Author Topic: 10 days out. From VA to MN and back again.  (Read 3503 times)

Offline Tretnine

• Prove it,
  • Hot Shot
  • Figuring it out, one expletive at a time.
    • http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/
10 days out. From VA to MN and back again.
« on: August 18, 2010, 03:44:28 pm »

Here's the first half of my story about driving from central VA back to MN. Feel free to critique and make comments. I'll put up the rest when I get to it. It's a work in progress and isn't proofread or honed.

This is also posted on my blog, Behind Bars along with other stories in a similar vein. http://behindbarsmotorcycle.blogspot.com/ You would be doing me a favor by checking it out.

When it comes to motorcycling, I tend to stay within my 'home radius.' This means that during any  bout of weekend riding if I see a $3 cup of coffee, I can balk indignantly like any normal human being and be home grinding beans before I fall asleep. Short trips are easier and less intimidating than long ones. Once, I started planning a longer trip with my friend Hugh. We would go from Virginia through the plains states to Minnesota, up through Canada, and back again. But, Hugh stopped taking his meds, and I stopped thinking it was a good idea. His driving became a bit erratic, and besides, how far would a poorly maintained 70s Honda really go? You can only get 2,000 miles out of an oil change... short trips were the safe bet. I always regretted skipping that trip. It seemed like a great way to see the country while simultaneously dabbling with alcoholism. But, as the expression goes, better safe than sorry.

That was a couple years ago. Recently, as I was blearily making my way through my morning cup, I happened across a bit of news on Facebook. My friend Hugh, who had recently moved to California, had committed suicide. For all the wonders of our modern social network system, I can tell you that  Facebook is a terrible way to learn of the death of a friend. Knowing his trouble with depression, it was understood suicide was an option. The thing is, you never really understand that that means. I was left shaken. What happened, what caused this? What could I have done, and eventually... what is going to happen to his motorcycles? I talked to some of his other friends and also his brother. Hugh's brother and I swapped stories and talked, and I eventually decided to save as many of Hugh's bikes as I could afford. 1.(Another) poorly maintained Honda cb550, candy apple red, 4 into 1 pipes and rotten tires, and 2. A 2006 BMW F650GS, a black, lightweight, high-seated BMW dual sport with exhaust pipes that run high right under the passenger seat, and rotten tires.

That's also how I ran out of excuses. Like the expression, I was safe, but I was also left sorry, genuinely sorry 'Raptorman' and I never took that trip. A few weeks after learning the tragic news, and only days after getting the paperwork for the Beemer, I told work I wouldn't be in the following week. Some business can only go unfinished for so long. Monday morning I would leaving Virginia, track through West Virginia, Ohio and the plains states to Minnesota, where I'd be able to stay with friends and family, after which I could head back through the upper peninsula of Michigan (instead of Canada) and return through through Ohio and West Virginia. Easy. I had about four days to plan, and of course, no camping gear or bags and the Beemer's seat was only good for about 20 miles before it felt like it was made of bees. This was going to be a real, short notice, half baked, Homage to Hugh.

My wife came home on Thursday a bit upset after reading my Facebook updates. Why was I looking for a place to stay in Ohio and Indiana? Was I going somewhere? Why was she the last to know? Truth be told, it was a shoot from the hip affair.  My vague Facebook profiles were about as well informed as I was. It seems Facebook is just a terrible news medium. Sorry, Hon, I just decided today... you're welcome to come along, but uh, pack light, really light. Also, I need to see about a tent. Kelsie declined my generous offer, and suddenly a riding partner struck me as a nice idea. As for digging up a riding partner, here's trip tip # 1: people with running motorcycles have jobs. People without jobs tend not to have enough money to rebuild blown motors.

Saturday we shopped Wayne Cycle in Waynesboro, VA. They had some Fieldsheer soft side saddle bags for relatively cheap, which improved the packing scene. I also got outfitted with deep discount rain gear (all of it in my size, tall and skinny... this never happens)  and an Airhawk seat. With somewhere to put clothes, I took Peter Egan's advice and stuffed the new bags full of worn underwear and stained jeans, clothes worthy of throwing away along the journey. No laundry, more space for the inevitable souvenir crap, and if everything went right there wouldn't be much to bring home. I started designing intricate bungee webs to tie all of my bags and camping gear together and pondering the benefits of each variation. Save decent rubber I was trip ready.

The local bike shop, despite their apathetic stance to my schedule, (central Virginia to central Ohio by nightfall) managed to get new tread mounted by 10:30 Monday morning. The trip rubber would be Bridgestone Trailwing 80/20 on/off road tires. Not perfect for all the mountain climbing and highway driving scheduled, but better than running on the remnants of tread past, or worse, waiting until Wednesday. With the wheel mounted and bags bound together in an intricate web of colorful bungee the trip officially started just a few minutes before noon.

