Author Topic: Thanks and some new stuff  (Read 1654 times)

WiredForStereo

Thanks and some new stuff
« on: February 27, 2006, 11:43:32 am »
I'd just like to say thanks to all who have posted advice on my threads, my '80 CB650C is up and idling and running beautifully though inbetween there is some hesitation. 

Changed the plugs, replaced the filter box, went through two of the carbs, replaced left controls, new tire, new oil (Amsoil), new handlebars, fixed wiring issues, greased rear axle, adjusted valves, replaced shift shaft oil seal, replaced front sprocket cover, replaced oil sender, replaced various light bulbs and indicator bulbs, replaced fuse box, and the only thing still not working is the horn.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the horn or hesitation off idle?
Thanks.
Sol

WiredForStereo

eldar

Re: Thanks and some new stuff
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 11:47:56 am »
Horn is no big deal. Any bike horn will work pretty much as long as it takes the same type of connections your current one does. Most motorcycle horns work the same. So check around for a deal, dont spend $30 for one.

The hesitation is hard to say. Did you adjust the low speed mix at all? It may be a little off. Maybe go through the other 2 carbs.

WiredForStereo

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 11:58:30 am »
I know the horn itself still works, it worked before I changed the controls, the controls are from a slightly different year, and have slightly different plugs, but I spent a while with a tester light, and could find no wires that were activated by the horn button, so I may have to tear into that.

I did find some water in #4 Carb, so there is likely some in #2, 3 too.  I am running some chemtool stuff through the gas now, maybe that will clear up some funk?  I definately dont wanna take the carbs off again, but I do have some small screw drivers and a dentist's mirror, so we'll see if I cant figure out something that way.

eldar

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 12:03:06 pm »
You found water? Did you clean everything out including tank?

Buffo

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 12:27:03 pm »
if you found water in any of the carbs they all need to come off...

and a good tank cleaning too.

and a new fuel filter...

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 03:51:48 pm »
You need to pull the carbs and clean them all, not just the two you can access while they're on the bike.  I know pulling the carbs sucks, believe me, but it's a right of passage for any sohc4 owner and you'll soon be a pro at pulling and rebuilding them. 
Just ask Bob! :D 

WiredForStereo

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 04:44:31 pm »
I dont know if it was really water, or just some condensation.  I only found it on the outside of the main jet just above the threads.  There was no water anywhere else, even when I drained and took apart the carbs.  I still have the gas in a cup.  I have a clear filter, and there is no anything in there either.  The carb bowls were all nearly clean, just some specks of dirt.  I cruised around this evening for about 45 minutes, the hesitation seemed to become less and less.  I think the chemtool is working.

This bike hasn't been sitting, the guy I bought it from had ridden it when weather allowed all winter.  It had a missing idle mixture screw and didnt idle on #1.  Once carbs off and back on, it wouldnt idle on #4, so I cleaned it #4.  Now runs very well except the [now minor] hesitation.

After I switched to Amsoil, the oil weep on the sides of the cylinders seems to have diminished considerably.  When I started it with the old oil, I could see it seeping through the gasket, now virtually nothing.

Offline Uncle Ernie

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 06:20:43 pm »
For the longest time, I thought your name was Wired For Sterno. Now there's a band name...

Use of terms like "not much" and "only a little" have me more than a little worried. It doesn't take a skiploader's worth of dirt to mess up the carbs/ how much is "too much" water?!  Drain the tank and carbs is good advice. 
Horns- spend the bucks and get Fiams with a relay. DUDE!!!
Dude- your 8 layers are showing!

Offline Uncle Ernie

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 06:22:04 pm »
Sorry- almost forgot; when's the last time a new air filter was put in? These things get asthma easy.
Dude- your 8 layers are showing!

WiredForStereo

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 07:04:56 pm »
Well, back in the day when I wanted to get a unique name without numbers, wiredforsound was taken, so what's better then regular sound, STerEO, one day when I need a new name it will be WiredForSurround or maybe WiredForDolbyDigital5.1ChannelSurroundSound or something excessive like that.

Filter never changed, it came with the air box and appears never to have been used.  The old one I had though was grand grode funktastic.

Already drained the carbs twice and got new gas in the tank, so that's been done. 

Its got dual horns, I dont think they are stock, but definately loud.  I just think someone mickymoused it due to some errant wires that seem to bypass the main plug.

I've nearly given up on getting a stock headlight, some motorcycle salvage yard guy [who must've crashed without a helmet] quoted me $80 per ear and then tried to argue that it was a good price because the bike would be worthless without them.  Moron couldnt get it that I have workable stuff, just want the bike to look good and original.

I am not sure, but I think that I may have aftermarket pipes, the stock ones I have seen have the two header pipes into one, then the muffler, mine has both header pipes going into the muffler.  Additionally, the Custom was supposed to have a 4 into 4 setup.  The pipes are quite a bit louder than I think the stock ones should be.

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 06:08:33 am »
As for the horn, sounds like time to take that control pod apart and trace the aires out and make sure that the horn button works. Could be as simple as a power wire not getting power or a bad ground.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"