Author Topic: Racing fuel  (Read 10077 times)

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
Racing fuel
« on: July 16, 2010, 12:57:26 pm »
I just stopped by the bike shop and they are selling 110 octane leaded gas in 10 gallon drums as racing fuel. News to me. Said I needed to be a racer here in Calif to buy it though. Anybody else use this this stuff?

Offline Bamboozler

• Enthusiast
Re: Racing fuel
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 02:11:12 pm »
There's a small town in between work and home that has a oil distribution company and a set of unmanned credit card pumps.  They have regular/kerosene/diesel/and Sunoco leaded 110.  They have two big cement blocks in front of the 110 to block people from pulling up their vehicle and filling up from the pump.  However, there's just enough room for the CB to sneak past the cement blocks and fill up. ;D 

Only put one tank through for novelty and care free boosting. A/F stayed pretty much the same FWIW, and its not so good on the w/b o2 sensor from what I remember (lead I believe, probably takes many tanks to do harm though).  Don't think you gain much unless you're playing with high boost (relative to your app)/hi static compression/or ragged edge spark timing.  My pa asked about 110 for his bike (HD), but told him he's tuned fine for 93 octane and unless he's changing the timing or compression he's just paying for expensive fuel.
'78 CB750F Turbo, 101 rwhp @ 8 PSI (Project thread)
2007 Yamaha FZ1
'78 CB750F basket case crying for a resto
'78 XL250S
'78 Suk GS750E
Digital Ignition project (Project thread)

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 02:19:50 pm »
Yeah, well I'm probably your pas age. I used to be able to pull up to pump and turn the crank to whatever octane I wanted between 90 and 103 I believe. Course that's when gas was nineteen cents a gallon. Anyway thanks. I guess I won't try to disguise myself as a racer and buy some.

Offline NitroHunter

• Radical Street / Strip Turbo
  • Hot Shot
  • A man's motorcycle is a reflection of the man
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 02:20:54 pm »
What brand?
Robbie the NitroHunter                      Fuel Coupe Hired Gun                  NHRA T/F 640

DRAGBIKE USA XH/MB Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=127179.0;attach=332735
DRAGBIKE USA XH/SS Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=63940.0;attach=103300
Young mans glory days in the lanes: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=45685.0;attach=66341

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 02:29:53 pm »
Couldn't say. Too long ago. I do recall running over the rubber hose at the gas station though that rang a bell that summoned the attendants to rush out, fill your gas tank, wash your windows and check your oil and fluids. $3.00 would usually fill the tank. Think I'm kinding? :)

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 03:57:53 pm »
Designer fuels are best in small batches (5 gallons or so). Once you open the can the lighter parts of the fuel go out window (literally). VP stuff is very different in O2 content, octane etc, etc etc. i hate working on stuff that has run exotic fuels. It smells very, very funky especially after being burned. It cannot be good for humans.
 The worst of the bunch was Nu-Tech. That carcinogen was actually made by Elf . Elf fuel was banned in this country secondary to non compliance regarding fuel. That stuff was NOT gasoline....it was a fuel. Elf set up a company completely separate from themselves to bypass laws. Of course...the house of cards collasped and so did Nu-Tech. If you left that stuff in your tank it would turn to molasses an the fuel pump, injectors etc, etc were all junk and had to be replaced.
 I remember getting that stuff on my skin and it was absorbed by my body in about 1 second. It did not "evaporate"....it just passed through my skin like water through a screen door. Awful, awful stuff. A pox on Elf.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 07:37:57 pm by MRieck »
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 06:13:42 pm »
Ditto,you couldn't get that stuff out of carbs and fuel related parts quick enough and Lord help if it got on you! NASTY not strong enough description! >:( :(....glad to see it go away!,Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 07:33:14 pm »
 I use VP RACING FUEL " C-16 "  Awsome stuff !!   ;D

Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 07:33:56 pm »
Ditto,you couldn't get that stuff out of carbs and fuel related parts quick enough and Lord help if it got on you! NASTY not strong enough description! >:( :(....glad to see it go away!,Bill
[/quote/).

Nice to see (unfortunately) that someone else knows about that cr a p. Your head, Bill...is off to the machine shop Monday. Blame Sam's #$%*.

