Author Topic: Vintage racing, where to start?  (Read 11092 times)

Offline Shenanigans

• At making holes in walls, Im a
  • Master
  • Right turn?
Vintage racing, where to start?
« on: August 18, 2010, 10:01:17 pm »
So I have always wanted to get into SOHC4 vintage racing so...

...where the hell do I start???

This pretty much sums it up.   76' CB592 cafe. 69 750 project, 03 CBR954, 75 750 super sport.

Offline Hasenkopf

• Really, I'm not an
  • Hot Shot
  • This space for hire.
Re: Vintage racing, where to start?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 10:43:34 pm »
do you still have that trail 90 ??                                                                                                 just kidding, good luck !
I like berries.

Offline Shenanigans

• Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 12:30:16 am »
do you still have that trail 90 ??                                                                                                 just kidding, good luck !

Yeah but it has been sitting since I broke to the chain trying to (unsuccessfully) wheelie it  ;D

I guess I should throw out that I am in PHX and I know that a lot of people say to just start with the CB350 twins but I really really like the 4's. I was torn between starting with a 550 or 750 but now that I am reading what I can find on the class rules, I think the 550 would be the way to go so I could be in the middle weight class. Thinking I will be sticking with stock bores and such for a while...
   This pretty much sums it up.   76' CB592 cafe. 69 750 project, 03 CBR954, 75 750 super sport.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 02:48:49 am »
Shen, go to a race meeting and talk to people in your chosen class, that would be a good start.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 05:15:44 am »
Do what Sam said and my .02 would be go with the CB550.Lot's easier to get right for a lot less than CB750.Good Luck,check out Turboguzzi's posts.Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 08:32:35 am »
 To start with, if you can get mags cheap..BUY THEM..
 Even if you dont run them, you can trade for other things you need..
 One thing about Good trading stock, you can get stuff in trade, that money may not buy...
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Shenanigans

• Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 12:12:04 pm »
Do what Sam said and my .02 would be go with the CB550.Lot's easier to get right for a lot less than CB750.Good Luck,check out Turboguzzi's posts.Bill

After thinking about it more and more that does seem like the best way to start. I have a decent sized stash of 550 parts anyways. I think I would start from scratch and make a dedicated bike just for this. I dont really have the resources to go crazy motor wise a and I am not looking to be super competitive but a simple bike that is never going to be street legal should be pretty easy to build.

I know open track days are 135 bucks a pop here so I hope at least in that regard it will be a little cheaper...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 12:15:06 pm by Shenanigans »

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 12:27:33 pm »
I know open track days are 135 bucks a pop here so I hope at least in that regard it will be a little cheaper...

Have you considered drag racing?  ;D
Test and tune night at Z-Max dragway ( a really nice track) is only $20.  You can bracket race a street bike and be competitive as long as you are consistant.  Plus, no trailer or tow vehicle so low cost to get into the game. 
It is a proven fact that modifying a SOHC Honda in any way will bring on the apocalypse.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 01:17:59 pm »

Test and tune night at Z-Max dragway ( a really nice track) is only $20.  You can bracket race a street bike and be competitive as long as you are consistant.  Plus, no trailer or tow vehicle so low cost to get into the game. 

Now your talking 8) 8) 8)

Sam ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Shenanigans

• Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 01:39:19 pm »

Now your talking 8) 8) 8)

Sam ;)

That's what the blue 836 is for  ;D ;D ;D

"Run what you brung" is actually very reasonable at Firebird raceway. Its about 1/5 of the cost of a track day and depending on how many people show up you can get a decent amount of passes in.

I know there is a good sized vintage club that visits here one or twice a year. (I sold a set of 1000 jugs and pistons to one of them who was a member here, cant remember the name...) but they are based out of New Mexico. http://www.smri-racing.org/vintage.php

I have been looking into the AHRMA but that might be a bit over my head.

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 02:21:02 pm »
I still cant find the top speed record for ALL the CB750 years, road and drag are fun but I think the holy grail is Bonniville #$%* a ton I want two.

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 02:38:34 pm »
I still cant find the top speed record for ALL the CB750 years, road and drag are fun but I think the holy grail is Bonniville #$%* a ton I want two.

