Author Topic: 1980 Honda CB650C charging issues, finally gonna do real troubleshooting.  (Read 5043 times)

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
I've been trying really hard to not troubleshoot my charging issue more than just suspecting the R/R and trying to replace it. I've tried getting readings on the R/R but can never get a reverse reading, it always comes up infinite (yeah, probably an indicator that it's bad, according to the manual.) Part of my confusion is, fellow 650 owner Soos dropped a spare regulator by. I tried testing it, and had the same issues, could get a resistance reading one direction but when I switched the probes around, it was infinite. I went ahead and put it on my bike, started her up, and watched as she started to charge as I revved. After about 30 seconds though the voltage at the battery went down to about 11.96v and the R/R was nice and toasty. Prior to doing this I did check my rotor and had low resistance readings at the rings, and no continuity between the rings and the core.

I plan on starting to just trace and test everything from the battery backward, but was wondering if anyone else has encountered this or has any other ideas? The problem started when I ran my battery low on fluids and it went to about 9.5v. I've had the battery checked and it's good (load test and all), it takes a charge from my trickle charger. The harness was gone through, cleaned and die-electric greased.

Thanks all,

Brandon

(P.S. I'll keep this as my thread regarding this until I figure out what it is.)
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
Borrow a rotor off Soos if you can Brandon, I hunted my chrging issue all over the bike and got good results from all tests so just started replacing stuff until I found the problem.
Rotor did test good, replaced with borrowed one and bike charged up great so I bought a second hand one from wreckers and no problems since (except over charging but I think my R/R/ is now toast) ;D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
You should measure the resistance of the rotor.  If the rotor windings are shorted, the rotor draws too much current through the regulator.  I don't think the regulator can protect itself from over-current.  Meaning, it is possible for a bad rotor to destroy every regulator you wire into the circuit.
The Rotor should be in the 5-7 ohm range  (-ish)
Ohm's law: I = E/R

E = 12 V,  R = 5 Ω then  I = 2.4 Amps that the Vreg should handle just fine.
E = 12V, R = 1 Ω then I = 12 amps that the vreg probably cannot endure.  As the amps go up from designed expectations, the vreg gets warmer as it dumps power into shorted windings.

Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline manjisann

• Master
Hush, I have a spare 650 engine that I'm going to modify for my cafe, but for now it can be canablized for parts. I'll test the rotor on that and if it's no good I'll talk to Soos.

TT, I don't have the exact figures but it seems to be the resistance between the 2 rings was 4.8 or 4.9 ohms. It' wasn't quite 5. Would that be enough to toast the RR? I'll check it again when I get home and give an exact number.

Thanks guys,

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
4.8-4.9Ω  should be ok.  Did you subtract out the meter lead resistance for the measurement?
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline manjisann

• Master
4.8-4.9Ω  should be ok.  Did you subtract out the meter lead resistance for the measurement?

I don't believe I did. I'll get some accurate measurements when I get home.

I honestly thought it was the RR, but after getting the one from Soos that initially worked and then cooked I'm not so sure any more. I bought a new RadioShack DMM and some of the settings are a wee bit confusing. I swear I know how to use a DMM, but this one makes me feel like a complete novice with them.

I'll also measure the RR and post a couple pics to see if anyone can clarify some of the things I'm seeing.

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
I should probably tell you about measuring the R/R.

An electronic regulator has a silicon device which passes the power through from input to output.  The nature of this device is polarity sensitive, meaning it should only pass power in one direction when activated.

If you are measuring input to output resistance you should know that the only range on a garden variety digital meter that has enough power to make the device junctions conduct is the diode test setting.  The diode test setting is for a single junction devices.  The device used in your R/R is more likely to have more than one junction, so it is unlikely that your DVM can activate the power device, especially since it is supposed to be activated by voltage sensing circuitry (with more junctions) inside the R/R.
If you could measure input to output resistance both ways in polarity, it would indicate a shorted device where the voltage sensing circuits would have little effect on R/R operation.  This would be bad.  The fact that you can only measure resistance with one polarity doesn't indicate a good device, only that it isn't positively bad.

