Author Topic: Bent rear frame on my K0? Dammit!  (Read 4879 times)

Offline Bob750

• I guess I better fix this thing and ride since I'm now an
  • Enthusiast
  • Climb out of your cage....... Ride a motorcycle!
Re: Bent rear frame on my K0? Dammit!
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 09:38:37 pm »
Coming in late, but I can see--or at least I THINK I can see-- that your sheet of plywood in your original post pictures is only under the right leg of your center stand. It "appears" to be under both, but there's that 45 degree angle in the left side, so I don't think it is supporting the bike there... Put that wood all the way under or take it out.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 09:50:16 pm by Bob750 »
Mine: 1974 CB750 K4
Hers: 1964 Dream 305

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 10:27:50 pm »
That was to help prop the bike up because the centre stand wasn't doing it. I've since put a different one in and it's much better. On the other one the bike was sitting on the right leg and the part you step on to get it up on the stand.
Hondaman, I'll check that out in the morning. Never thought of that, it would shift the arm over, good call.
Cliff.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 10:30:44 pm by Magpie »

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 01:09:54 pm »
More work today to find out what's happening.
I dragged out another frame,late K0 or K1, for a comparison. The K0 and a K2+ swingarm both fit the same in the frame. The distance between the rear fender mounts and the muffler hangers are the same on the K0 frame and the other one. So, to keep things all the same for comparison I used a spare hub, the same pivot bolt, collar and end caps, axle, spacers, chain tensioners, sprocket carrier and brake hub for each "test". I installed the suspect K0 swingarm and then installed the hub assembly. From the pictures you'll see I found the centre point on the top fender mount/cross piece, between the fender mounts and the hub. I also put a level across the frame at the battery box area. I fashioned a mm plumb bob as well.
With the suspect swingarm, the centre of the hub is about a 1/4" to the right of the centre of the frame and fender mounts, like before.
With the K2+ swingarm it's the same. What a surprise!
So, the suspect swingarm may be ok. I had the K2+ swingarm in a K1 and it rode nicely so it should be straight.
The frame does not show as marks from a major hit in the rear area.
I'm now left with: the frame was built this way, I'm too anal again, or the frame is tweaked but doesn't have any visible reason where and why, just put it together and forget it (the off centre rear fender will be a conversation starter, of find another K0 somewhere for comparison, start again with a new frame.
Or, take it to a pro and see what he says.
I have not as yet checked the wheel alignment from the front one to the rear. I have to find a long straight piece of metal to this and Home Depot didn't have any yesterday.
Thanks for reading this long post.
Any more ideas out there? Am I missing something so obvious/simple I can't see it?
Cliff.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 01:11:25 pm by Magpie »

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 01:48:16 pm »
Forget the metal..

Carefully use 8ft flourescent tubes carefully... did I mention to be carefull with them..?
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 03:17:31 pm »
Hi Magpie, if the frame is out of square just find a frame straightener and get him to sort it for you. I had a standard GSXR1100 frame checked by a guy with a laser set up and the back section of the frame was out quite a bit, it only took him an hour to straighten. I had the same guy straighten a 750 frame some years earlier and he told me not to be surprised because it was easier to find one that wasn't straight than a bent one..

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2010, 07:22:08 pm »
Mick, you posted before I could report back. We too used an industrial strength laser today and determined the upper, rear frame is out of true, pushed to the left, the rest is good. So, at least I know. Now to work at getting it straight. I should get the spare frame straightened at the same time.
Thanks for all your help guys - I love this place and owe you beers, lots of beers.
Cliff.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 07:33:27 pm »
It can be a frustrating process at times but i would have been just as annoyed as you to find that it was out of true. I am that "symmetrically disadvantaged" that i am for ever in conflict with 4 into 1's because i am obsessed with symmetry but love the sound of the 4 into 1. A 4 into 2 would look better but that sound and the fact that i can't see the pipes while riding keeps me happy..... :P

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.