, I've decided to go the replacement route, and I'm sure it's been discussed before (but I can't seem to find the thread), which other models' top triple tree will work on my '71 CB500?

Thanks again for all the help.

Offline nancy

• CB750 K2'ish - SOLD!! Triumph Sprint GT2011
  • Hot Shot
  • No worries matey..
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 02:17:21 pm »
My 4 cents worth = It can be welded - by a PRO.
I did this to my K3 750 top tree. Couldn't find a replacement anyway any where  at that time so had it welded by a motor machinist shop and it has done 3,000km since. I must admit to feeling the need to check it from time to time. A professional weld will stand up - but a new part is best. My spilt was nearer the front where the bolt enters. I did this by forgetting the F'ing half washer. I will NEVER forget again. I swear that the PING sound of cracking alloy is the worst noise a home mechanic can ever hear.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 02:37:09 pm »
4 cents...inflation's a #$%*, huh.  I agree that it probably could be welded, but the streets of san francisco are some of the worst, and it was just too easy to find a new(ish) one.

Here's what I bought,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230394381704&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

it's from a 550, but it matches my part, and it came with some extra goodies I don't need, like the idiot lights, and the bottom fork.

Offline vern401

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 03:01:58 pm »
It may be just me but I would not try wielding it. I have an SL350 with the same problem. It was not because of a spacer or anything My crack was caused by a so called friend borrowing the bike and treating it like a full blown dirt bike in a gravel pit. He no longer is allowed to use it and never did pay for the replacement part.
1972 SL350
1978 750F SS
1979 XC500 Custom
1991 ZX600C4 Ninja
1982 KZ550C-3

Offline elquenada

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 04:10:59 pm »
im so glad i caught this post.  I just did some fron end work and when I put my top tree back together I wasnt sure what order the washers went back in.  Luckily i caught this before I cracked my tree too. ;D
1975 CB 550

"A veces lo que es contra lo justo
por la misma razón deleita el gusto" 
Lope de Vega

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 05:01:05 pm »
If I were you boys I would JB Weld the damn washer onto the tree so you will never for get it or lose it.   
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline BoneDaddy

• Mountain Mischief Maker
  • Glad to the bone
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 05:22:36 pm »
I have a top triple tree clamp you can have. I dunno which Honda it's from but you can try it out. If you can kick the shipping in, that's fine, if not, I'll still send it to ya. Anything to keep you from getting creamed. E-mail me your shipping address: hollowgrind@yahoo.com

P.S. Anyone know how to identify a mystery clamp so we aren't wasting time?
"Braaaaaains!"
-Tar Man