Author Topic: CR 29's Balancing?  (Read 2819 times)

Offline wookie

• Enthusiast
  • I would get up if i knew i fell
CR 29's Balancing?
« on: August 12, 2010, 08:51:47 pm »
Just wondering if by chance anyone with some cr smoothebores HAD to balance them,  and if you did how much did you adjust.

They don't come with vacuum ports and are supposed to be set up from the factory to be a direct bolt on. 

Mine seem to be running well but unless i connect a vacuum port how do i know they are even?

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
Re: CR 29's Balancing?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 09:50:01 am »
Some of the guys that are running CR's have added vacuum ports to the rubber intake manifolds. Search and ye shall find. Gordon and MRieck come to mind. Mine are yet to come. PM those guys and see how much difference it made on their setups.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline RRRToolSolutions

• Expert
  • I love old Japanese bikes!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 12:36:49 pm »
I can save you some trouble there.....

I bought these "splice/coupler" fittings at Lowes, cut them to the depth/thickness of the inlet manifold, glued in place, then as a safeguard against one coming loose or a backfire - found the full stainless clamps to wrap around them to give 100% assurance of staying put. I simply drilled a hole in the clamp so the screw mechanisim would be hidden to the inside and the hole would go over the fitting's barbs only and not over the center shoulder. This meant once the clamp is installed - that fitting is "in-place". Those rubber caps are specifically for this purpose and are available through Kawasaki and come standard on the 1973~1976 Z1/KZ900's for about $2 each. All told, investment less than $15.

I need to clarify - the hole drilled in the bands are smaller than the flange made in the middle of the coupler - that is the holding feature. Also look and you'll find 100% stainless and you'll never have to worry about rust.

Here are some pics - Regards, Gordon/Ilbikes

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 12:44:48 pm by Ilbikes »
Kaws, Hondas, Yamahas, and Suzukis - especially Kaws

Offline wookie

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 06:09:24 pm »
thanks Gordon, that's what i had in mind. 
One question though, when you hooked it up to vacuum were there any major adjustments to be made?

Offline RRRToolSolutions

• Expert
  • I love old Japanese bikes!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 10:31:29 pm »
Yes, there were 2 carbs out by a substantial amount. I bought my CR29's brand-new out of the box too. You want to do a sync - at least check them. One thing I will tell you about the 29's - the choke system is over-designed. It's ability to enrichen the fuel at start-up is way more than your bike will need. On mine, I choke until the bike hits the first lick, then quickly turn it off and the bike runs through warm-up without enrichment. I mention this so you don't flood your bike which is easy to do with the CR's circuit.

Do you have a lot of work done to the engine? I ask because the 29's are a lot of carb for even a cammed bike with pods and pipe. Mine do not out perform the jetted stockers until 8,000 rpm and more. I'll be eager to hear how yours runs.

Regards,
Gordon
Kaws, Hondas, Yamahas, and Suzukis - especially Kaws

Offline sparty

• I just play one on TV
  • Master
  • My engine is 100% stock... wink.
    • Gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 11:26:07 am »
Yes, there were 2 carbs out by a substantial amount. I bought my CR29's brand-new out of the box too. You want to do a sync - at least check them. One thing I will tell you about the 29's - the choke system is over-designed. It's ability to enrichen the fuel at start-up is way more than your bike will need. On mine, I choke until the bike hits the first lick, then quickly turn it off and the bike runs through warm-up without enrichment. I mention this so you don't flood your bike which is easy to do with the CR's circuit.

Do you have a lot of work done to the engine? I ask because the 29's are a lot of carb for even a cammed bike with pods and pipe. Mine do not out perform the jetted stockers until 8,000 rpm and more. I'll be eager to hear how yours runs.

Regards,
Gordon

Interesting Gordon, my CR 29s never needed any adjustment when I checked them - I did however have to jet them and move the needle clip to tune it for my port job.  The vacuum ports on the intake rubbers make it a snap.  Also, I move the choke a hair on start up and then shut it quickly or it will flood as you said.  They sure do push a ton of fuel.

Art
1972 CB750 K2 Cafe' Style

GO AWAY SNOW AND COLD!  Can you see the Hot Rod wants to run...
“That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.”

Offline nokrome

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 11:53:52 am »
mine did need to be synced upon install,

hey sparty, how are yours set up? (needle position, jets, etc.)
Funny thing about regret is...... its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done.

