Author Topic: Yet another master cylinder thread  (Read 973 times)

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
Yet another master cylinder thread
« on: June 30, 2010, 06:52:55 am »
 In the search for a suitable master cylinder replacement, I was wondering about the m/c's that MikesXS sells. I know of several people using them and they work great with a nice, firm lever. The only problem is the mirror threads. They're RH thread for Yamaha mirrors. Know where I can find an adapter for the LH Honda threads?
 Price: About $70 plus shipping
 Which of these would you reccomend?
http://www.mikesxs.net/products-71.html#products

Also, Honda still lists a master cylinder in stock for the CB500. If I knew for sure it was the old style (round, metal reservoir), I'd just bite the bullet and order one. I have a sneaking suspicion that they've been superseded by a later model m/c. If that's the case, I can probably find the same thing cheaper from another supplier.
 Price: ~$125 (but worth it to me if it's the real deal, old school style)

Ebay: The guy on ebay who has the replacement m/c's many of you have used is temporarily out of stock. He has some similar units, but the banjo fitting is in the wrong place. It will be a few months before he has any in stock. Price: Varies...$49-99, plus shipping.

Surely someone knows the part no. for these generic m/c's that places like MikesXS and the ebay guy are selling. All really need is a # that I can use to have a local parts house order me a m/c with the correct bore size and mirror mounts.
 Unless anyone has a KNOWN GOOD stock m/c they want to sell me..... ::)
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
Re: Yet another master cylinder thread
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 07:34:18 am »
David Silver Spares had a new item replacement aftermarket mc last time I looked.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 07:41:07 am »
 Excellent. That is definitely an option now. I wonder if the stock cap works with it?
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline The_Crippler

• In regards to doing it wrong, I'm an
  • Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 08:24:55 am »
They're RH thread for Yamaha mirrors. Know where I can find an adapter for the LH Honda threads?

Looks like the same page you linked, unless I'm reading it wrong:

Mirror Adaptor Set - 8mm. to 10mm.
2 pc. Set steps up 8mm. RH thread mirror holes up to the more common 10mm. size.
Set includes 1pc. with 10mm. LH female thread (for Yamaha Brake side) and one
piece of adaptor with a 10mm. RH female thread.

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 08:31:59 am »
 NO, unless I'm reading that wrong, that's to run RH mirrors in a LH thread hole. Right? Or am I backwards? You still have one LH and one RH thread. The other is to just step up from 8mm to 10 mm.

Anyway, I found a member here with a working stock m/c (at a great price) AND I ordered one from David Silver Spares. Theirs was only $43. I oughta be able to make one of the two work....I hope.
'71 CB500 K0
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline The_Crippler

• In regards to doing it wrong, I'm an
  • Expert
  • Work in progress.
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 08:38:27 am »
Yeah, the way I was reading that was that it had one piece to step up, and then a second piece to go to the opposite thread - but that would be the point I'd shoot them an email.

But, it seems like you got everything set on your own, which is great.  Congrats on the find!