Author Topic: Manual Cam Chain Tensioner  (Read 1839 times)

Offline Dunstall_74

• Enthusiast
Manual Cam Chain Tensioner
« on: August 15, 2010, 10:07:15 am »
Anyone have any experience with the APE manual cam chain tensioners?  Looks like a good idea, was thinking of putting one on my stock cb750.  I would expect it may be a little tricky to get the tension spot on though?
''It is clear our nation is reliant upon big foreign oil. More and more of our imports come from overseas.''
—President George W. Bush, Beaverton, Ore., Sep. 25, 2000

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
Re: Manual Cam Chain Tensioner
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 11:54:48 am »
Nah - run the engine up, adjust the tensioner until it starts rattling, make a note of the tensioner setting, adjust back until it just starts whining, make a note of the setting and adjust the tensioner back to halfway between these marks!  ;D
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline gnarlycharlie4u

• Far from being an
  • Expert
  • two steps forward, two steps back :-/
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 10:05:23 am »
Nah - run the engine up, adjust the tensioner until it starts rattling, make a note of the tensioner setting, adjust back until it just starts whining, make a note of the setting and adjust the tensioner back to halfway between these marks!  ;D

Sorry for bumping an old topic but...

I'm wondering if moonpie is being sarcastic or if he's serious.

Does anyone have any experience with these manual adjusters?
I pulled apart the K2 and noticed that the cam chain had slapped around in there so much that it wore 1/8" grooves in the side walls of its passage through head and bores. (PO did it not me)

I almost never ride without wrenching first so adjusting this daily wouldn't be a problem, provided I don't have to take the motor out and remove the head cover to do so. :D

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 08:04:10 am »
In a stock machine without any mods,I do not think that this tensioner is needed. If you have a full on big bore, special camshaft, pipes, and bigger carbs, ie: a street hot rod or roadracer, you could use it...but one has to be very carefull when adjusting, I do not use these and they are not to be used with our M3 slipper tensioners.

Trying to adjust while engine is running would be a great mistake.

They are not needed, in my way of thinking, but they do look nice and are well made. Be prepared for problems unless you have a lot of experience in tuning these engines.

KOS
220...221, whatever it takes.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 08:16:04 am »
have modified two motors that originally had semi automatic tensioners (i.e. release lock bolt and let spring take up slack), CB500 and KZ750 into full manual tensioners. The knowledge that the tensioner will not slip or back off under extreme rpm changes is nice but relevant only for heavy tuning, like KOS is saying.

I find that regulating the tension when the cam cover is off is best, gives you most control. another option if the engine is all buttoned up is to chase free rotation in the crank while you screw the tensioner in. It does take a sensitive hand to do this and any plastic slipper blade will not like running under constant tension, have no experience with roller tensioner wheels but guess it will not be healthy for them either.

would only consider manual tensioner on a heavily modified bike or in a model that has a known history of tensioner failures.   

Offline gnarlycharlie4u

• Far from being an
  • Expert
  • two steps forward, two steps back :-/
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 08:40:03 am »
So for a stock motor it's a no.
I'll consider it for my hot rod motor though.