Author Topic: help! a new shifting problem, now in Colorado!  (Read 762 times)

Offline JBMorse

• Hot Shot
    • Travel Blog
help! a new shifting problem, now in Colorado!
« on: July 02, 2010, 10:29:01 am »
Last week I asked about my shifting on the CB500, because we'd lost all but 3rd and 4th gears when riding through Memphis.  We got a response that pointed us to a shop, and since the repair was beyond what I could do on the roadside we went there.  Well, Fletcher in Memphis got it apart and discovered a bolt had come loose and fallen off on the shift drum.  He put it all back together properly and the bike worked great since then.
Now we're in Mancos, Colorado and I have a new, but related problem.  1st gear is messing up badly.  Shifting into 1st seems okay, but trying to run along in that gear, the bike will jolt in and out of it.  Shifting from 1st to 2nd feels notchy, but 2nd through 5th all work and feel fine. 
So did my shop mess me up somehow, or am I getting a new problem like a worn selector fork?  I looked at the fiche and there's quite a bit of linkage associated with the shifter, so I am reluctant to attempt to fix it myself outside of my own shop.
Any suggestions?  Would it be a nightmare to get it apart?  I can see myself losing springs, etc in the dirt!
Thanks again
Jeremy B
1971 CB500K

Online Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
Re: help! a new shifting problem, now in Colorado!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:54:34 am »
Broken dog on a gear perhaps. Not sure who we have in SW CO?! We do have a member in Durango attemting to sell a 750F. Perhaps Hondaman (Mark) can help mechanically but he's in Denver. Gordon is in Denver too and he has a 500 I do believe and might be able to offer some advice. Under the circumstances you describe I'd consider at the least skipping 1st gear and get it to someone that can help. If something is loose or broken you might be in for some trouble that could escalate.

PM Hondaman (Mark). If you can't get in touch, PM/email me and I'll see if I can get in touch with him for you.

Jerry

As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline JBMorse

• Hot Shot
    • Travel Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 10:19:05 am »
Thanks for the reply jerry!  I stopped at a shop in mancos, which looked like a vintage european bike shop.  I went in hoping they could point me in the direction of someone who knows hondas, and it happened that one of their guys knew the sohcs well.  He looked at the bike and rode it a bit and said it's either the 1st gear itself or the selector forks.  Either way he thinks it's an engine out, case-split fix.  :e said since it's only affecting the one gear, and all others are working fine, that I'm probably okay just running it as is and not using 1st.  This is tricky on a very loaded 500, and I'll likely burn the clutch up rather soon.  But we're going to continue with the trip for now, just cutting our loop shorter and limping home.  I'll keep posting if we have more troubles, but I think we're okay for now.  Thanks again!
1971 CB500K

Online Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 12:30:39 pm »
JB,

Good luck on your trip. Where are you headed and what routes?
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)