Author Topic: Rear shocks good or bad  (Read 876 times)

Offline CBcafeJunkie

• Enthusiast
  • 75 CB750F
Rear shocks good or bad
« on: August 15, 2010, 01:39:24 pm »
So I compressed my rear springs and took the shock apart. I was able to push and pull the ??piston?? up and down pretty easily, it did have some resistance that felt like pressure buildup. I feel like they should push back but I'm not familiar with them. If you are please let me know what the should feel like for proper functioning.

Offline CBJoe

• Master
Re: Rear shocks good or bad
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 03:46:56 pm »
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the piece you are talking about is the damper.  It doesn't return by itself.  That's the job of the spring.

Not to be too critical, but if you've got the original 30+ year olds shocks, then it's time to get some new ones.  The $80 shocks from partsnmore.com perform better than the originals.  It only goes up from there in price.  All depends on your budget and timing.

cheers, Joe

'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline CBcafeJunkie

• Enthusiast
  • 75 CB750F
Re: Rear shocks good or bad
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 04:37:48 pm »
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the piece you are talking about is the damper.  It doesn't return by itself.  That's the job of the spring.

Not to be too critical, but if you've got the original 30+ year olds shocks, then it's time to get some new ones.  The $80 shocks from partsnmore.com perform better than the originals.  It only goes up from there in price.  All depends on your budget and timing.

cheers, Joe

Thanks. I guess ill just have to drop some dough