Offline wookie

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 09:38:24 pm »
Gordon,

Thanks for the input.  I have a hard time believing manufacturers tell me to 'bolt on and go'.
I know about the choke circuit, wised up on that one fairly quickly.

My bike is an 836 with mild cam.  Stock head.  Dyna ignition and coils.  Pods, 4into 1.  ngk dr8 eix irridium.  Out of box syncing

I have put about 350 miles so far and am still tuning.  My settings are as follows
Air screw @3/4 turn out
125 mains
I had the needle clip at 4th pos from top, ran strong but seemed a little rich.  Tried the third from top tonight, no good.  Wheezes to wot.  Will try going fifth from top to get a feel for clip positions.

I don't really like the 120's they feel a little lean but the 125's feel a little rich..  What to do?

What are your settings?  Thoughts on mine?  What about using 120's and dropping the clip to fifth or sixth down on the needles?

Thx
JJ
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 09:43:40 pm by cbcafe »

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 06:58:11 am »
Gordon,

Thanks for the input.  I have a hard time believing manufacturers tell me to 'bolt on and go'.
I know about the choke circuit, wised up on that one fairly quickly.

My bike is an 836 with mild cam.  Stock head.  Dyna ignition and coils.  Pods, 4into 1.  ngk dr8 eix irridium.  Out of box syncing

I have put about 350 miles so far and am still tuning.  My settings are as follows
Air screw @3/4 turn out
125 mains
I had the needle clip at 4th pos from top, ran strong but seemed a little rich.  Tried the third from top tonight, no good.  Wheezes to wot.  Will try going fifth from top to get a feel for clip positions.

I don't really like the 120's they feel a little lean but the 125's feel a little rich..  What to do?

What are your settings?  Thoughts on mine?  What about using 120's and dropping the clip to fifth or sixth down on the needles?

Thx
JJ
Drop the main air jet one size with the 120's and/or increase it one size with the 125's
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline wookie

• Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 09:03:27 am »
It seems that the 29's come with a 250 main air.  That is the leanest jet available.  So are we thinking try the 240 main air with 125 main fuel?

Offline nokrome

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 10:42:42 am »
i have an 850, webcam 63a, heavy porting, very open 4 into 1
  needle 3rd from the top, running 120 mains and otherwise stock jetting, i have been experimenting with different combinations trying to smooth out a rough spot at about 3/4 throttle (7500-8000 rpm). i cant really tell if it is a lean or rich issue, the bike otherwise runs super strong throughout the rev range, ive tried running 125 mains but it didnt help the rough spot.
  im thinking of leaving it at 120 mains and experimenting with the main air jets, any opinions ?
Funny thing about regret is...... its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 11:34:11 am »
It seems that the 29's come with a 250 main air.  That is the leanest jet available.  So are we thinking try the 240 main air with 125 main fuel?
240 with the 120 or some 122 main jets

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 11:38:24 am »
  needle 3rd from the top, running 120 mains and otherwise stock jetting, i have been experimenting with different combinations trying to smooth out a rough spot at about 3/4 throttle (7500-8000 rpm). i cant really tell if it is a lean or rich issue, the bike otherwise runs super strong throughout the rev range, ive tried running 125 mains but it didnt help the rough spot.
  im thinking of leaving it at 120 mains and experimenting with the main air jets, any opinions ?

What needle are you running? I'd try a richer one...ie YY9 to YY8.

Offline nokrome

• Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 12:27:38 pm »

What needle are you running? I'd try a richer one...ie YY9 to YY8.
im running the yy8 needles

Offline wookie

• Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 04:46:44 pm »
Ok, so i put the 120's back in, needle clip 4th from top. yy8 needle. 240 main air. That's pretty much how they came to me from dynoman.

This combination works well throughout the range except when you want WOT.  It will accept it gradually but that's not what we are after is it.  My selection of jets etc is limited to 115,120,125 mains. Anything else i will have to order.

I think i will move the needle up, clip down, and see if this enrichens it enough.  Maybe order a richer needle. 

Offline wookie

• Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 05:56:18 pm »
Needle up didn't do much of anything.  I really feel like i need to make the 125's work.  The bike pulled WAY harder but it fouled the plugs.  Either that or a richer needle with the 120's