Author Topic: CB750 K6 Project  (Read 1771 times)

rdgrnr

CB750 K6 Project
« on: August 27, 2010, 07:34:09 am »
I bartered some work on a 77 CB750 A for this K6 parts bike. It was sitting outside uncovered for at least 3-4 years. I really didn't check it over before I made the deal, just more or less glanced at it. When I was was ready to pick it up, the front brake was locked up (not really a surprise). So, thankfully I had brought the heavy duty ratchet straps(forgot the tools at home) and ended up using them to drag it up the tilt-bed trailer.
Got it home and checked it over and found the exhaust was a disaster. They looked good from the outside and top, but underneath they were completely rotted out. The lower right muffler was rotted off as well.
Gonna need some electrical stuff as some it was removed...
Was able to kick it over for compression check and got 120 across...I guessing this will go up when I get it running
This is my 5th project, (77 Kawi 650B1, 79 Kawi 1000 LTD, 78 Naked GL1000, and 80 CM400) and is in the worst shape. Nothing like a good challenge.  ;D
So, here are a few pics...

The first item on the list was to check carb condition...a little on the dirty side

With some cleaning, and O-ring replacements...they turned out nice

Next in line was the tank...thankfully the P/O had drained everything...the tank is in great shape..the petcock was a mess, but cleaned up good.

Cleaned engine area to get a look at what I have to work with...

Your basic pile of crap...am thinking on getting 300's for this and rejet while I have the carbs off...any thoughts ?

Since there is no title for this, I am most likely going to find a titled frame and go from there. I not sure what the hassle here in Minnesota is for getting a title, but I'm guessing the way the DMV is here, it might be easier to switch parts than to title this one.

If anybody wants throw their ideas, hints, 2-cents, etc...feel free  ;D

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 08:27:44 am by rdgrnr »

Offline hoodellyhoo

• CB350F
  • Master
Re: CB750 K6 Project
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 08:13:52 am »
Not a bad looking bike for sitting outside in MN for a few years. I just finished reviving a K6 this spring (had to sell it) and have another one coming my way after I do some work for a friend. Bummer about the exhaust rotting out. If the headpipes are in good shape you might be able to sell them for someone to make their own exhaust. There was another forum member who went with the HM300's on his later K and he was pleased. They do sound mighty nice.
1972 CB350F (Back from the Dead!)- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=20822.0
1965? S65 - Coming Eventually!
1972 CB750K2 (father-son project)
1976 CB750K6- (sold) http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=96859.0
1976 CB750K6 (sold)- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=62569.0

rdgrnr

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 08:27:00 am »
Not a bad looking bike for sitting outside in MN for a few years. I just finished reviving a K6 this spring (had to sell it) and have another one coming my way after I do some work for a friend. Bummer about the exhaust rotting out. If the headpipes are in good shape you might be able to sell them for someone to make their own exhaust. There was another forum member who went with the HM300's on his later K and he was pleased. They do sound mighty nice.

I also was thinking I could cut the mufflers off and put on some slip-ons...just not sure what would fit on this small of a diameter. Otherwise, the headpipes are in good shape...

rdgrnr

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 09:53:50 am »
So here's the list of what this one is gonna need:
Seat, Carb boots, air box boots, left handle controls, fuse box, full exhaust (preferably 300's),
front caliper, headlight rim, and side covers.
I'm sure there will be more...there always is  :-\

If anybody needs some aluminum polishing done, and you have something I need, perhaps we can work something out...

rdgrnr

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 06:23:16 pm »
yup...the list is growing...
ignition & seat latch, at least one coil, front master...going to change the handlebars as well cuz I'm not a fan of what is on there now.