I stopped at the first stoplight on the way out of town about 12:15. Trip tip #2: If you can smell toasted neoprene, it's already too late. In the parking lot of 'Our Lady of Perpetual Resilience' or similar church, the bag situation began to grow dire. Upon reevaluation, it looked as if a stoned spider had dropped acid and laid technicolor web all over, and the bags had already sagged onto the pipes. A few white haired ladies were, apparently, doing laps of the parking lot as I rebuilt the web and shifted the bags. Half convinced the new system would work I climbed back on the bike to finally ready to leave my zip code.

As the trip went on, the Blue Ridge Mountains grew until I was climbing and trees were all that could be seen.  In western Virginia the BMW really came into it's own. At only 425lbs wet, the bike easily chewed up Appalachia. The new tires even took the fight out of the turns as the road became all corners. Even fully loaded, the bike popped right over the hills. The mountains rose and fell into West Virginia and passed through about a hundred little towns, just speed bumps to remind you of where you are. Before this trip the only things I knew of West Virginia were gleaned from gas station bathrooms and the back country knowledge of “Deliverance.” But, in the real world If you own a motorcycle you need to find somewhere to go on the other side of  Appalachia, it's worth the trip. The whole day disappeared in a flash of downshifts and leanings.

The first night's camp was in the Hocking Hills region on southeastern Ohio, where I surveyed the day's damage. My saddle bags were slowly decaying, I had torn off a mounting strap at a gas station while lifting the bags. (Because, of course, the gas tank is at the rear and the bags had to come off at every fill up.) and I almost tore off one of the handles by jerking the whole rig off the bike at the camp site. According to calculations, the bags would be thrown away before the last of my clothes. Trouble. With camp set up, I dwelled on this eventuality, but was interrupted as a mother and her kids approached. “It looks like you're on an interesting trip, we brought you a bedtime snack.” She handed me s'mores.  As I took the plate, confused, the woman added, “Oh, the milk is also organic, in case that's important.” Her kids ran off to their site like I was a monster. I managed to get out a thanks as she waved and toddled off. Stunned, I ate my bedtime snack. The next morning I took extra time loading to keep the remaining straps attached to the bags, and the remaining bag from dripping away under high heat. With everything meticulously tied together, I carefully backed into a tree on the way out of camp, cracking my tail light lens. I wonder what will be left by the time I get home.

Past Ohio is faring country, all wind and corn. All I can say is avoid Indianapolis, bring some music, and the food at Hardee's hasn't gotten any better since the last time you ate there. If you've never been to Indiana, the crossroads of the nation, I can save you some trouble. Like much of the midwest you feel as if you're riding on 'no' street expecting to cross 'where' avenue at any moment. Depending on where you're at, sprinkle in alternating bean and corn fields. This will get you to Minnesota. I appreciate and love the midwest, where I was born and raised, but it is not a place for small, dual sport motorcycles. After two days of grinding through the glacier-flattened states, I finally arrived home.

Going home is great after you haven't lived there for a while. I found my dad at the country club, though he hasn't golfed since his back was blown out in the middle of 18 holes some years ago. I walked in and stood right next to him at the bar. It must have been five minutes before he even realized who I was. Startled and smiling, he bought me a couple of beers and asked about the trip. His friends recounted some rather vivid stories and after 1,300 miles I felt like a war hero. The real star back in Minnesota, as well as through the rest of the trip though, was the AirHawk seat I picked up  in Waynesboro right before leaving. It absolutely transformed the hard BMW seat. I have a theory about the Germans and their seats. It goes that Germans either come schnitzel softened enough to use a hard seat like this, or are thin, efficient, engineering types who view discomfort as weakness. My dad, his bad back and his '84 Virago have the same distance problem I had when I set off on my trip. After bout 20 miles pops is all but used up. But, I tossed him that seat before riding on Thursday and he managed to get through 150 miles of without much ado or excessive stopping. He even called me today to get the information so he could get his own.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 06:28:17 am by Tretnine »
http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/

2009 Kawasaki Concours, 1978 cb550k, 2006 BMW F650GS

Member of the AMA

Offline my78k

• I am Meat-O of the Hungry Horses MC
  • Old Timer
Re: 10 days out. From VA to MN and back again.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 05:19:10 pm »
well I am certainly intrigued...waiting for the next installment...