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 09:01:31 pm »
I use VP RACING FUEL " C-16 "  Awsome stuff !!   ;D

What's the octane rating? Cost?
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 09:05:26 pm »
[/quote/)

Nice to see (unfortunately) that someone else knows about that cr a p. Your head, Bill...is off to the machine shop Monday. Blame Sam's #$%*.
Mike,I just knew it was Sam's fault! great news on cyl head! ;D ;D ;D..How's the Auto coming?Thanks,Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 12:29:32 am »
I use VP RACING FUEL " C-16 "  Awsome stuff !!   ;D

What's the octane rating? Cost?

The octane rating is 117.  Cost is $ 70.00 for 5 gallons, cheaper if you buy 30 gallons.  specific gravity is.735 @ 60 degrees f.
  Best fuel for turbocharged, supercharged and nitrous engines up too 17:1 compression !!   ;D
  About 4 years ago 5 gallons was $ 55.00 !
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 08:23:19 pm by BLUE71TURBO »
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

Offline Gonzowerke

• I burn asses like a Bhut Jolokia, 'cause I'm a real
  • Hot Shot
  • Member #106, Owner of the ORIGINAL Frankenbike!
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 04:20:19 am »
On any given Sunday, You can see the posers lining up at the Castrol Purple pump for a tank of 115 for the ride home from Summit Point. (W.VA. racetrack) You can tell them that it makes no difference even with their little powercommander installed, but they won't listen. If you really want an increase in power that you can feel in your buttdyno, with a relatively stock engine, run it on Coleman Camp fuel, but don't come crying to me when you burn a hole in your piston(did this years ago on a camping trip when we ran out of fuel and had nothing but coleman on hand). White fuel is basically gasoline with no additive packages in it, i.e. no burn modifiers and octane/cetane additives. Years ago, one of the drag racing ricer's on CRX.org was running regular low test with 10% by volume toluene mixed in to boost octane. He claimed no problems other than melting fuel system components if you went to 15-20% by volume. I don't think you would want to run that in our babies though.
1977 F2 "Highway Star"
1977 F2 "Bike-In-A-Box"
1978 K8 "Frankenbike"
1991 CRX Si "Buzz Bomb"
2000 Jeep Wrangler "UBoat"
2011 BMW S1000RR "TIE Fighter"

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 01:58:10 pm »
A note about the fuels that are available in the current state of racing.

All of them are very hazardous to yourself and or people around them.

You MUST read the labels and the information sheets that come with them prior to opening container and or changing engine specs.

You MUST not use these fuels as parts cleaners.

Never get them on your skin.

Never store fuel for any length of time in plastic jugs. WHY...plastic allows vapors to escape, called "out gassing" and if you have fuel with oxygen in it...you won't after a day or so.

After each event you MUST drain the fuel tank and float bowels, especially if you are hauling machines in a self contained motorhome/garage/shop type vehicle where you can be exposed to the fumes from these specialized fuels.

A note here: We always used Elf and we have never had one problem with it in anyway. I personally viewed a lot of intake ports plugged on competitors bikes with orange-y looking goo at Daytona for a couple of years with those using one of the bigger sellers of race fuels.

It's all about knowing how to handle these products, none is more or less good or bad for you...done right.

AMA/World Superbike, Moto GP and AMA Superbike has been dominated by Elf. In Europe which is is huge compared to USA racing standards...Total/Elf/Fina is the name to look for, if you want the best designed oil or fuel in My book.

Mark McGrew
M3 Racing USA

220...221, whatever it takes.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 07:09:39 pm »

You MUST read the labels and the information sheets that come with them prior to opening container and or changing engine specs.

Never store fuel for any length of time in plastic jugs. WHY...plastic allows vapors to escape, called "out gassing" and if you have fuel with oxygen in it...you won't after a day or so.

After each event you MUST drain the fuel tank and float bowels, especially if you are hauling machines in a self contained motorhome/garage/shop type vehicle where you can be exposed to the fumes from these specialized fuels.

A note here: We always used Elf and we have never had one problem with it in anyway. I personally viewed a lot of intake ports plugged on competitors bikes with orange-y looking goo at Daytona for a couple of years with those using one of the bigger sellers of race fuels.

It's all about knowing how to handle these products, none is more or less good or bad for you...done right.

