Author Topic: '76 550F "Mongoose" project  (Read 2691 times)

Offline mongooztt

'76 550F "Mongoose" project
« on: September 07, 2010, 07:03:00 pm »
Hi all,

I'm starting a build thread for my 1st motorcycle project, and there couldn't be a better place to do it!  I have family members that ride, but for some reason I never got the urge to hop on a motorcycle (I'm more of a car guy...I have a couple '68 Mustangs as well).  Most of my family rides V-Twins, but I've always liked the Japanese fours.  It started with '90s Ninjas as a kid then I drooled over turn of the century super sport bikes in college, but I never picked one up due to budget constraints and being scared of my own riding ability.  This synopsis gets us up to a few weeks ago when I came across a '78 CB750 for sale on the side of the road.  I looked it over, talked to the owner about its history, yada yada, and while I was seriously thinking about buying it...someone else stopped by and took it home.  This event jumpstarted my interest vintage Japanese motorcycles, and motorcycles in general.

Flash forward one week.  I came across this craigslist ad:  "Honda and Yamaha motorcycles, 70's, sitting in a barn for 10+ years, $450."  The owner was about an hour from me so I picked up my best friend, a trailer, $250 cash, and we were off.  Here is the photo from the ad and this is exactly what we saw when we pulled up:

Not running, no keys, flat tires, a mess really...but both were 100% complete.  The CB shows 11k on the odometer and the Yamaha 3k!  I asked the guy what he wanted for the Honda; he said he'd take $200 for it but $250 will get both of them!  I couldn't believe it, the ad said $450!  It was a deal and we loaded them up, we had no idea what the Yami was but it was pretty damn cool too!  My buddy said he'd buy it for $60 and I agreed.  I didn't know what to do with two bikes and thought we could work on them together.  It turns out the Yamaha is a '74 DT-175A.  Back to the Honda:

On the way home

Safe, sound, and nasty...

The next day yields a much needed wash.  The barn it sat in for 10+ years turned out to be a chicken house...you can only imagine.

By this point...I'm thinking, "not bad for $190"

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: '76 550F "Mongoose" project
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 07:10:29 pm »
Wow that tank looks mint! How 'bout the inside?

You may want to put some oil in the cylinders and work 'em a little.

Good Luck!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline scooter1

• Hot Shot
  • 1973 cb750
Re: '76 550F "Mongoose" project
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 07:48:56 pm »
Nice find.....its amazing what a good wash will do!!!!!!  Enjoy!!