Author Topic: Project Back in black (75 CB750K)  (Read 31967 times)

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
Project Back in black (75 CB750K)
« on: August 27, 2010, 11:55:40 pm »
Well I bought this Bike a few years ago off a friends dad for $250 it was a basket case that had been sitting since 1989 under a tarp for like 6 of that and no tarp for another 4 or five....  but I saw it found this forum and kinda fell in love with the look and potential.  This is my first real bike and first bike resto of one. 

Anyway I stripped it down to the frame short of taking the engine out cleaned it up and figured out the chrome was shot for the most part and that the PO had misset the points.  Painted most of the chrome gloss black including the bars, fenders and rims.  Cleaned the carbs fixed the points... and then only one coil was firing... so I got a great deal on a dyna s and a 3ohm coils fired right up but couldn't get it to run off choke.. then found fuel coming out of the FRONT of the #4 carb.  Basically was getting cold at that point and had other stuff to do to my cars before winter set in so I parked it intending to get back to it in the spring (garage is not heated or insulated and I live in MI).  Here are the pics from that...
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Sent from my Texas Instruments TI99/4A Computer

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
Re: Project Back in black (75 CB750K)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 11:56:48 pm »
And this is how it sat when I parked it.
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 11:57:26 pm »
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 12:35:19 am »
Sooo last year wasn't that great and I had a car in the garage all summer so my baby sat neglected.  I finally got the car out of my way last week and the garage cleaned up so I went out side today and pulled it out of storage... Which consisted of cocooning it in tarps behind the garage... I know I know but it was better than leaving it exposed.

Well must have got hot in there.. Found most of my plastic lights have heat stress cracks... the left one to the point where it shattered and fell apart when I touched it!  :(  Then I noticed the engine casing... corroded up again (but not too bad) and then the paint chip missing off the front fender where someone must have dropped a trash can or something on it....  So I was like ok lets clean it up and move on... Its at that point I realized I never drained the carbs...  popped the two outer bowl covers ... Mmm paint thinner... O Well I was planning on rebuilding them anyway right.  Started to clean it up and noticed the after market oil pressure gauge looked a little odd... Apparently the heat got so hot it caused the seal to pop out and all the oil leaked out.. at least it stopped that spot of the aluminum from corroding  ::)  Sooo I finished clearing the cobwebs kicked it over a few times to make sure the engine wasn't locked.  So far so good.  Took the battery off the charger hooked it up hit the starter Click!.... goes the solenoid... lights dim I let off they stay dim then after 4 or 5 seconds come back to full.  Charger said it was charged when I pulled it off.  So I spent the next 2 hours cleaning contacts that were already clean and checking wires... then I said hey I got a multi meter... I did buy one for a reason.  Battery says 10.5 volts... Knew that was bad put it back on the auto charger and it read charged so I think my battery is gone... So I hooked up my jump starter to the bike and now the solenoid clicks REALLY fast... So I called it a night and decided to try and use my other charger tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:09:38 pm by Old75_ratafe »
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 12:37:58 am »
Ok apparently the pics I took on my cell phone are to big to post... Seriously?  Hate to see what would happen if a real camera was used lol.

EDIT: OK fixed the pics issue.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:11:28 pm by Old75_ratafe »
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline KJ

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 06:26:27 am »
Keep rolling ... I need to see what you're doing.  Just picked up a 75 k myself and can't decide what to do. You first!!

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 08:40:00 pm »
I actually got a ton done over the last few days and I even managed to snap a few pics I need to figure out how to link them here from my FB account.  I "MIGHT" try and start it tonight I reset everything to stock setting and got the carbs and airbox back on.  THen found out the "works great" petcock I bought is fubar.... So I am rebuilding my old one with new seals and my tank had a small pinhole leak I am trying to plug  :-\  see how it goes tonight if it goes well I will take a short vid and post it too.  See how far I get tonight its all ready 11:30 and not sure I want to wake the neighbors lol.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:13:04 pm by Old75_ratafe »
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 10:21:13 pm »
OK so a little update (I know your dying of anticipation KJ)... IT RUNS! (again).  I fixed the pin hole leaks in my tank and replaced the leaking petcock seals with new vitron seals and they seem to be holding.  I added a small clear fuel filter set my gas on and let it run till it stopped flowing fuel (bowls filled up). Hooked the car battery up and cranked it a few times and it started and stalled.  Realized I had the idle set screw all the way out and cranked again giving it a little gas and... fired right up. I killed it after a few seconds(it was 1am and we got neighbors with infants) adjusted the screw up a little and figured WTH its 90 outside, took the choke off and hit the starter.. fired up again first crank although the throttle approached 3k lol.  Turned it down a tad and had a idea flipped out the kick start and first kick ran!  I should mention a few things when I was rebuilding the carbs I found bent linkage in the the #1 & #3 barrels so it appears that the #4 was only opening when the others were at 1/2 throttle... and I also found that half of my emulsion tubes were clogged completely.  If you look at the first and last pics of the carbs you can see they went from black  "paint" to nice clean metal... Who knew!  :o
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 10:26:27 pm »
The I night finsihed rebuilding the carbs, sealing the tank and rebuilding my petcock, I got a little carried away (4:30am) and also mounted up my headlight cover, mirrors, and seat.
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 10:28:38 pm »
So what do you do when your battery doesn't work.... Jump it with a car battery of course!.....
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 10:33:38 pm »
So since I am on a roll with the updates tonight.... How about a video of it running on 2-1/2 cylinders?