This type of R/R must be tested for proper function while powered in the circuit.  It should pass battery voltage to the rotor when the battery is low, and block some or all of the voltage going to the rotor when the battery is at full charge.

Alternately, you can "characterize" the resistance measurements of a known good R/R, and compare those measurements (using the same test equipment) with the unknown R/R.   If the numbers compare, this gives you reasonable expectation that the unknown unit is likely good, as it displays a similar "characteristic test signature".   But, it is not a 100% guarantee.  There are components inside an electronic R/R that you simply cannot reach from external connections, therefore you can't thoroughly test it except via in-circuit function testing, or powered by external test apparatus.

Hope this is understandable.

Cheers,

Offline davesee

• Enthusiast
you're saying if it looks like a rose, smells like a rose, it might still be a turd. i am having the same issue. anxious to follow all these results.
1980 honda cb650 with many weekends worth of modifications.

Offline manjisann

• Master
I should probably tell you about measuring the R/R.

An electronic regulator has a silicon device which passes the power through from input to output.  The nature of this device is polarity sensitive, meaning it should only pass power in one direction when activated.

If you are measuring input to output resistance you should know that the only range on a garden variety digital meter that has enough power to make the device junctions conduct is the diode test setting.  The diode test setting is for a single junction devices.  The device used in your R/R is more likely to have more than one junction, so it is unlikely that your DVM can activate the power device, especially since it is supposed to be activated by voltage sensing circuitry (with more junctions) inside the R/R.
If you could measure input to output resistance both ways in polarity, it would indicate a shorted device where the voltage sensing circuits would have little effect on R/R operation.  This would be bad.  The fact that you can only measure resistance with one polarity doesn't indicate a good device, only that it isn't positively bad.

This type of R/R must be tested for proper function while powered in the circuit.  It should pass battery voltage to the rotor when the battery is low, and block some or all of the voltage going to the rotor when the battery is at full charge.

Alternately, you can "characterize" the resistance measurements of a known good R/R, and compare those measurements (using the same test equipment) with the unknown R/R.   If the numbers compare, this gives you reasonable expectation that the unknown unit is likely good, as it displays a similar "characteristic test signature".   But, it is not a 100% guarantee.  There are components inside an electronic R/R that you simply cannot reach from external connections, therefore you can't thoroughly test it except via in-circuit function testing, or powered by external test apparatus.

Hope this is understandable.

Cheers,

Thanks TT, I think I understand what you are saying. What I don't understand is why the Clymer manual says to test and then reverse polarity if a standard DMM won't measure it (I know, it's a clymer manual, bleh!) Is there some way for me to positively test an RR with the tools I have at home, or is it hook it up and see what happens?

As promised, here's some tests I made, and a couple pictures.

I pulled the battery from the Battery Tender Jr (love that thing) and it measured 13.11v (yes I know it's residual, but just took the measurement.)

The resistance on the leads was .2 ohms.

The rotor reads 4.3 ohms + or minus .2 (the silly reader fluctuated a wee bit.) There is no continuity between the rings and the center of the rotor.

The stator measured .2 ohms + .2 or - .1 ohms between the yellows and no continuity to ground.

The R/R measures:

Black probe to Red/White wire.

left to right 4.36 4.20 4.44 (has a capital M on the DMM, see pic.)

When the probe is reversed it comes up with nothing (TT this seems to be what you were regerring too.)

When the Red probe is connected to the Green wire.

4.39 4.79 4.61  (again, has a capital M on the DMM)

I didn't try turning it on or stating it as I wanted to see what you suggest from here. I tested the rotor on my spare engine and it tested the same, approx 4.3 ohms.

Can anyone tell me what the M on the DMM means, does it mean Mega (ie 10,000?)

What's the next step?

Thanks guys!

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
yes that is meg ohms. just tested my good one and I get 12.12Mohms and infinity or 0 the other way,
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
The R/R has two sections inside the box; Rectifier and the regulator.  You can certainly test the rectifier portion with the diode test function.  You should find six diodes that conduct in one direction but not the other for 12 total tests.

