Author Topic: gauge of steel in gas tank  (Read 1207 times)

tonys10

gauge of steel in gas tank
« on: November 30, 2009, 12:32:46 am »
does anyone know what gauge the tanks are on a CB750K??? I need to do a repair and have to pick up some sheet before I dive into it to give to the welder

Offline faux fiddy

• Just becaus I'm the second post on the pissed off thread doesn't mean I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • bike in a box
Re: gauge of steel in gas tank
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 01:08:28 am »
Heck,a warning for over 120 days?  These old tanks need some repairs where this information is important.

I can't say that I know, but your best source for material is from another tank of the same or similar vintage. My experience with this is  through a mentor who was making a cutout to fit a Mikini slide carburetor on an f-1 ducati. His choice for steel was from a volkswagon beetle (perhaps a fender) to make a concave area in the tank to fit the downdraft conversion. Others who did the sameconversion copied the tank in Aluminum with the similar modification.  He claimed knowledge that it was steel of similar alloy and thickness, and the job is done. It worked good.

I would suggest getting some forceps ( compass, micrometer, etc) and perhap even another tank to use for your materials.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 01:18:37 am by poor boi »
^^^^^^^/l^^^^^^^^^^^^^^/l^^^
. . ______/ l_________________/  l
<'  '  '   '  o .  . . . . . . .................(
 ' VVVVV'   ')))))____>-''''''''''''''''''\  l
' . vvvv_   -              -                 \/

Offline wookie

• Enthusiast
  • I would get up if i knew i fell
Re: gauge of steel in gas tank
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 06:32:41 pm »
26 ga.  if i'm not mistaken.  Be careful, it burns thru very easily