The first few cranks I forgot to turn the switch to run... (insert forehead slap and a resounding "DOH" here)  ::)
When I turned it on it kicked over first crank

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:59:03 pm by Old75_ratafe »
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 11:07:41 pm »
Also a few pics of my painted gauges.... and a little red led light.... I'm sure someone will notice it between the gauges and ask eventually.  I was bored one day when I first tore the bike down two years ago.... and looking around the basement for cool things to put on the bike or use for it... I also had my battery / electrical "box" out cleaning it and the contacts.... SO anyway I ran across this old talking alarm I had from my first car.  One of those really cheap ones that is self contained speakers shock unit and says "armed, disarmed, intrusion, intruder" and makes the typical alarm tones...  It happened to fit perfectly under the battery box.... so now it lives there!  I put the led armed light up in between the gauges and if you tab the bike it gives a warning and if someone sits on it or gives it a good hit it goes off.  I don't intend to really intend use it but it was just hilarious and its loud as !@#$ cause its basically open air not under a car hood. lol

PS yes that odomiter is a confirmed 32,000
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 11:44:56 pm »
Oh I forgot to post this, I made a (very) rough sketch of what I might paint my tank.  The center and outer edges of the tank are gloss black and the two center areas are flat black, keeping with the back n black theme  ;)  I was thinking scallops in flat on the sides and some sort of logo fitting of the bike.  Keep in mind this is all temp just to ride right now and one day I will tear it all apart again and redo it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:47:51 pm by Old75_ratafe »
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline KJ

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 06:38:49 am »
Ride now before it snows! (I'm originally from Detroit area). Your work looks great!

I'm visiting Carpy (cb750cafe.com) tomorrow for some ideas and some parts.  I suck with a wrench and might need some help from him.  The test will be if the old girl can make the 60 mile round trip journey (LOL). 

kj

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 06:46:57 am »
Excellent stuff man!  That paint scheme doodle looks like it's gonna be a SWEET job! 

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 10:22:19 am »
Ride now before it snows! (I'm originally from Detroit area). Your work looks great!

I'm visiting Carpy (cb750cafe.com) tomorrow for some ideas and some parts.  I suck with a wrench and might need some help from him.  The test will be if the old girl can make the 60 mile round trip journey (LOL). 

kj

I gotta chime in on ol carpy some people bash him I've found (overpriced ect) but if it weren't for him I wouldn't have found my passion for these bikes (or this awesome forum) and seen what these bikes can be.  Anyway KJ good luck on your ride man.  (I'm assuming your carb rebuild went well then too?)
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 10:24:23 am »
Excellent stuff man!  That paint scheme doodle looks like it's gonna be a SWEET job! 

Headnut coming from you that seriously means something thanks man.  And I hope the tank turns out good its just a rattle can krylon job for now.  But if I can get it cleaned up enough to ride... Who knows maybe next year I paint it for real and start drilling holes in things and polishing them.
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 12:36:29 am »
UPDATE TIME!!  ;D

Ok well I got a little done today.  Changed the rest of the plugs... after buying a new socket for the inner ones with thinner wall cause I lost mine (forgot what a #$%* those were).  Set the mix screws back to 1 turn out instead of 1-1/2 after rereading the carb settings for our bikes. So fired up and the one wire pomply began trying to singe itself on the header after a minute.  I quickly grabbed a pair of pliers and tried to move it to the side... which resualted in picture number one... Got the wire off before any damage... but also got a nice burn too  ::)

So that aside it runs great it was like mid to low 70's and she kick starts with no problem and not even the choke on.  I have good oil pressure.  And yes I know the light is on in the video.  I crossed something when I pulled the wiring to paint the bars and clean connectors 2 years ago.  The gauge I added says I'm just fine  ;) (70psi cold and around 40 hot and at idle)

