Author Topic: Silly brake pad question...75 CB750  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Dannodarko

Silly brake pad question...75 CB750
« on: April 12, 2015, 05:36:53 am »
Hi all!! So here's my question, I'm putting my front brakes back together finally that have been off and apart for 3 years.  I decided to buy new pads (why not?) well I have the one on and attached with the cotter pin...and the other it sits nicely in the bore where the piston is but it doesn't really have anything to attach it to the piston...that little set screw is there but that doesn't seem to do anything either. Am I missing something??? How is the pad supposed to retract? Thanks again!! - Dan

Offline 05c50

• 05c50
  • Expert
    • Classic Motorcycle Solution
Re: Silly brake pad question...75 CB750
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 05:42:39 am »
The pad doesn't really retract. The piston will retract because of the square cut seal used on the piston relieving pressure on the pad. A proper adjustment of the spring on the caliper bracket and free moving parts will allow the pad to not drag on the rotor.

........Paul
Wear a helmet,the life you save may be your own.Ask me how I know.               CB650C,CB550F,GL1000,CB750A

Offline CBDee

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 05:53:53 pm »
The pad should be greased around the out side and on the back. It's the surface tension btwn the pad, grease and piston that retracts the pad along with the piston. Don't forget the nylon ring, either.

The actual movement of the pad is only a few thousandth of an inch, that is if the caliper is adjusted right.
Sent from my Old & Busted PC using Myindexfingers

Offline Dannodarko

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 06:06:21 pm »
Awesome, thanks for your help guys!! Looks like I need to buy a nylon ring! - Dan