I don't think you can test the regulator section without doing a functional test.

If the battery is low and the rotor wires have full battery voltage on them, then you can't blame the regulator for low alternator output power.

Offline manjisann

• Master
Scunny, thanks for the measurement, that gives me an idea of what a functioning one is at. If it's not too much trouble, can you test your rotor and give me the resistance value you are finding there?

TT, according to the manual I connect to the green wire, and test the three yellow leads (I believe those are the diodes, at least that's what the wiring diagram in the Clymer says.) Then reverse the lead positions, test again, that's six tests. Then do the same with the Red/White wire. Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe that is the 12 tests you are referring to, which I performed and found the resistance to be nearly a third of what Scunny found when he tested his. Could this be pointing to a toasted RR?

So to test the regulator I need to have the bike running and put the probes on the green and black wires coming out of the RR? Would this test the voltage coming from the alternator unit? Sorry, I'm just starting my shift at work so I don't have my manual to reference the wiring diagram.

Thanks for the assistance guys!

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
Glad to see you plugging through this problem Brandon,

If you need a rotor removal tool to test the rotor from your spare motor let me know, I have a nice one you can borrow.

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline manjisann

• Master
Glad to see you plugging through this problem Brandon,

If you need a rotor removal tool to test the rotor from your spare motor let me know, I have a nice one you can borrow.

Thanks, I may take you up on that.

TT, so just thinking, if my rotor is testing at say 4 ohms (taking into account the variance from the tester and it's weird fluctuations) that makes it 3 amps going to the RR. Would that be enough to cause the RR to go bad? Is it possible the RR is still ok, or is it now toasted, so I need to get the Rotor rewound in addition to replacing the RR?

Thanks,

Brandon
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 11:25:25 am by manjisann »

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
The rotor cannot be rewound Brandon, it's some kind of lump of metal!
My old one makes a great door stop or part of my home made slide hammer, it still tests as good too. ;D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
TT, according to the manual I connect to the green wire, and test the three yellow leads (I believe those are the diodes, at least that's what the wiring diagram in the Clymer says.) Then reverse the lead positions, test again, that's six tests. Then do the same with the Red/White wire. Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe that is the 12 tests you are referring to, which I performed and found the resistance to be nearly a third of what Scunny found when he tested his. Could this be pointing to a toasted RR?

No, your rectifier section is testing good, from what I can tell.  The diodes all conduct in one direction only.  When you reported measuring nothing, I assume you mean to report zero resistance.  Zero resistance is like a straight piece of wire, and 4.5M Ω effectively blocks nearly all current flow.  Ohm's law I = E/R.  0.0000027 amps is not much to worry about, as the battery will self-discharge faster than any leakage through the diodes.

So to test the regulator I need to have the bike running and put the probes on the green and black wires coming out of the RR? Would this test the voltage coming from the alternator unit? Sorry, I'm just starting my shift at work so I don't have my manual to reference the wiring diagram.

The Green and Black wires are power going IN to the Regulator.  The Vreg also uses these wires to sense the battery voltage.
The Black and White wires going to the alternator is power going OUT to the alternator rotor from the Vreg.  The voltage level on these wires is how regulator controls alternator output.  This B/W voltage is maxed to peak when the sense voltage goes below a trip level measured from the Black and Green wires.  The trip level is probably something like 12.5V or so.  So, if the black and green wires are below 12.5v, then the regulator puts what voltage it receives on the Black and White wires to the alternator.  As the sense voltage gets near 14.5V, the Vreg lowers the voltage on the black and white wires, which reduces the output of the alternator (so it won't overcharge and cook the battery).

This is roughly how it should work.  Exact trip points and output voltage levels I don't know about this specific unit.  I do know what the battery requires and how it relates to controlling the alternator.  AFAIK, no one on this forum has posted a relationship chart between Vreg sense voltage and B/W output control voltage.