While I was letting her idle a bit I kept looking at that sad broken turn signal... Sooo until I get a new one I super glued it back together and then hot glue gunned it to reinforce it.  It looks like hell but better than no light and I can ride without getting a ticket if I get to that point before the new lens gets here.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 01:06:29 am by Old75_ratafe »
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 12:44:10 am »
I also was bored tonight and decided to tackle the old electric fuse box that uses old glass fuses and also has no provisions for accessories. I bought this ATO blade style fuse box with two other spots on it for extra things... like my alarm. The box was almost perfect same size as the original only problem with this is it used individual wiring for EACH fuse (no common positive). So I decided to change that and make one positive for all of them.

I cut a V into the plastic so I could run a wire through them all where the plastic piece was that held them in the box. Then cut off the extra spade connectors, ran a piece of wire through them all soldered them all to it, and finally I used the hot glue gun to insulate and help keep them in place. 

I know another member on here used this same box but I didn't like the idea of it not having a common positive... problem solved... took me about 35 minutes.
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 12:45:15 am »
The rest of the shots
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 01:02:31 am »
While I was out there I also cleaned up my exhaust guards and mounted them, figured out the set of grips I bought 4 years ago actually do fit I just didn't realize there were different sizes for each side (throttle is bigger) so I put them on, cleaned the engine a bit more, and I also took off the seat to sow up a small tear and mounted the original back on.  Oh I also lightly with a cloth used some mothers polish on my controls... and am now gonna have to get out a buffing wheel and do them up right....

SO I need some feedback guys I think the rat look is starting to get to much chrome (I found myself cleaning finger prints today ::) ).  What do u think?  I still don't know what I am doing to the tank I might just fill the emblem spots and leave it flat black for now.  I have a spare tank and am thinking about trying my hand at making knee dents in it (maybe not till spring though) then having it boiled and sealed.  I also do have side covers that I need to fix cracks on but have no emblems.  So yep fill em and paint em flat too.

What do you guys think about this seat
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220583727105&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

and anther member recommended some Euro sport bars which are a little lower than stock but not uncomfortable in long rides?
I also have some controls that are off a later year that I think might look good... although ours polished do look really good.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 01:10:18 am by Old75_ratafe »
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 08:25:55 am »
Awesome! I love the spraycan paint jobs!...especially flat black! Great choice (my build is 100% rattle can...)  And that's a slick ebay seat...so you get the foam and cover...and use your own pan!  COOL  Makes me want to do it with my old seat!  Looking good man!

Offline MasterChief750

• Detonation
  • Expert
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 10:02:35 am »
ive been thinking about one of those seats as well let us know about the quality
1978 CB750 K - Project Red Headed Step Child
1976 CB750 K - Drag Bike
Some things i know, others i dont.
I AM THE STIG
Sam is THE STIG
he said i can be STIG3 tho

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 10:41:26 am »
Awesome! I love the spraycan paint jobs!...especially flat black! Great choice (my build is 100% rattle can...)  And that's a slick ebay seat...so you get the foam and cover...and use your own pan!  COOL  Makes me want to do it with my old seat!  Looking good man!
ive been thinking about one of those seats as well let us know about the quality

Yea lol just can't decide on gloss or flat for now.... was kinda kicking around the idea of gunmetal and do the case in it too with polished fins and side covers.  I could go flat and then next season use it as my base coat.  Yea I like the seat saves me from making a fairing on the back and the guy does 20% off all the time.  As far as the quality goes I talked to a guy on here who got one and he said it was good and still comfy on a long ride.

So I have this spare tank I bought and am not using it has one of those old gas gauges on it (that needs to be fixed).  Hednut you did some knee dents on yours right?  Was that rediculiously hard?  Its a spare tank and its rusty (but no leaks) so I'm not worried about messing it up to badly.  I think I saw somewhere on here where you could do slight dents without having to cut up the tank.  This will probably be a next year project but its something I've been thinking about and even my own mother when she saw the bike was like that tank looks really big and agreed with the knee reliefs.  if I do it I'll have it boiled and coated / sealed afterwards.

I'll try and post a pic of the tank on here later.
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 01:55:33 am »
So I noticed something today it was like 60 or 65 (cold enough for a jacket...) and I still was able to kick start my bike with no choke at all (actually tried to die with choke).  This doesn't seem quite right I have a feeling I am burning way rich.  Mind you I haven't synced the carbs yet.  I recalled our bikes being hard to start cold am I just like really lucky?  I have my idle set around 1200+ RPM
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black