Back in the early 90's I had a slightly tuned 750 (no big bore kit) that ran consistant low 11's at 110+ quarter miles all day long (I could KILL the tree with that bike, wish I still had it).  Honestly, I think a full mile would only get you another 5-10mph on a mild 750, but I wouldn't mind making a pass or two on the salt  8)  

The guys at Lowbrow Customs just went out to Utah and have a great blog:  
http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/index.php?l=blogview&method=list&link=http%253A//lowbrowcustoms.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default%3forderby=updated
It is a proven fact that modifying a SOHC Honda in any way will bring on the apocalypse.

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 02:42:30 pm »

I believe they paint a line across the track.  Every one lines up behind that and watches for the flag to drop.

:)
;D ;D ;D ;D  Awesome!
[youtube=425,350]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Offline Shenanigans

• Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 02:45:36 pm »

I believe they paint a line across the track.  Every one lines up behind that and watches for the flag to drop.

:)

Yeah yeah, if you must....  ;D

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 03:05:10 pm »
Isle of Man has a vintage class but those brits are crazy we'll never beat some of those old salty bikers even the old dudes on old bikes go death fast...that is another holy gail of vintage motorbike racing   I wish we had TT races like that here. even grassroot loop race ...ya know ??? meet at this bar at this time ride this loop and if any of you win... I'll get you a beer :)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 04:18:47 pm »
I think you should visit the TT before talking about a loop race. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 07:54:29 pm »
To start in vintage racing...it is not all that esay as you cannot go out and buy a CBR600RR or Suzuki 1000 sport bike, safety wire the bike and hit the track. You have to build a bike. Now most people that call me want to know all about the engine and what they can do to make it fast. I have to tell them that they first need to get the proper leathers gloves, and a good helmet, along with good gloves and boots. Now, we can talk about the bike. If they cannot construct  and or built there own...here is the hard part.....it costs a lot of money to build a vintage bike, no one said this is a low cost sport, and in fact it costs more to do vintage than modern... as there are very few turn key bikes and even less... vast lists of suppliers that you can just order what you want or need. You need to look up and locate, just about every little piece that you might need.

Having said that, and this hurts me as an engine guy....I always tell them to work on proper size wheels/rims, then suspension front and rear, bodywork, and exhaust, good ignition and all the little things that need to be do to make a safe, well handling machine. Then using as close to stock engine as you can...go out join a club, pay your fees, go to a good racing school and have some fun. And when you can brake as hard as the rest, go in as deep as the rest in your class, have good corner speed, but find your exit speeds lacking...call me. NOW it is time to work on engine, carbs and ex tuning.

Call me if you need help...

Mark @ M3 Racing.com
220...221, whatever it takes.

Offline Shenanigans

• Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 10:08:07 pm »
To start in vintage racing...it is not all that esay as you cannot go out and buy a CBR600RR or Suzuki 1000 sport bike, safety wire the bike and hit the track. You have to build a bike. Now most people that call me want to know all about the engine and what they can do to make it fast. I have to tell them that they first need to get the proper leathers gloves, and a good helmet, along with good gloves and boots. Now, we can talk about the bike. If they cannot construct  and or built there own...here is the hard part.....it costs a lot of money to build a vintage bike, no one said this is a low cost sport, and in fact it costs more to do vintage than modern... as there are very few turn key bikes and even less... vast lists of suppliers that you can just order what you want or need. You need to look up and locate, just about every little piece that you might need.

Having said that, and this hurts me as an engine guy....I always tell them to work on proper size wheels/rims, then suspension front and rear, bodywork, and exhaust, good ignition and all the little things that need to be do to make a safe, well handling machine. Then using as close to stock engine as you can...go out join a club, pay your fees, go to a good racing school and have some fun. And when you can brake as hard as the rest, go in as deep as the rest in your class, have good corner speed, but find your exit speeds lacking...call me. NOW it is time to work on engine, carbs and ex tuning.

Call me if you need help...