AMA/World Superbike, Moto GP and AMA Superbike has been dominated by Elf. In Europe which is is huge compared to USA racing standards...Total/Elf/Fina is the name to look for, if you want the best designed oil or fuel in My book.

Mark McGrew
M3 Racing USA

What pisses me off with the NuTech Mark was the fact that people handling the same (basically) product in Europe were wearing full HazMat suits. If I remember correctly Team Honda were the first to start using that stuff. When we got a "whiff" of that "sweet" smell everbody said....."what is that funky smell". The genie was out of the bottle then. I never had a problem with the intake ports. Christ.. at WFO 90% of the time why should there be residue. It was the exhaust ports that sucked to work on. Who knows what that stuff was like AFTER being burned. That is info nobody ever received BUT I'm going to assume it was B A D for mammals
  Mike.

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 04:54:10 am »
Methanol. That's the gear.
Forgot to flush the fuel system after a meeting once, what a cock up.
Took me days to clean it all up properly.

Cheers,
Brian
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 05:00:55 am by bear »
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline H2Eric

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 11:20:40 am »
Methanol. That's the gear.
Forgot to flush the fuel system after a meeting once, what a cock up.
Took me days to clean it all up properly.

Cheers,
Brian

and add some nitromethane for that extra get up and go.

Cheers
Eric
Honda CR750
Honda CB750K3
Kawasaki 750H2B
Suzuki GS750
Honda CB175
Honda CB350F
Yamaha R1

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,94588.0.html

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 11:30:18 am »
BOOOOOOM ::)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline NitroHunter

• Hot Shot
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 03:32:47 pm »
Robbie the NitroHunter                      Fuel Coupe Hired Gun                  NHRA T/F 640

DRAGBIKE USA XH/MB Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=127179.0;attach=332735
DRAGBIKE USA XH/SS Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=63940.0;attach=103300
Young mans glory days in the lanes: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=45685.0;attach=66341

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 02:25:52 am »
one of the easiest ways of changing the appearance of your vehicle. ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 02:30:59 pm »

Mark McGrew
M3 Racing USA

What pisses me off with the NuTech Mark was the fact that people handling the same (basically) product in Europe were wearing full HazMat suits. If I remember correctly Team Honda were the first to start using that stuff. When we got a "whiff" of that "sweet" smell everbody said....."what is that funky smell". The genie was out of the bottle then. I never had a problem with the intake ports. Christ.. at WFO 90% of the time why should there be residue. It was the exhaust ports that sucked to work on. Who knows what that stuff was like AFTER being burned. That is info nobody ever received BUT I'm going to assume it was B A D for mammals
  Mike.

Mike, Yes I remember seeing a photo in Road & Track or Car & driver magazine back in the turbocharged 1500 cc F1 days of two guys in Haz Mat suits all by themselves, in a garage with two giant fans that were as high as the garage doors, blowing air towards them while they fueled 1 Ferrari F1 car. Huge ground cables were hooked up to the car at more than one location. This is when the specs called for 92 octane or less...which as you know...means NOTHING.... as all they did is change the chemistry to meet the specs with Toluene and benzine along with other "special" additives.

This was the era that saw 1350 HP for one lap of Q'n... out of 4 cylinder iron block BMW 1500cc! Raced at 1150 HP

Honda's V6 was close but never achieved those HP numbers.

At any rate...this stuff cannot be good for anything that breathes! I would have to agree.

KOS
220...221, whatever it takes.

Offline NitroHunter

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 03:01:36 pm »
one of the easiest ways of changing the appearance of your vehicle. ;D ;D ;D

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 03:36:52 pm »
well, seemingly the funy stuff is not allowed anymore, check pic's caption

http://superbikeplanet.com/image/2010/dmg/midohio/1/BJN22569.htm

tg

Offline NitroHunter

• Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 07:24:00 pm »
This is what we got when purchasing a drum of nitro in Seattle last week.
Security is priority #1.
Health hazards? Not addressed. More of a financial hazard...  :o

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 09:02:44 pm »
I run the c16 in our dragster no problems at all. Q16 is another matter, it is oxygenated and requires a large jet change. I accidently got some 110 contaminated with with methanol, not so good. Cost me a good set of 292 turbo heads.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.