Author Topic: 1977 CB850 Cafe, Complete, Updated pics!  (Read 28061 times)

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
  • Oh, so this is where you type the text...
Re: '77 CB750 Cafe project.
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 07:48:16 pm »
"Accidentally......" huh?  ;D I like that one. lol

On another note,
After long thinking, and going back and forth on different ideas for the frame mod, and also the old drag racing guys around here saying "Cut em out you won't weaken the frame"  to trying to see if Headnut had a "Gordon kit" left in stock, I came up with this tonight.

I'm not done with it yet it is just a rough fit right now.

This is 5/8" grade 5 allthread and 16 5/8" nuts around $10 at a hardware store, if you wanted to spend like $40 you could get grade 8.
The nut on each end of the rod will weld to the frame tube and be ground to look like the tube, the other 2 are locking nuts. There is 1" of rod beyond the nut welded to the tube inside the frame. May have to add a lock washer in between, or you could use the self locking nuts.
the triangle gusset will have a plate bolted on it to hold the 2 parts together.

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2010, 08:49:50 pm »
I like the idea but would feel more safe with grade 8.8.  I know at my work O'Reilly auto parts the bolts are like $3 a pair and nuts would be like 4 for $3 I think, could probably do the whole thing in grade 8.8 for under $20 I bet.  I'll check on thursday when I work or if I happen to go by my work tomorrow I'll look.
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Sent from my Texas Instruments TI99/4A Computer

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2010, 09:06:48 pm »
I like the idea but would feel more safe with grade 8.8.  I know at my work O'Reilly auto parts the bolts are like $3 a pair and nuts would be like 4 for $3 I think, could probably do the whole thing in grade 8.8 for under $20 I bet.  I'll check on thursday when I work or if I happen to go by my work tomorrow I'll look.

I forgot about O'reily, and I went there today....lol
the only problem is finding a bolt with 5" of threads, most of them I seen at Lowes only had like 3" of threads the rest was the shank on say a 6" bolt.

A old trick, is to heat the bolt or all thread with a torch and then drop in a bucket of oil, this will case harden it to where you will not even cut it.. it's how they used to make files and hardened tools. there are different heating temps for different hardness's.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 09:12:47 pm by Brian77cb750 »

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 08:29:49 pm »
Well, I have been doing a little here and there when I have time, rounding up parts mostly.
I'm slow with getting pictures posted, seems when I'm working I don't like to take the time to get the camera and take pics, and uploading them takes a lot of time.... ::) lol

Anyway, welded in my frame mod, and I will say it was a pain in the @$$...... you have to have everything extremely perfect for the bolts to thread in and out, and when welding if it draws any direction your screwed, but it's done and works, I think if I ever do another one I will come up with a different idea for this..

Cleaned the engine case up today primed and painted, waiting on a guy I know that does machine work to get back in town next week, to bore my cylinders. Boring to 64.5mm pistons 823cc, in the process of getting a cam, and I'm going to port and polish the head. Cleaned the valves up also.

Sorry the pics are crummy, it was dark when I was done and able to take pics.

More to come!

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2010, 05:43:27 am »
I had my first experience with fiberglass this weekend, turned out pretty good I think for what I had to work with, and what I have read on first experiences some people have. 

I made a plug out of blue 1" thick foam board from Lowes, comes in the 4'x8' sheet for insulation on houses before they are bricked.
I shaped it to what I wanted and then coated with bondo, so the resin wouldn't eat the foam, sanded back to the shape, primed, waxed, then laid the glass...

Bondo Plug

And the Fiberglass...

I may end up using this piece as a mold to have a good smooth finish on the face side, so I don't have to coat this one with glaze, I need to get some Gel coat though.

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
Re: 1977 CB750K Cafe project, first motorcycle build.
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2010, 07:10:36 am »
Cool stuff man! Looks like you know what you're doing!

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2010, 07:15:00 am »
Hey, Thanks man!
I have done many things in my life, I'm a jack of all trades and master of none..... ;D
I always seem to either research forever and learn how to do something or just do it and make it work. lol

Offline SKTP

• Master
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2010, 09:44:36 am »
Looking good...looking forward to watching this build
1978k rebuild thread http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68423.0
BIKE OF THE MONTH - OCTOBER 2017
2003 Ducati M800ie
1997 Honda CR-V
2004 Honda CR-V
1966 Honda S90

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2010, 09:12:21 pm »
This is my latest, not yet complete, but close.....
I have no clue how many hours I have spent on this :o I don't care if I ever do fiberglass work again... lol it is very time consuming and I am sick of sanding and shaping... still have a lot of that to do but here it is...

first, foam plug, sanding and shaping took forever, cause I'm OCD.... ::)

Bondo'd and primed the foam plug, forever long again

Now lay'n some glass

My wife said that I couldn't own a single seat bike................. >:(  and doing this was a pain in the @$$....

I still have to slick everything up good and glaze it so it's all perfect and smooth since I didn't make a mold and just made my seat off of a plug, but it will work. Will look like Glass when I'm done, no pun intended....... ;D

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2010, 04:55:08 am »
WOW DOOD!! Great seat job!!!  It's funny... that's a high priority on my wifes list too! (to make a 2 up seat)....I was going to work it in to my single seat like you did....but took the easy road and decided to WAIT...and make another 2 up later..   
Great job!! Looks Awesome man!