Mark @ M3 Racing.com

For the most part that is exactly what I expect. Building the bike (assuming I will be using a, for the most part, stock motor) is the easy part.  I have a ton of 550 parts around. 4-1 headers, 750 carbs/forks, lester wheels, fork brace, an extra F frame... My own labor is free.  :D The focus would be on getting the handling and brakes dialed in first. When the motor starts to hold me back big time, I will worry about it then. I just dont want to be on the track with the slowest bike having to worry about being run over.

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 03:04:12 pm »
Your spot on Mark all good advice.
The money we have invested in developing and racing our SOHC post-classic sidecar would buy us a brand new LCR F1 sidecar and still leave change.
There is a major advantage we have racing historic bikes apart from the fact we have an affection for them, they have a character and personality that a brand new wizbanger just can't give you.
Historic racing in most countries does not change it's rules or categories radically, so the money and effort you invest in your machinery is not wasted because something bigger, better or newer comes along.

Cheers,
Brian

« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 03:06:32 pm by bear »
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline Shenanigans

• Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 10:19:59 pm »
So basically, unless I have deep pockets I'm out? I am not trying to push the limits of these motors competitively. Maybe I should just get a "in" so trackdays are not so much but I feel like all its gonna be is modern rockets and such. Not to much fun in that.

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2010, 12:58:26 am »
So basically, unless I have deep pockets I'm out?

No not at all, just the opposite in fact.
Just don't go into it half arsed.
Get to an historic race meeting, get into the pits and start talking to people that are running the type of machinery your thinking of using.
Join a club associated with historic racing, they will more than likely be able to provide a resource kit for new racers.
Make shore your bike will be eligible for the class you want to compete in before you start building it.
There's nothing more soul destroying than building your first race bike, rocking up to your first race meeting and getting knocked back because of eligibility problems. I've seen it happen.
Talk to people that are already doing it.
Sit down and work  out your basic start up costs.
Then ask yourself the question do I still want to do this?
If the answer is yes, take Mark up on his offer.
I can't think of anybody over there more qualified to help you out.

Cheers,
Brian

The older I get the faster I was.

Offline gene03079

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2010, 07:47:14 am »
So basically, unless I have deep pockets I'm out? I am not trying to push the limits of these motors competitively. Maybe I should just get a "in" so trackdays are not so much but I feel like all its gonna be is modern rockets and such. Not to much fun in that.

Getting started will run a bit of cash.

Gear including race suit, boots, gloves helmet can be done for $2000.00 Less if you located some good used suit.

Race school for license $300.00

Couple track days for practice $500.00

The cost of what ever you run for a bike. Add some cash for tires. Keep the motor stock at first is the way to go. Your goal is to learn the race line and corner speed.

I run a Honda 175 with the USCRA on the east coast. A typical weekend runs $180.00 fee for 2 races with 2 practice rounds. About $60.00 for fuel and oil. Cost goes up if you crash. Some guys spend a lot more but you can race on a budget.

Don't worry about doing track days for practice on a 550. I run my 175 with the modern bikes for practice a few times a year. Passing a new Ducati in a corner when your on an old underpowered machine is very satisfying.

Gene
78 CB550 74 CB550  71 SL175  08 Harley Ultra
Honda CL 175 racer  1977 Honda MT125R race bike 65 CB160  69 SL350

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2010, 08:15:27 am »
Hi Gene,I heard you've been doing quite well on the little JMR tuned 175 Honda. 8) 8) 8)
Is it much better than it was as a 200?

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline motocyconomad

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2010, 08:47:27 am »
I think you should visit the TT before talking about a loop race. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sam. ;)

I'll come see it someday, your one of those Englishmen that make me nervous though ;)
any advice for this dumb yank to going about it would be awesome
like how much time will I need (a month?) crash spots(sleep) I know you guys have big money so what would it take $$$ DOLLAR wise 100 a day? I'm just talking about spectating and survival beer/food/hotel
 is it a flight or fairy ride to the island?

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2010, 09:19:13 am »
I havn't been for about 15 years and it was quite expensive then.
I'll PM someone that can let you know.
You would have to fly to England or Ireland then get a flight to the Island.
As a rule, you have to book a year in advance for hotels and ferry unless you go as a foot passenger.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92