Author Topic: 1977 CB850 Cafe, Complete, Updated pics!  (Read 28065 times)

Offline Anti-Johnny

• 75 cb750k
  • Hot Shot
  • Poser
Re: 1977 CB750K Cafe project, first motorcycle build.
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2010, 06:37:17 pm »
Thats a really sharp looking oil tank, almost a shame to cover it up!
www.southaustinmotorcycles.com
 Come by and wrench and have a cold one while enjoying the wide array of rides and riders in Austin!

music

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
  • Oh, so this is where you type the text...
Re: 1977 CB750K Cafe project, first motorcycle build.
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2011, 08:11:17 pm »
It's been forever since I updated this, been busy, and as I've  said before I'm not good at using the camera when I'm busy working ;D I don't like to stop what I'm working on to take pictures, or I forget my camera and my phone takes crapy pictures.

Anyway, this is what I have so far.

Putting the engine back together, Bored over to 64mm pistons making it 811cc, new cam chain tensioner, new HD valve springs, hot cam (not sure of what brand or specs, but is comparable to a RC 315 cam), adjustable cam sprocket, new gaskets and seals, Ported & polished head, lapped valves, re-surfaced head deck.

Stock cam on left side, the one I used on the right side.

I took a short cut I may regret, ??? I rattle can painted my frame, wanted to powder coat it but funds and work aren't great right now, and since the engine was ready to go back in I am anxious to get it up and going, if it chips, I can touch it up ;) and can always powder coat it later on.
New fork seals installed, new All balls taper neck bearings, a ton of cleaning and polishing, I'll try and get more, and better pics.
I don't have enough room in the shed to get far enough away from the frame to get a better picture ::)

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
Re: 1977 CB750K Cafe project, engine in frame....
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2011, 12:24:59 am »
Brian,

Looking great. You're a few days work ahead of me. I gotta hide from the Rally and ring my pistons and get the top end caught up to you!

Jerry
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2011, 02:55:20 pm »
Brian,

Looking great. You're a few days work ahead of me. I gotta hide from the Rally and ring my pistons and get the top end caught up to you!

Jerry

Thanks Jerry!
Good luck with getting the top end buttoned up!

I hope I have this thing done, running and bugs worked out in time for the Rally, the only thing slowing me down is the lack of that green paper stuff we call money.... ;D

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2011, 09:48:16 pm »
I have to say, rattle can paint Sucks!
I have used Dupli Color enamel, and lacquer enamel, still seems to chip or scratch easy, I regret painting my frame, small brackets and miscellaneous parts.
Don't seem to matter if you use etching primer or not, I have stripped everything to bare metal clean with acetone, prime, paint, clear. Seems to be worse than when I have had things I don't care if it wears off or not, I'll just wipe it down with acetone, and paint with $1.00 a can stuff and it holds up better than this.
I see myself doing powder coat later on, and from here on out on anything I build. I will build my own oven I can fit a frame in, and also see if I can't get it to 600* so I can do ceramic coatings for the engines, and parts. I used Rustoleum High heat engine primer, paint, and clear. Looks good, but it chips too easy to me, when I installed the engine and any bolts, if you bump it with a wrench your screwed! >:(

Well i don't have a lot of pictures but I have been busy on it and you can't seem to tell....lol
Just cleaning, painting, getting mad at the paint.. ;)

I painted my controls with a lacquer paint, and it went on good, looks good, but chips....

My tank, side covers and tail, with be white also. I was thinking about polishing the controls but seems everyone does that, I polished the MC & IMO it looks too crowded with all that chrome look on the bars.

Got the wheels laced up and trued, waiting on tires to come in. These were powder coated, I tried wheel paint and it was way to crappy.

Going through the wiring harness right now, eliminating things I don't want and cleaning it up a bit. so far I got rid of the SMSU and diode, the oil dummy light, the turn signal buzzer, and my turn signals don't have running lights so I will de-solder these wires from the control board. I bought an HID headlight kit for a car, (was cheaper than the motorcycle kit, and you get an extra..) that I plan on incorporating into the harness also.

The DOHC reg/rec

I went to the guy i have been getting some parts from since I bought the bike, I have become pretty good friends with him, and he cuts me some deals. I finally talked him into selling me a Kerker 4 2 1 exhaust he has had for over 14 years in the back brand new still in the box, got it for $300....... ;D
also got RK530KS chain, sprockets, head light ears, DOHC reg/rec, all for $100

Oh yea, I hate my Clymer manual also... lol It says it covers 69-78 SOHC 4 after rebuilding the top end of my engine with the specs in the Clymer book, I was just curious so i checked the Honda manual I downloaded off the forum and it has the supplement for K7 in it..... >:( Torque specs for the head are 18ft lbs instead of 15ft lbs so guess what...... got to pull the valve cover again. I did catch the fork oil capacity before I have filled them though, K7 is 5.3 to 5.8oz instead of the 7.0 to 7.8oz.