Bear in mind the alternator puts out variable power with RPM (which is why a Vreg is needed), so it can reduce its output power when it is making too much (assuming a good alternator).

In circuit testing requires the circuit components be connected together.  The meter probe simply monitor what voltage exists where in the circuit.

A temporary bypass test can be made to help isolate the circuit fault.  Disconnect, the black and white wires that go to the alternator from the R/R at the R/R.  You can jumper the power direct from the battery to the Black and White rotor wires.  This should make the alternator be all it can be, and revving the engine should get you battery voltages 14.5V or above, assuming the battery is at full charge.  Just like you can't (shouldn't) deplete a battery instantly, neither can you charge a battery instantly.  You don't want the battery voltage to linger above 14.7 V.  So, if you begin to monitor that, stop revving the alternator, as you have proven it works fine under this vreg bypass test.

I assume you understand the rectifier still needs to have all its connections made.  All yellows, the Green, and the Red must be connected in circuit, as that is what convert the AC power from the alternator to DC power that the battery can use.

Questions?

TT, so just thinking, if my rotor is testing at say 4 ohms (taking into account the variance from the tester and it's weird fluctuations) that makes it 3 amps going to the RR. Would that be enough to cause the RR to go bad? Is it possible the RR is still ok, or is it now toasted, so I need to get the Rotor rewound in addition to replacing the RR?

I don't know where the output current damage level occurs for the current handling device inside the R/R.  It has a rating/spec from the factory where it was made.  But, like the V rating on tires, it may survive going over it's limit for some period of time.  But, double the input conditions and it is likely to fail pretty soon.  The answer to your question lies somewhere in between.

The in-circuit test, or the bypass test noted above will provide better info about the vreg's current operational state.

From what I have learned the 650 rotor CAN be rewound/restored.  Its' the 750, 550, 500, 350, 400 Cbs that have a slotted metal rotor.

Cheers,

Offline manjisann

• Master
Quote from: Hush on Today at 01:40:34 pm
From what I have learned the 650 rotor CAN be rewound/restored.  Its' the 750, 550, 500, 350, 400 Cbs that have a slotted metal rotor.

Cheers,

I believe TT is right, seems to me Kit had her rotor remanned.

Here's some more info from OregonMotorcycleParts, I believe they are where I can get my rotor rewound if it turns out to be the problem.

7.  Diagnostics for 1979~1984 Honda 750~1100 DOHC fours (and SOHC CB650)

The following information also applies to the CB550 Nighthawk but the resistance on the field coil (black to white wires) is
lower.  Honda has released an updated stator/field coil assembly for this bike (this is the only bike I know that uses this
arrangement) and I  recommend calling the Honda dealer for this information as the manual may be wrong.

The first test is to test the voltage between the red wire on the rectifier / voltage regulator unit (do not unplug it for this test) and
ground with the bike running.  If you're only getting battery voltage then you have a problem.  If you're getting over 15 volts then
the regulator is bad.

At first all those wires look rather intimidating but once you break it down it's rather simple.  Unplug both of the connectors and
use the test procedure above to test the rectifier part of the unit.  The red wire is positive and the green wire is negative and  test
them against the 3 yellow AC leads.

The next test is to test the voltage regulator.  Plug the small plug from the regulator / rectifier back into the wiring harness.  With
the ignition on but the bike not running and if the regulator is good, you should get less than battery voltage between the black
and white wires in the large plug from the regulator / rectifier.  You can do this test with the bike running but I find it usually
doesn't make any difference.

If these test have positive results the next thing to check is the resistance on the rotor.  Remove the alternator cover and check
the resistance between copper rings on the rotor.  There should be 4.5 ~6 ohms resistance if it's good.  Most of the time when
rotors are bad there will be either infinite resistance (completely burnt out) or less than 2 ohms resistance (internally shorted.)
Either way you're looking at getting a new rotor.  If the rotor checks out good the next step is to check the resistance between
the black and white wires (with the alternator cover installed.)  Wiggle and tug slightly on these wires during this test.  If the
resistance changes at all during this test or is different than the resistance between the copper rings on the rotor, the wires leading
to the brushes (black and white wires) will need to be replaced.  The wires to the brushes going bad is more common than one
ouw think

The next thing to check is stator.  I left this test for last because this is the least likely thing to go wrong.  There should be about
.5 to 1 ohm resistance between the yellow wires from the stator and infinite to ground if the unit is good.

