Author Topic: TAO --- The South Seattle Cafe Project  (Read 146914 times)

Offline Industry

Re: **The South Seattle CB750F Cafe project** FINISHED, new VIDEO!
« Reply #350 on: June 04, 2011, 08:37:12 pm »
AWESOME build! I can't wait to get started on mine now. Freakin' killer. Where did you find those grips?

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #351 on: June 04, 2011, 08:49:20 pm »
AWESOME build! I can't wait to get started on mine now. Freakin' killer. Where did you find those grips?

Thanks man. The grips I got from Motercycle Superstore. I can't remember the brand but a google search of skull grips should get you started.

Offline chris_holtmeier

« Reply #352 on: June 05, 2011, 05:21:22 am »
Thanks!

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #353 on: June 05, 2011, 07:15:52 am »
Looks great B.  Wish I could have stayed for the rest of the ride.

Offline Industrial Rat400f Killer

• Be careful you might get a
  • Expert
« Reply #354 on: June 05, 2011, 08:06:19 am »
I saw you guys at the Shanty but I was already in conversation with somebody and figured I'd see you guys at the Club House. The My wife forgot to turn on her gas and we ended up at the end of the line in a separate group. By the time we got to the Club House I didn't see you guys. Hope you had fun and hope to see you next weekend.

Offline Industrial Rat400f Killer

• Be careful you might get a
  • Expert
« Reply #355 on: June 05, 2011, 08:06:58 am »
I saw you guys at the Shanty but I was already in conversation with somebody and figured I'd see you guys at the Club House. The My wife forgot to turn on her gas and we ended up at the end of the line in a separate group. By the time we got to the Club House I didn't see you guys. Hope you had fun and hope to see you next weekend.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #356 on: June 05, 2011, 04:31:07 pm »
No worries, I didn't stay long at the clubhouse I needed food and water! I did see you pull over actually during the ride. That was a fun ride but hot as hell. Next weekend should be fun too.

Offline immortal

• Enthusiast
    • 1976 CB750F "Pegasus bike"
« Reply #357 on: June 13, 2011, 10:33:10 am »
Branden, did you have any problems with paint chips on your black painted parts chipping at all when bolting or assembly. I notice with mine the paint seems so soft and I learned you have to prep each area for a bolt otherwise the torque would take a big chip off.  I have painted some of my parts multiple times, its been a real pain. Did you powdercoat or spray your black parts?
Sometimes...the hard thing and the right thing are the same thing!

1976 CB750F "Pegasus Bike"

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80492.0

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #358 on: June 13, 2011, 01:37:11 pm »
95% of everything on my bike is powdercoat. I have not had any problems with chipping at all. If your using rattle can paint I know what you are talking about. It is never quite as good as powdercoating or a 2 part urethane...

Offline diminished

• off the radar
« Reply #359 on: June 13, 2011, 05:02:34 pm »
so i looked at that aluminum paint you used on your head/cylinders. jesus dude. $250 a quart? i ended up heading down to performance coating and dropping off my head/cylinder/valve cover/tappets with the thermal dispersant coating. only color option was black, but it sounded like my best choice for keeping the top end cool. you used them didnt you? and if i remember right you had some sort of problem with a tappet cover afterwords?

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #360 on: June 13, 2011, 07:49:17 pm »
Wow $250 is spendy. I did use Performance Coatings for a valve cover. I think what happened was when they media blasted it some of the media got in the threads for the tappet covers and when I went to remove them it galled them up. Pain in the ass. Make sure they know not to blast them with the covers installed!

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
Re: The South Seattle CB750 F3 Project -- Happy Independence Day
« Reply #361 on: July 04, 2011, 03:51:03 pm »
Just wanted to say Happy Independence Day. Be sure and take the time to reflect on what this country is all about!

Offline diminished

• off the radar
« Reply #362 on: July 18, 2011, 11:12:47 am »
Hey dude, quick question for ya: did you do any head porting? If so did you go local or ship it out?

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #363 on: July 18, 2011, 11:16:21 am »
Cycle X did all my head and cylinder work. I had them bore the jugs to 836, deck the mating surfaces, install all the parts, and do some mild porting.

Offline diminished

• off the radar
« Reply #364 on: July 18, 2011, 10:32:32 pm »
What does deck the mating surfaces mean? Plane them to fit together better? What did they install exactly? I'm curious, I had then bore out my cylinders to 849 and now I'm thinking some port work is on order!

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #365 on: July 18, 2011, 10:56:43 pm »
Yes basically they run a mill over the gasket mating surfaces to make sure they are true and flat. I replaced everything in the valve train except my rockers and cam towers. Some good port work is how you squeeze all the hp out of these SOHCs but its gonna cost ya to have it done right.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #366 on: September 01, 2011, 03:53:29 am »
Put on some chrome Norman Hyde bars.

