Author Topic: carbs not wanting to fill with fuel? 1978 cb750f  (Read 1199 times)

Offline motomotard

• Enthusiast
    • GoGo Garage
carbs not wanting to fill with fuel? 1978 cb750f
« on: September 02, 2010, 10:01:26 pm »
so ive just finished kinda putting my super sport back together.  top end has been redone, new gaskets, rings, etc.... other new doo dads.

i "rebuilt" the carbs.  took everything apart and cleaned em.  4 new carb kits installed, jets, gaskets, etc...

wiring harness and exhaust back on.. figured id try to start it.

when i hook the fuel line up to the carb it seems like the carbs are refusing to take gas...   they just wont fill.  bowls are still dry, i dont see any gas shooting out the jets.   it will turn over and if i spray some gas into the carb intake with the slides up and then kick it, it will run for a second then die out.

any idea what might be doing that?  tried two different tanks, dont think its a venting thing.. they just wont fill with fuel...

any help?

a pic of the beast in question from a little while ago

Offline Logan80

Re: carbs not wanting to fill with fuel? 1978 cb750f
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 10:56:35 pm »
Have you tried turning the petcock to On and Reserve with the fuel lines not attached to see that it flows fuel properly?

Offline motomotard

• Enthusiast
    • GoGo Garage
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 11:12:04 pm »
Have you tried turning the petcock to On and Reserve with the fuel lines not attached to see that it flows fuel properly?

oh yea.  fuel is comin out of the tank fine. 

its just not going into the carbs.   the line will fill up and just sit... its wierd

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 12:53:10 am »
Did you put the floats in upside down?
At any rate, the float valves control carb filling if there is fuel in the feed pipe(s).
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 02:17:22 am »
At any rate, the float valves control carb filling if there is fuel in the feed pipe(s).

Damn! Lloyd beat me to it.  ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline motomotard

• Enthusiast
    • GoGo Garage
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 08:43:40 am »

dont think so.. but i can check.   i wouldnt put it past me.

Offline motomotard

• Enthusiast
    • GoGo Garage
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 10:03:43 pm »
yup.. im an idiot.  two of the floats were in upside down.  dont know how i did that, musta been late at night and i wasnt payin attention.

fixed that and it literally started on the first kick.  wow.  my harley was never this easy.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 10:25:24 pm »
Ha ha, don't feel bad mate, you're only a motomo 'tard.............  ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)