So I took the PDF to my local print shop today and had them print the Honda service manual out and bind it, will keep it in the shed now. The only thing I like about the Clymer, is a color coded wiring diagram, and I had it blown up to a 11x17 ;D

I think that's about it, or all I can think of for the moment.... ::)

Offline YogiBear

• Hot Shot
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2011, 12:08:02 am »
Love the Kerker Exhaust.  ;D

1974 Honda CB750K4        1973 Honda CB500 Four

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2011, 04:38:18 am »
A great looking bike! Your work on the seat was very different, I like original touches to standard ideas. I'm planning on making up my own oil tank also but was up in the air as far as what to do for fittings. But your use of the old hardware was a great idea and so I'll be cutting up my old stock tank soon. I get the work and family thing, same situation here, but I'm really excited to see your proj finished.
That which does not kill you leaves cool scabs which turn into awesome scars.

'77 CB750F Come on...were almost there!

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2011, 05:20:32 am »
Wicked!  White controls!! Cool twist man!
Well done!

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2011, 09:27:10 am »
Thanks guys!!

It's going slowly, but surely... ;D

I also redone my gauges with white faces.

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2011, 10:49:11 pm »

Tires mounted and on the bike, exhaust, drive chain installed also.

I'm not so sure about this Kerker..... ::) for a $600 exhaust IMO it's Fugly.... I like the header, but the megaphone is hideous, they supplied this ugly cheap looking strap that goes from the top shock mount to the can for mounting, and it sticks way out away from the bike. I would think it would be a lot cleaner and closer to the bike than it is.
I may not even use the megaphone and just run a straight header, or make a baffle that goes in the header, If I do end up keeping the megaphone that strap HAS to GO! I will make a cleaner hidden bracket for mounting... :-\

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2011, 06:00:09 am »
Just throwing out ideas here, I'm sure some people here have and can make a new back section to put on the header. This is one I had seen a while back, http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=53015.0;topicseen, plus I have also seen them at several aftermarket sites and of course E-hay.

The more and more I see them the more I'm thinking about converting to spokes, very nice work!

Offline mrrch

• Hot Shot
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2011, 07:03:28 am »
At first glance it looked okay but the strap is definitely hideous and the Kerker should have put the hanger bracket near the passenger peg.
my build

1977 CB750K WITH 1976 CB750F ENGINE

Offline hallin222

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2011, 07:38:39 am »
I will make a cleaner hidden bracket for mounting... :-\
You could probably use the supplied hanger strap, and cut it down to the length needed to attach it to the rear peg mount.  Just remove 3-4" from the strap, measure the C-to-C distance from muffler hole to footpeg hole, drill a new hole in the strap and bam.  Done.

I'd also punch the strap full of holes while I was at it, but I like putting holes in parts unnecessarily.

That method would still leave the megaphone section intact, but I agree, it could be cut off right at the weld before the big megaphone section, and look great.

Offline kenneyginter

• im trying
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2011, 08:25:40 pm »
your a couple steps ahead of me but it looks great. i love the wheels.
77' cb750f2 cafe project
build thread http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=82251.0

Offline tango911

• Expert
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2011, 08:30:26 pm »
very nice job,  cant wait to see it finished.
CURRENT STABLE:
1969 Honda Dream 305 (black)
1974 Mach III kawi 500 smoker
K2 (project)
K2 Original fixer up
K0 original fixer up
2006 CRF250R

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2011, 08:51:18 pm »
Thanks guys! ;)

I can't wait to see it finished either... ;D

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2011, 10:47:51 pm »
Started the bike for the first time tonight!! ;D
The carbs aren't tuned just set them all the same on the bench with a wire, need to get some gauges.
I just used a squirt bottle into the fuel line to fill with gas and plugged it, but IT'S ALIVE! and runs I just had to hear it.

Click on the pics for the video

Sorry the videos are kinda crappy... :D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 11:44:01 pm by Brian77cb750 »

Offline nk140

• Enthusiast
Re: 1977 CB811cc Cafe, IT'S ALIVE!!
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2011, 05:38:57 am »
Looking good man.

Offline mrrch

• Hot Shot
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2011, 05:58:59 am »
You can't tell from the video but they do sound awesome with only the header (mine sounded very deep & throaty, but LOUD)
my build

1977 CB750K WITH 1976 CB750F ENGINE

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2011, 06:15:20 am »
Nice man, congrats!

Offline scroggins5000

• Enthusiast
    • scroggins5000.com
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2011, 03:55:02 pm »
Nice work! Subscribed.

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2011, 05:56:29 am »
Very nice!  :o

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2011, 06:49:43 am »
Thanks for the compliments guys!! ;)

Offline madmatt1

« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2011, 11:18:54 am »
I just happened upon your build, very inspiring to my project underway on my own beloved 1977 cb750. I pretty much went into this thing with the mentality that all your custom parts had to be bought, but thanks to builds like yours I am now seeing the light

Offline DannyBhoy

• Old and Slow
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2011, 04:18:43 pm »
anything mew going on the build
The older I get the faster I was.