Author Topic: how do you mount your bike?  (Read 4358 times)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
how do you mount your bike?
« on: August 15, 2010, 01:34:51 am »
does any one always get on and off their bike from either the left or right side?i always get on and off on the gear shift side,always,and i push or pull the bike from the same side always,the stand is there,i never get on or off from the brake side,only when riding dirt bikes in tight and #$%*ty circumstances would i get off or on the "wrong side"were right hand drive here ,we drive on the left side of the road if that has any bearing on my habit.

Offline ev0lve

• Master
Re: how do you mount your bike?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 01:56:20 am »
I always figured it was the same reason you rode a skateboard the "right" way or goofy footed.

I always approach the bike from the left and swing the right leg over. Going the other way feels... goofy.

Same deal doing a push start - not sure I could swing it from the right side - probably land on my face and the bike on top ;D

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 02:45:57 am »
I always figured it was the same reason you rode a skateboard the "right" way or goofy footed.

I always approach the bike from the left and swing the right leg over. Going the other way feels... goofy.

Same deal doing a push start - not sure I could swing it from the right side - probably land on my face and the bike on top ;D

I ALWAYS did it that way too! Guess I always WILL. Yep, Always HAVE got on from the left side, ever since day one. No since in changing now! ;) Been riding one way or another, since I was 12yrs old. :) As you can see, I'm 63 now and I do it like my Dad did and my Granddad did. It was good enough for them and I was taught by my Dad.

And BTW, It has been mentioned about maybe being "right Handed" had something to do with it, it I am LEFT handed myself. ;)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 04:53:06 am by bill440cars »
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline axehole54

• Who the heck decided to call me a
  • Hot Shot
  • #169 North
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 02:47:02 am »
Hi here in Canada... always get on the left side, push from the left side and sit sideways on the left side of the seat... must be pretty programmed into most of us or maybe a right handed person thing?  ... however i did used to have a 83' CR250 with a left hand kick that I typically mounted from the right.... wierd bike... I'm the only one I know that could start it while sitting on it, it felt very akward for a long time ::)
73 750k, 78 750k, 69 c10, 87 r1500 (c10), 94 fzr1000

Offline HondanutRider

• Ride often - ride long - ride SAFE...and be an
  • Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 05:12:54 am »
Motorcycles are ridden, and riding originated on horses (maybe on camels to some ;)).  Horses are always mounted from their left side, and hence motorcycles also.  Horses are smart and know what side they are supposed to be mounted from - never try mounting a horse from its wrong side!

The historical reason horses got mounted from the left side?  People riding them carried long swords hung on their left.  Try mounting a horse (or a motorcycle) while a sharp one of those weapons is strapped to your left side...and you'll understand.

Offline Uncle Ernie

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 05:19:44 am »
So THAT'S what that blinding pain is every time I get on!

I'm glad I saw this!
Dude- your 8 layers are showing!

Offline Speed King

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 05:49:40 am »
I had a taxidermist do mine.

Offline Uncle Ernie

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 05:52:57 am »
?
You had your bike stuffed?!
Dude- your 8 layers are showing!

Offline Rocking-M

• I ain't an old timer, but I'm a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 01:46:32 pm »
Motorcycles are ridden, and riding originated on horses (maybe on camels to some ;)).  Horses are always mounted from their left side, and hence motorcycles also.  Horses are smart and know what side they are supposed to be mounted from - never try mounting a horse from its wrong side!

The historical reason horses got mounted from the left side?  People riding them carried long swords hung on their left.  Try mounting a horse (or a motorcycle) while a sharp one of those weapons is strapped to your left side...and you'll understand.

mounting horses from the near side (left) is an English practice. Indians historically mounted from the right side I've read.
At any rate, my horses can be mounted most any ol way. Left, right, or over the rump.  ;D

I mount my motorcycles from the left only.
Ducati ST4 1999
Ducati ST4s 2003
1961/53 Veloton Project (like Johnny Cash's Cadillac ;))
Honda SL350 1971

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 02:51:19 pm »
Maybe that's why the kickstand is always on the left side. I don;t think I could get on from the right side.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline Rocking-M

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 03:47:34 pm »
which side do you mount these critters on?
(spotted on the farm we bought a lot of our QHosses from several years ago, looks like they've changed livestock)

Ducati ST4 1999
Ducati ST4s 2003
Honda SL350 1971

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 06:33:39 pm »
The Kawasaki shop where my brother worked always had the kids that worked there move bikes from the right side so if they lost balance it would tip back to the side stand.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 07:08:01 pm »
I mount mine with fearless determination. It is very important to express your dominance the first few times you mount it. Makes it so much easier to train later on.
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

Offline Steve F

• I have "some-timer's disease" because I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • "To Ride Is The Reason, The Destination The Excuse
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 07:23:55 pm »
Where I have to park the bike in the "garage", it's real close to the wall on the bike's left side, so getting on and off the bike in there is just easier from the right side.  Any other time it's from the left side.

