Author Topic: 1055's 81 CB650C with inspiration from all over..  (Read 2519 times)

1055's 81 CB650C with inspiration from all over..
« on: March 25, 2011, 05:51:14 pm »
So this is actually my first bike. bought it ~ 2 weeks ago and paid a whopping $350 for it. 11,819 miles, some quirks. throttle stuck bad, no airbox collector to carbs, choke sticks, paint was meh, broken screw in the master cylinder resevoir and the tach doesnt work, kind of. oh. did i mention it had a sportster fender on it?  ::)

So heres when i first got it.. it was flat OD green. i believe the original color of the bike was red, as the backside of the fairings were/are red... but there was a layer of blue in there too when i sanded them down so.. idk! ahahha

first night i had it home i started stripping off things that needed to come off. these are a bit blurry. oh well, suck it.  :D

huge progress and difference, i was really getting into it at this point. i decided that while i waited for parts in the mail, i would deal with whatever aesthetics that i could. first to come was paint. i was really on the fence with what i wanted to do, as i could really do ANYTHING i wanted to now. i was torn between keeping the OD green and adding black and white but ultimately went with a navy blue pearl/gunmetal silverflake paint scheme.

just seeing how it would look.. im not going for perfect, just better. a little rough around the edges builds charecter :P so i masked her off and threw down a stripe.

i mocked it up just to see what it would look like

happy, i moved forwards.. seperating the twotone with a black pinstripe.

first parts showed up on the same day.. a new throttle w/cruise (didnt end up needing it.. do'h!) and the "complete" airbox.

gee.. i think something is missing here  ::)

was reading CT law, and im absolutley required to have a rear fender. doesnt say anything about size.. so lets bob it!

i some how managed to forget to take pictures after i cut, smoothed, stripped and painted it..

and today, i got a chance to install my drag bars and figured out why the hell my throttle was sticking, badly (the small threaded adjuster on the accelerator side was adjusted allllll the way out and binding the cable. d'oh! i also discovered that it had an aftermarket seat cover on it. i would really like to find a different seat for it, or at least get it recovered. i want to retain being able to have two people on it, but would like something a little less...chopper ish on it. maybe a 900 super sport seat? is it a direct bolt on?

so this is how she currently sits. i definetly need to get different mirrors for it as well. the ones i ordered are ALOT bigger then they appeared to be, and im not sure what the measurements were supposed to represent?

so im waiting on the carb to airbox collector before i really start messing with how she runs. as of right now, she will run.. just not very well. im beffudled by my tach problem. when i fire it up the tach slowly climbs to 2k rpm and just sits there. not sure what could possibly cause this.
a video of it running, then stalling :D i cleaned the entire fueling system so i know thats not the issue. i mean it fires right up, but i cant really mess with it without the proper intake so.. the waiting game.
[youtube=425,350]-Oueeu60wIM[/youtube]

anyways thanks for stopping by! im eager as all hell to get this on the road so ill be working on it/updating it frequently.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 05:58:42 pm by 1055 »