Author Topic: Ahhhh.... Bike wont idle! It was running fine 2 weeks ago!  (Read 758 times)

Offline shane

Ahhhh.... Bike wont idle! It was running fine 2 weeks ago!
« on: July 22, 2010, 08:42:06 pm »
Not sure what happened. I know these bike need to be ridden, but things have been super busy at work, so I haven't had much time lately to take it out.

It was running just fine 2 weeks ago.

Now it wont idle. Sometimes it'll start, but only with the choke on. As soon as I turn the choke off it dies. Help please...

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
Re: Ahhhh.... Bike wont idle! It was running fine 2 weeks ago!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 09:05:29 pm »
I doubt your gas would go bad in that short of time but maybe.  Try fresh gas with a little SeaFoam in it (2 ounces per gallon).  If that doesn't do it, do a 3000 mile tune up, tappets, timing, gaps, clean plugs, cam chain etc, etc, etc.  And if THAT doesn't do it, carb cleaning.
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline Silverback

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 09:58:56 pm »
Put the bike on center stand, open the petcock, shake fuel line, tap lightly on the float bowls, turn fuel off and check the float bowls to see if it is getting fuel. Just went through something similar with a bike I had for repair; hard starting with choke only which eventually stopped all together. Solution, get air bubbles out of the fuel line. Oh, he also hadn't ridden it for a few weeks, and then all of the sudden......

Worth a shot.
Chris
"It's hard to define soul. You get it in art. You get it in music, and occasionally you get it in machinery."
78 CB750F racer
78 CB750F stock
75 CB750K Baby Blue Sold (She was a great bike!)
71 CB750K (rusty rod)
77 cb550F Sold :(  Bought it Back :)
Basket case 73 CB750, 77 CB750F (Building now)
01 Aprilia Falco
76 kz400
96 BMW K1100LT

Offline laser145

• underfunded
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 10:02:05 pm »
Put the bike on center stand, open the petcock, shake fuel line, tap lightly on the float bowls, turn fuel off and check the float bowls to see if it is getting fuel. Just went through something similar with a bike I had for repair; hard starting with choke only which eventually stopped all together. Solution, get air bubbles out of the fuel line. Oh, he also hadn't ridden it for a few weeks, and then all of the sudden......

Worth a shot.

Ditto... How clean is your tank? Could be a blockage in the fuel delivery. If it was fine, now it's not running, it sounds like it should be something simple... start with the basics and trace from step 1...fuel, spark, air.