Offline Frankencake

• Yesssssss,
  • Master
  • "I like the old junk"
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 08:26:14 pm »
 Well, I usually start with a few sweet words about her paint and shape.  Then I start to slowly caress her seat moving my hand slowly up the tank and then the key and choke.  I make sure to subtly turn the key on and tug gently on the choke knob.  I get her warmed up  with about 10 minutes of foreplay and then I slide my leg over hers and hold on for dear life while she bucks and grunts like an untamed bronco.  Hours later, when I'm tired out, she's ready for more but I can't go on, lest I collapse.  I bed her down and give her a good night pat on the seat and then leave her fully satisfied until next time.
We always do it sitting up since we both don't like to do it laying down.  I always wear protection, too.

That is how I mount my bike.  Any questions?
"Sure, if you don't want that bike in your backyard, I guess I'll take it."  "I'll probably just scrap it......"

Frankencake:  Brotherhood of the unemployed?  What's our secret handshake?

333:  Think "Shakeweight".

Offline axehole54

• Who the heck decided to call me a
  • Hot Shot
  • #169 North
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 10:25:24 pm »
Well, I usually start with a few sweet words about her paint and shape.  Then I start to slowly caress her seat moving my hand slowly up the tank and then the key and choke.  I make sure to subtly turn the key on and tug gently on the choke knob.  I get her warmed up  with about 10 minutes of foreplay and then I slide my leg over hers and hold on for dear life while she bucks and grunts like an untamed bronco.  Hours later, when I'm tired out, she's ready for more but I can't go on, lest I collapse.  I bed her down and give her a good night pat on the seat and then leave her fully satisfied until next time.
We always do it sitting up since we both don't like to do it laying down.  I always wear protection, too.

LMAO  ;D
73 750k, 78 750k, 69 c10, 87 r1500 (c10), 94 fzr1000

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 05:47:57 am »

BRAVO well pu!!!!!!!!!!
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 07:11:36 am »

:D :D :D :D....that just made my day!
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 07:13:53 am »
many squid bikes have big, hot exhaust cans on the R-side, which will burn the SH#T out of your inner calf!  :o :-[
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline sangyo soichiro

• Tuck
  • Master
  • ☢ the atomic playboy ☠
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 08:24:51 am »
1974 CB 750
1972 CB 750 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,57974.0.html
1971 CL 350 Scrambler
1966 Black Bomber
Too many others to name…
My cross country trip: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,138625.0.html

Offline Rocking-M

• Hot Shot
Ducati ST4 1999
Ducati ST4s 2003
Honda SL350 1971

Offline kslrr

• There is always a Blaster when there is a
  • Master
  • Raising her up right!
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 04:47:10 pm »
Depends on the bike.  On my Sportster Custom, I generally enter/exit on the right, sometimes exit on the left when there are no back-rest-bags.  On my other bikes, I enter/exit on the left.  I always push while on the left, no matter the bike.
Now  1972 CB350FX (experimental v2.0)
        1981 CB650c Custom with '79 engine (wifes)
        1981 CB650 engine
        2004 HD XL883C Custom
        1977 Yamaha XS750D (in progress)
Then 1972 CL175
        1964 Yamaha YGS-1T
No ride is a Bad ride

whyze426

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 10:34:37 pm »
on all of my bikes i get on from the right side,  including my atv and bicycles haha.  Never even thought about getting on from "the other side".  Also, I had 3 knee surgeries last summer on my left knee (two meniscus repairs and a new acl) so i cant really pivot on my left foot too much,  also im left handed so that might have a factor in it too

Offline Ichiban 4

• "Ichi"
  • Hot Shot
  • A "Boomer" still going strong.
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 12:51:12 am »
Well..

This got me to thinking..I've always "mounted" my bike from the left side..or usually.  Hasn't made any difference as to make either..American..Brit..Jap..etc.

My reason? I usually get on when the bike is on it's side stand..which is always on the left.  It just seems natural to swing your leg over from the left..when the bike is leaning over..then push away to the right to upright it.  I've never found it easy/practical to try to mount from the right w/ the bike leaned over..then get my legs and butt planted to get the bike upright.  Apparently some others here do though?

That's my story..in any event.

Ichi
Al Summers

Present: '77 550K
Past: '73 CB450(twin), '72 CB175, '68 CB350, '58 Ariel Square 4 (1000cc), '58 Matchless Typhoon (650cc single), Whizzer Motorbikes '48 -'55 (Pacemaker & Sportsman)..Vespa, Lambretta scooters..etc.

Offline bluezboy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 02:36:27 am »

Oh man, that just cracked me up, I'll have to show my wife this one!