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
Re: The South Seattle CB750 F3 Project -- Norman Hyde M bars installed
« Reply #367 on: September 01, 2011, 09:43:30 am »
I do like the looks of those bars better.  How do they feel?

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
Re: The South Seattle CB750 F3 Project -- Norman Hyde M bars installed
« Reply #368 on: September 01, 2011, 01:01:55 pm »
They feel way better than my clubman bars but not quite as comfy as the superbike bars. These bars look better than both though IMO so I am gonna keep them on... for now.

Here is a shot of my new "Chromex" ceramic coating on the pipes

Offline immortal

• Enthusiast
    • 1976 CB750F "Pegasus bike"
Re: The South Seattle CB750 F3 Project -- Norman Hyde M bars installed with pics
« Reply #369 on: September 08, 2011, 09:21:00 am »
Hi Branden, love the bars!

I went with the Norman Hyde bars too. I did set up the bike for clips ons but I like the "M" bars better.

Here is a link:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80492.75

I am just now working on my twin Rotors up front and just powder coated and rebuilt the original calipers. Could you please tell me what year calipers you are using. My bike is the 1976 750F, I wonder if they would be a direct fit? probably put too much effort into these old calipers perhaps I should of upgraded the more I think about it.

Your bikes looking great by the way!
Sometimes...the hard thing and the right thing are the same thing!

1976 CB750F "Pegasus Bike"

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80492.0

Offline cheapride

• Enthusiast
  • Work Hard Play Hard
Re: The South Seattle CB750 F3 Project -- Norman Hyde M bars installed with pics
« Reply #370 on: September 08, 2011, 10:08:32 am »
Hey man very nice bike.  I have a 78 f2 that I am going to be working on this winter.  I was just seeing how you liked your 836 kit.  I have one but I currently have the 41 cam like tweakin has in his bike.  I thought I read that you have the 63a.  Was that a drop in cam or did it take some work to make it fit.  How does it compare to Tweakin's bike with the 41 cam?

Thanks,
Brent

1978 cb750f Supersport

Offline hapakev

• Your Standard
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #371 on: September 08, 2011, 11:11:38 am »
Immortal- it looks to be a stock 77/78 cb750f front end.  The calipers dont transfer over to the spoked wheels.  I achieved the dual calipers with spoked wheel with a GL1000 front end.  If you want to retain the spokes, that is one way to go.  You could make that front end work with some machine work, there have been some people on this forum that have made it work this way.  If i had the 75/76, I would get a second caliper and do it that way. 
Smoking Jack
1978 CB750F(ish)

"Keep moving forward, until you can no longer move" KP

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #372 on: September 08, 2011, 12:21:52 pm »
Hi Branden, love the bars!

I went with the Norman Hyde bars too. I did set up the bike for clips ons but I like the "M" bars better.

Here is a link:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80492.75

I am just now working on my twin Rotors up front and just powder coated and rebuilt the original calipers. Could you please tell me what year calipers you are using. My bike is the 1976 750F, I wonder if they would be a direct fit? probably put too much effort into these old calipers perhaps I should of upgraded the more I think about it.

Your bikes looking great by the way!

Nice build! My calipers are stock. One of the good things about the 77-78 CB750F's is they came stock with dual disc brakes up front and a single rear disc. If you are wanting to go with dual discs I dont think its that hard you will just need to get a few extra parts. I think there may be a thread about it in the faq?

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #373 on: September 08, 2011, 12:30:42 pm »
Hey man very nice bike.  I have a 78 f2 that I am going to be working on this winter.  I was just seeing how you liked your 836 kit.  I have one but I currently have the 41 cam like tweakin has in his bike.  I thought I read that you have the 63a.  Was that a drop in cam or did it take some work to make it fit.  How does it compare to Tweakin's bike with the 41 cam?

Thanks,
Brent

Thanks for reading my build thread! I am very happy with my engine and everything runs smooth as a sewing machine and she has plenty of power for me. tweakin and I have virtually the same engine (that will soon change....) with a few differences. I have the Wiseco 836 kit and he is running the JE. We both have a WebCam 41b, and we both have the Cycle X valve kits installed. He has some APE stuff installed up there I think and I am all Cycle X. I went with the Webcam 41b because its just a drop in cam and does not need to be degreed. I originally had a 63a but it got returned only because I have none of the tooling to degree a cam plus I was a bit intimidated on doing it on my own and didn't want to break hard parts!

mrjack55

« Reply #374 on: September 08, 2011, 03:18:48 pm »
That is one AWESOME looking ride!  I really like the color scheme.  Super sweet man, just beautiful.
I put Norman Hyde M bars on my 750 k7.  I think they are way more comfortable than clubman's or clip on's.  But I'm 41, so anything is more comfortable than clubman's and clip on's.  :o

Again, great bike, very very very well done.