Author Topic: Cam Chain Strength Data  (Read 2936 times)

Offline BMHS

Cam Chain Strength Data
« on: July 19, 2010, 11:02:01 am »
Guys,
Does anyone have any cam chain data for DID, RK, etc. Not who sells what, or at what price, but real chain force data, just like you can get for any drive chain made by any manufacturer? All I ever hear is, well use this chain, because so & so sells it. They normally note that the side plates are not scalloped, but flat, so that must be better, except that's never where cam chains break. It almost always at the pin joint. I'm not trying to be hard, I just would like to make my decision based on good data. Is there anyone out there that can help?
Brian
I'm calling Aki at DID today to see if he can help.

Offline BMHS

Re: Cam Chain Strength Data
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 10:07:27 am »
Just a follow up to my call to Aki @ DID America. The good DID chain is 219FTH X 94, and he allowed me to order 10 sets. I need some of them this winter for engine builds, but probably not all of them, so if anyone is interested, email me back at image@alexssa.net. I'm not sure of the shipping costs yet, so it maybe a week or so till I know the real price, but it won't be very expensive.
Brian

Offline NitroHunter

• Radical Street / Strip Turbo
  • Hot Shot
  • A man's motorcycle is a reflection of the man
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 02:40:27 pm »
Just curious, what pin joint strength data did you get?
Robbie the NitroHunter                      Fuel Coupe Hired Gun                  NHRA T/F 640

DRAGBIKE USA XH/MB Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=127179.0;attach=332735
DRAGBIKE USA XH/SS Recordholder: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=63940.0;attach=103300
Young mans glory days in the lanes: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=45685.0;attach=66341

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 02:58:24 pm »
What style side plate?
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 06:51:43 pm »
Yes,please tell us more.Not enough info on cam chains and them being the weakest link(IMO) or the way they were tensioned has sure been a challenge. Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 09:44:02 pm »
on the cam chains I've had the pleasure of looking at lately for a 650.
of the 2(Possibly)original, both DID, one set of pins are a smaller diameter than the other. my new "morse" chain is of the larger pin diameter. all seem to be of the same steel composition with the laymans file test.
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline BMHS

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 10:01:19 pm »
The top number is 219T, the bottom number is 219FTH, which has a ground thick- wall roller, & a better pin fit. Approximately 20% stronger. Has anyone ever seen rear chain that did not have scalloped side plates. Pin material, crimping & roller construction are all anyone should be concerned with. Do not used the DID gold plated 219 "space" chain that is floating around, it's GoKart chain that was designed to deal with dirt. It was made to handle big offsets between the front & rear sprockets.I hope this helps.
Brian

Pitch

Bushing diameter

Inner width

Pin diameter

Thickness of inner plate

Thickness of outer plate

Ave. tensile strength (kN)

Fatigue strength (kN)

Offline rangelov

• Enthusiast
  • The Dual Disc Conversion Speedometer Driver
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 06:45:46 am »
I can see one reason to use non scalloped sideplates.  It would be more uniform sliding, rolling action in the tension and guide assemblies.  The scalloped side plates may have more movement due to following a cam shape.  The non scalloped side plates would be more gentle on the guides.  Generally, it is the side plates that run on the guides, not the rollers.

The scalloped side plates main benefit is that there is less mass; they weigh less.  That may be considerable mass on a drive chain.

That's my $0.02.

Edit:  I did change from link style timing chain (flat) to roller chain (scalloped) on my Buick V-6.  I was concerned about wear on the rubbing block and tensioner.  It worked fine for over 100K mi.  I never opened it up to confirm wear.  I might check it when I get around to removing the engine.  It may be a non issue, but if you're picky...........

Chains fail due to pin wear or side plate breakage.  A larger pin requires more side material, which the previous example has (thicker).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 09:33:15 am by rangelov »
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=76835
-----------------------------------------------
CB750K4, Boss maroon metallic, 836cc, RC Engrg 4 into 1, Forks by Frank, air assisted front forks,  JC Whitney 16" rear.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 07:12:58 am »
I can see one reason to use non scalloped sideplates.  It would be more uniform sliding, rolling action in the tension and guide assemblies.  The scalloped side plates may have more movement due to following a cam shape.  The non scalloped side plates would be more gentle on the guides.  Generally, it is the side plates that run on the guides, not the rollers.

The scalloped side plates main benefit is that there is less mass; they weigh less.  That may be considerable mass on a drive chain.

That's my $0.02.
YEs that's what I'd always heard. THe whipping, vibrating scallops act like chainsaw blades on the tensioner parts. Hence the flat plates.

OCICBW

I'd never checked but assumed the pins were bigger on the HD chain and that's where the strength lies. I'll be to that point soon and will check.

I've never heard of a cam chain advertised as HD ever breaking. THough I'm sure someone like KOS has done so.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 07:17:18 am »
The top number is 219T, the bottom number is 219FTH, which has a ground thick- wall roller, & a better pin fit. Approximately 20% stronger. Has anyone ever seen rear chain that did not have scalloped side plates. Pin material, crimping & roller construction are all anyone should be concerned with. Do not used the DID gold plated 219 "space" chain that is floating around, it's GoKart chain that was designed to deal with dirt. It was made to handle big offsets between the front & rear sprockets.I hope this helps.
Brian

Pitch

Bushing diameter

Inner width

Pin diameter

Thickness of inner plate

Thickness of outer plate

Fatigue strength (kN)

Yes. I have an RK on my FJ that is not scalloped (530LFO). Plate shape question is in regards to using it with an M3 cam chain tensioner. "Peanut" side plates are not recommended secondary to wear issues.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 10:34:28 am »
I can see one reason to use non scalloped sideplates.  It would be more uniform sliding, rolling action in the tension and guide assemblies.  The scalloped side plates may have more movement due to following a cam shape.  The non scalloped side plates would be more gentle on the guides.  Generally, it is the side plates that run on the guides, not the rollers.

The scalloped side plates main benefit is that there is less mass; they weigh less.  That may be considerable mass on a drive chain.

That's my $0.02.

Only cam chain I ever had break, was when I was using the Pops Yoshimura gear type tensioner with center steel roller wheel. Bad idea. And it was not full side plate chain.

KOS
YEs that's what I'd always heard. THe whipping, vibrating scallops act like chainsaw blades on the tensioner parts. Hence the flat plates.

OCICBW

I'd never checked but assumed the pins were bigger on the HD chain and that's where the strength lies. I'll be to that point soon and will check.

I've never heard of a cam chain advertised as HD ever breaking. THough I'm sure someone like KOS has done so.
220...221, whatever it takes.

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 10:35:48 am »
Brian

Pitch

Bushing diameter

Inner width

Pin diameter

Thickness of inner plate

Thickness of outer plate

Fatigue strength (kN)

Yes. I have an RK on my FJ that is not scalloped (530LFO). Plate shape question is in regards to using it with an M3 cam chain tensioner. "Peanut" side plates are not recommended secondary to wear issues.

Yes, we do not recommend using a peanut shaped, side plate chain with M3 Tensioner for reasons above.

KOS
220...221, whatever it takes.