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2010, 03:38:54 pm »
WOW DOOD!! Great seat job!!!  It's funny... that's a high priority on my wifes list too! (to make a 2 up seat)....I was going to work it in to my single seat like you did....but took the easy road and decided to WAIT...and make another 2 up later..   
Great job!! Looks Awesome man!

Thanks man!

At first I was going to make two seats, one like this before I cut it, and then just a flat pan seat for riding 2 up, but I started thinking the tail light will be made into this one and I would have to unbolt the seat and bolt the other one on and plug another light in. Too much trouble and changing things out for me.... lol
So I went this rout, and I think it will look pretty cool, I haven't seen one like it yet, and I looked around for a while before making mine, I like to try and be unique.... ;)

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2010, 11:28:54 pm »
Done a little more on my seat today, started getting the tail light installed.
This is not really the style light I wanted to go with, but after a long time of doing research on the transportation code and all the BS regulations and laws of DOT approved lights it was easier to just get a trailer LED stop/tail light from O'riley that was DOT and SAE approved. Also if it ever goes out, I can get another one locally...

All the tail lights I liked or wanted were not DOT approved, not that it would cause problems, but I didn't want to take a chance since I'm putting so much time into this bike, I would not be very happy if I wasn't able to "Legally" ride it on the highway.. ;)

Offline greasygraphics

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2010, 12:02:09 am »
Wow!! The seat is amazing and the frenched taillight looks b-e-a-utiful!

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2010, 06:36:14 am »

OH YEAH!! I second that!!  You are a master of the fiber-seat! The fact that it's 2-up and SLICK is awe-inspiring.  I'm AWE'd..... it feels like tingles

Offline Toxic

• Expert
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2010, 07:13:24 am »
subscribed ... this guy has some skills :o

Nice build going on here

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2010, 07:12:54 pm »

OH YEAH!! I second that!!  You are a master of the fiber-seat! The fact that it's 2-up and SLICK is awe-inspiring.  I'm AWE'd..... it feels like tingles

Quote from: Toxic
subscribed ... this guy has some skills Shocked

Nice build going on here

:-[....... Thanks for the compliments guy's!!!

I am no master by any means lol this is my first time doing fiberglass and I'm sure someone who has done it for a living could find plenty things I have done that aren't the proper way of doing it, but it is working and seems to be very strong so, I'll keep doing what I'm doing... ;)

Offline wookie

• Enthusiast
  • I would get up if i knew i fell
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2010, 08:09:37 pm »
Bike looks good so far.  One thing tho, did you add a loop at the back of your frame where you cut it short?  If left out you may experience some unwanted flex when you throw it into a corner.

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2010, 08:53:53 pm »
Bike looks good so far.  One thing tho, did you add a loop at the back of your frame where you cut it short?  If left out you may experience some unwanted flex when you throw it into a corner.

Not yet, was getting the seat made to fit it up for that.
I will weld in a cross brace almost like what was originally there, for the passenger seat to sit on and bolt too.

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2010, 05:28:08 pm »
Haven't done much lately, been busy with work and family life.
just sanding bondo, more sanding more bondo......  ::)

Have my seat primed now, waiting to get my cylinders back from the machine shop, they have them bored but haven't finished honed them yet..... :-\ taking their time been over a month, but oh well I'm broke right now anyway...lol
As soon as I get them back I will have my engine back together and ready to go in the frame. I needed the seat done so I can mock it up for brackets and weld them on, still have to build my oil tank, probably do that this week after work at the shop.

I will get some pics of the pistons, cam, and cylinders, when I get it all in one place. 

Here are some pics of the seat primed.

I want to have the frame powder coated, but due to financial situations I'm probably going to paint it, I have access to a compressor and I have a HVLP gun I have painted several things with, so probably be painting it.
My goal is to have this completed by Spring.......!!!! ;D

Offline Ouch

• Enthusiast
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2010, 10:09:56 am »
Got a newb question?

I have seen the frame cutting and putting plugs or in your casae "all thread by" the neck only on cafe bikes. What purpose does that surve?

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2010, 05:56:27 pm »
Got a newb question?

I have seen the frame cutting and putting plugs or in your casae "all thread by" the neck only on cafe bikes. What purpose does that surve?

So you can do top end work without removing the engine from the frame.
With the tubes there you can't do much, this way that section comes out and you can remove the valve cover, head, and cylinders, if you need to do top end work in the future.

Hope that helps ;)

Offline Ouch

• Enthusiast
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2010, 06:27:04 pm »
That makes a lot of since. Thanks. i was wondering cause my 650 doesn't have those bars that are normally cut and as some wise man somewhere said " We have an VERY interesting situation,!"

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2010, 05:24:33 pm »
I built the oil tank today, the one that came on my bike is in good shape, it wouldn't fit with my side cover I made, and I didn't like the style of it.

I had a 71-76 oil tank that I wanted to use so I wouldn't have to fabricate one but it was to large to fit in the frame, and hit the bracket that holds the top rear engine bolt, I guess the frames changed from 76 to 77 yr models.

Here it is, I used the older oil tank as a donor for the fittings.

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2010, 05:25:51 pm »
Awesome! You have some serious skillz there man!

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2010, 05:29:58 pm »
Awesome! You have some serious skillz there man!

Thank you, Brendan!