It seems to agree with what TT was saying. I'll have to run these tests and see what I come up with. Hopefully I won't be replacing both the rotor and the RR.

Thanks,

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
Brandon, my rotor is 4.5 ohms across the slip rings.
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R

Offline manjisann

• Master

Thanks Scunny, that's really good to know. I wonder if the .3 ohms really makes that much of a difference.

I went to start the bike to take measurments requested, started it and noticed the voltage immediately dropped below 12v and started to smell a weird burning smell..... FARK I forgot to bolt the alternator cover back on and oil is pouring everywhere!!!!! With a sinking heart I stopped the bike and started to survey the damage. Well oil just got on the floor from the plug that's in the alternator housing (umm why is there even a hole there??) I cleaned up the mess and got looking at the brush holders in the cover. The holder was busted up and not holding the brushes properly, hmmmmm. Fortunatley the one in my spare engine was in pristine condition so I swapped it out (and put on the nicer of the two covers  ;D )  I tightened down the bolts and started her up. At idle she was reading about 12.5v and when revved above 4k rpms she would hit as high as 15.11v. It is my understanding that anything above 14.5v is a bit too high and 15v will cook the battery. I checked both RR I have and ended up with the same issue. Since they both test about a third of what Master Scunny's tested I'm gonna have to say they are cooked. At this point I'm reasonably happy that I've determined that the buggered brush holder was causing the weird voltage readings I was getting and the RR is now shot and needs replaceing. My only concern is the slightly low rotor resistance readings. At between 4.2 and 4.4 ohms, does it need replacing?

Thanks,

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
You need to find out if the bike wiring is lying the regulator.  If there is voltage drop between Battery and Vreg, the Vreg will think the battery is at a lower voltage than is really is and try to overcharge it.

I suspect both your R/Rs are good and you have faulty connections and/or switches in the voltage supply path.

Cheers,

Offline manjisann

• Master
You need to find out if the bike wiring is lying the regulator.  If there is voltage drop between Battery and Vreg, the Vreg will think the battery is at a lower voltage than is really is and try to overcharge it.

I suspect both your R/Rs are good and you have faulty connections and/or switches in the voltage supply path.

Cheers,

That'd be awesome! I'll have to start checking all the connections and see what turns up.

Thanks,

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline manjisann

• Master
Monday I went through and cleaned several of the connectors that the RR uses to sense battery voltage and then checked them for resistance. Once I was all done I plugged everything back in and started the bike and measured the voltage at the battery. at idle it was around 12.5v and at over 4k it would hit approx 14.6v, so TT appears to have been correct and the RR was just fine along with everything else, it just needed a bit of a cleaning. Nothing was super dirty or anything, so I'm not really sure what the specific issue was, but since it appears to be gone I'm happy. I'll be rechecking it after riding it a bit just to ensure it's still behaving. Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help and suggestions.

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
that's good news, these 650's get enough bad press about charging issues. TT should put a book out on electrical issues and problem solving.
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R

Offline manjisann

• Master
Scunny, you are right, TT could write an idiots guide to ts these bikes, but you just know one of us would read it and still post a question about it  ;D

Seriously though, Scunny, TT, thanks tonz for the help I really appreciate it. If nothing else I think we have been able to catalogue a few of the RR readings.

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master

Thanks Scunny, that's really good to know. I wonder if the .3 ohms really makes that much of a difference.

My only concern is the slightly low rotor resistance readings. At between 4.2 and 4.4 ohms, does it need replacing?

Thanks,

Brandon

Mine read 4.3 on the '79 with the fairing, and 4.4 on my stock '79, my '82 reads 4.1.

The '79 with the fairing has used that rotor for about the last 20,000 miles or so.

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650