Author Topic: Camshaft  (Read 1643 times)

Offline spiritof67

• Hot Shot
Camshaft
« on: September 03, 2010, 09:56:28 am »
I recently came across a CB750 camshaft that I can't identify. The markings are: near the cam drive gear "ears" it says R5, and on the opposite side it has the number 5. It doesn't look like it was ever used but has some surface rust on one outer lobe.

What is it? Does anyone know?

Spirit

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
Re: Camshaft
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 10:00:26 am »
I recently came across a CB750 camshaft that I can't identify. The markings are: near the cam drive gear "ears" it says R5, and on the opposite side it has the number 5. It doesn't look like it was ever used but has some surface rust on one outer lobe.

What is it? Does anyone know?

Spirit
The R numbers are Honda's manufacturiing number. So at least you have a stock cam. It may have been welded up and ground down to a new lobe size. Easy to tell holding it up to another.

Or posting a picture.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 10:04:35 am »
Have you searched for cam information? Had you done that (which can be inconclusive at times) you would find that what you have is a cam. That's as conclusive as we could get for you. The only way to truely ID a cam is by aftermarket markings such as RC327, 125-75, etc. Honda does not ID their cams. What you can do is measure the lobe heights and compare or install it and check the numbers ie lift and duration but this still will not ID the cam.

Sorry for no positive answers.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline spiritof67

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 06:05:33 pm »
"...what you have is a camshaft.."

Wow! It's a camshaft! Good to know.

Yeah, a shame it can't be identified. It looks brand new. The threaded holes for the cam sprocket have never had a bolt in them. I already have a perfectly good Andrews cam for my kit bike but I think I'll look into a weld/regrind for this one.

Spirit

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 06:41:33 pm »
Anything that is cast into the blank like the R5 will not tell you what cam it is if it is aftermarket. Those are stamped in them with a steel stamp, or written with a vibro pencil.

Offline spiritof67

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 07:04:10 pm »
The R5 number/letter are definitely original and must have been stamped on it, just as the raised 5. I'm trying to figure out whether someone gave me a stock cam back in the '70s for some reason - since it's brand new - or,well, ?

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 07:08:45 pm »
Anything stamped into the end of the cam? Have you measured lobe lift?
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 07:18:00 pm »
The R5 number/letter are definitely original and must have been stamped on it, just as the raised 5. I'm trying to figure out whether someone gave me a stock cam back in the '70s for some reason - since it's brand new - or,well, ?
Like Jay said....aftermarket are marked. You have a stock cam.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"