Offline Tretnine

• Prove it,
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 06:28:53 am »
I spent the bulk of my time in southern Minnesota riding aimlessly with dad on his 1984 Virago or with my brother who was, of all things, running a putt putt golf course for the summer. When he wasn't totally occupied with that, I managed to get him out to drink a few beers and test his manhood with a tried and true method: Big Buck Hunter. After a couple of days of riding, relaxing and plastic shotguns, it was time to head to Minneapolis for the next leg of the journey. My good friend Steve and his wife live there and are working on their doctorates in neuroscience. It's not as bad as you think, Steve likes the book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and in college I watched him drink an entire box of Franzia. When you're athletic guy of 6'5” I guess you can get away with things like that. The plan was Friday night at his apartment and Saturday camping by Duluth and Lake Superior.
I pulled into Steve's place furious. Twin Cities construction is always bad, but somehow I managed to get stuck in a loop of cones and concrete retaining walls and drive the worst part of Cities traffic twice. At least we weren't leaving again until tomorrow. Steve would drive for the rest of the day, we could get beer and relax on his porch. He met me at the door. “Are you ready to go right away? We'll be ready to go in a half hour.” Frowny face. Seriously, this is how it's going to be.
Steve planned our departure to fall as rush hour was starting, so I was able to experience a full day of horrid driving. Once we got further upstate, though, everything settled down. It's hard to stay stressed in such beautiful country. We ate at "Frankie's" on the road, where they have a world class milkshake then, we drove through Duluth, a beautiful, though cool, city, where I managed to buy an agate (souvenir crap) but by this point there was plenty of space in my bags. Trip tip #4: Buying rocks as souvenirs is not good for weight. We found a nice campsite in the middle of nowhere, and spent the night drinking beer and chopping logs with a hatchet. Ah, camping.
The second day we moved further east and found a new campsite. I tried to convince Steve to buy his own motorcycle, but all that resulted was him learning to drive on my beemer. A horrifying affair, highlighted by his hulking frame. I thought my bike was done for. When he got on the whole thing collapsed down under him. It went like this:
“Now, let the clutch out slowly.”
“I am”
“No, slowly”
“Well, what the hell?”
“Slower”
“I'm letting it out as slow as I can”
“Sigh”
Steve dumped the clutch and killed the motor. Repeat, repeat... I worried I would be flying home. Eventually he made it around the campsite, probably thanks to the ABS system. Later, we went swimming in a rust-colored river attached to Lake Superior, and eventually floated toward the big lake itself. If you don't know, the average water temperature of Superior is 40F. Steve used some very colorful language to say that the first one out was a rotten egg. When we got there, though, neither of us cared about eggs. We screamed like little girls and danced on the rocks on the shore. On the way home, we decided to buy some warming scotch. We spent the night sharing a bottle and looking at the stars. They're so clear and stark away from the city. We were moved by that feeling you get when you really look up at night... insignificance. We talked for hours and it all seemed profound –but it was probably all that Cutty Sark.
In spite of all that damage we woke in fine spirits. Steve caught me burning a worn pair of underwear, which apparently was more than he needed to see. I got my things together and finally figured out a pattern that kept my saddlebags from melting away. Visiting is fun, but leaving is always hard. I said goodbye to Steve and his wife and headed toward Wisconsin via Duluth, and then on to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I left on a positive note, though, Steve's wife was convinced Steve needs to get a motorcycle. That was something good to think about as I headed into the wilderness alone.

Member of the AMA

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 08:13:41 am »

Cool read, can't wait for more.  8) Did you leave the camera at home?  ???
Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline Tretnine

• Prove it,
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 02:19:33 pm »
my camera only takes like 15 pictures then dies. I have a few... but they're kind of lame. I need a better one. I'll try to put up what I've got.

Member of the AMA

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:28:52 pm »
You were lucky this year.  Due to our warm summer Superior was the warmest it has been in a very long time.  Still cold but tolerable in the shallows. :D  It is nice up there and the drive through Wisconsin to the UP is also very nice.

Offline Tretnine

• Prove it,
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 09:25:42 am »
Yeah man, it was great. Lots of fun, but tolerable? Well, I don't think I hit a shallow, I went straight from a river into the lake. I thought my grapes were going to pop.

Member of the AMA

Offline Tretnine

• Prove it,
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 09:44:19 am »
Alright boys, the whole thing is up here http://behindbarsmotorcycle.blogspot.com/ I've been updating it there, sorry to neglect you boys on the forums, here is a snippet of the last page.

The next day was a powerhouse drive through the rest of Michigan, Indiana and Ohio. After the rain and the bridge I just laid down on the tank and opened the throttle. If it weren't for terrible directions from an old timer (and genuinely nice guy) just north of Indianapolis I would have made it home by day's end. Grizzled and pissed, being home sounded fantastic. All I got, though, was a hand-wrapped, single-finger-salute in the middle of Indianapolis traffic. The old guy had sent me straight through the center of the city. This was worse than the showdown in Minneapolis and even more frustrating. Trip tip #6: Never, ever let anyone in a car give you directions while on your motorcycle.

The day was cut short, and gratefully so. The evening was spent at a friends house in Ohio. They live in the westernmost remnants of Appalachian mountain terrain - a beautiful, small town, and as we sat drinking predinner beer, we saw deer wandering around up the street. After Indianapolis, serene. Pierre told me while sitting there that this was as far west as you could go before the Rockies and still have interesting terrain. This was the beginning of the end of the Midwest.

Member of the AMA