Author Topic: TAO --- The South Seattle Cafe Project  (Read 142587 times)

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
Re: The South Seattle CB750 Cafe project
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2010, 04:48:33 am »
I am taking the upper case to a friends house today. He has a Mig welder. We are going to weld some nuts on top of those damn broken ones and hopefully remove.

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2010, 05:50:19 am »
Keep me posted on how this turns out.  Good luck bro.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2010, 11:07:15 am »
Will do, Maybe you could stop by next time your up this way and help me pop of my valve springs real quick with your spring compressor. I need to clean the head its a mess.

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
Re: The South Seattle CB750 Cafe project- complete rebuild
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2010, 11:34:09 am »
Started to polish the controls yesterday. I got most of it done on a buffing wheel on a floor grinder. I need to finish it up with my dremel to get all the nooks I couldn't reach. I had to polish out a knick I made when the buffer grabbed the piece from my hand and threw it on the floor. ooops. I also ordered my first part, a replacement final drive and bearing retainer for $12.99. Score!

Damn that polishing looks good! What color polish are you using? I've been using brown tripoli but my parts aren't coming out nearly as purdy as yours. I'm using a 6" bench grinder with a cloth wheel, that's all I have access to.
"Just because you flush a butt-load of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Step-Father the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 Delux "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2010, 04:30:33 pm »
Thanks Duanob, They probably look better on camera than in person. I just used a cloth wheel and some aluminum polish I had on hand called Met-All Aluminum Polish. The thing is, after all my hard work I am probably gonna end up powdercoating them all black.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2010, 04:38:19 pm »
Ok I had success on removing the studs but they did not give up without a fight. We first tried welding nuts on top but kept breaking the welds. After a few unsuccsessful attempts and breaking the studs nearly flush with the case we decided to drill some holes and try an easy out. Well the easy out didn't work so we tried welding nuts one more time and filling the holes with the weld. Well it worked! Man what a relief it was to feel those bastards finally break loose. In the process of removing them I nicked the gasket surface, does anyone think I can still use these without any leaks?

The worst one. Think I am OK?

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2010, 05:48:41 pm »
Nice work Branden.  I think the surface will be fine,  Worse comes to worse you can use a little liquid gasket, but I don't think you will need it.  I am not sure if I will be up your way for a couple weeks, work has been busy as hell.  You are more than welcome to come down here if you need any tools before then, just give me a call.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2010, 08:24:20 am »
Well I got a ton more work done on the engine. I got the pistons, cylinders ,and the head all blasted with plastic media. I think everything looks to be in great shape. I REALLY want a 836 kit but I am thinking I might get away with just a hone and new rings. The 600 bones just for the kit could be used for the valve work. I am gonna send out the case, engine covers, oil tank, battery tray, fork lowers, fender, and a few other small pieces for powder this week. I also ordered new primary chains, cam chain, HD studs and nuts, gasket kit, cam chain roller assy, and a primary chain tensioner from dynoman. Great service from him. Shipped out like 2-3 hours after I ordered it! So once my parts arrive and I get my powdercoat items back I will finally be ready to start putting a few things back together. This will be a nice change from all the cleaning and inspecting I have been doing. So here are a few shots of my freshly blasted top end.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 09:22:14 am by BWJ »

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2010, 08:30:41 am »

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 09:22:55 am by BWJ »

Offline rickmoore24

• Be led by your dreams, not pushed by your problems.
  • Hot Shot
  • I <3 SOHC4's
    • Rosenbard Films
Re: The South Seattle CB750 Cafe project (10-13-10 new pics!)
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2010, 12:03:40 pm »
that looks great. gotta do that on the next project. :)
1972 CB750 K2 (Daily Runner)
1972 CB750 K2 (Sold)
1973 CB750 K3 (Hardtail 836cc)
1998 CBR F3 - R.I.P., went down on the 101 in Calabasas, Ca.
1995 EG6

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2010, 10:47:55 am »
Looking Great man!

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2010, 05:50:25 pm »
Thanks! I can't wait to get the frame kit installed and the frame powdercoated. I am thinking once the bottom end is put together I will install it to avoid wrestling with a complete engine.

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2010, 05:55:34 pm »
Great plan, thats what I did.  Looks good.

Thanks! I can't wait to get the frame kit installed and the frame powdercoated. I am thinking once the bottom end is put together I will install it to avoid wrestling with a complete engine.

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2010, 01:00:25 pm »
Excellent Idea! Can't wait to see it going in!!

Offline going4speed

• Enthusiast
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2010, 07:54:07 am »
Fantastic work!!

What colors are you planning for powder coat?

Well I got a ton more work done on the engine. I got the pistons, cylinders ,and the head all blasted with plastic media. I think everything looks to be in great shape. I REALLY want a 836 kit but I am thinking I might get away with just a hone and new rings. The 600 bones just for the kit could be used for the valve work. I am gonna send out the case, engine covers, oil tank, battery tray, fork lowers, fender, and a few other small pieces for powder this week. I also ordered new primary chains, cam chain, HD studs and nuts, gasket kit, cam chain roller assy, and a primary chain tensioner from dynoman. Great service from him. Shipped out like 2-3 hours after I ordered it! So once my parts arrive and I get my powdercoat items back I will finally be ready to start putting a few things back together. This will be a nice change from all the cleaning and inspecting I have been doing. So here are a few shots of my freshly blasted top end.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2010, 08:37:12 am »
Thanks! As far as colors, Black is the flavor of the day.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2010, 10:09:01 pm »
Well, my project has hit a bump in the road. My powdercoater has had some personal issues so my parts (including my engine cases) are still awaiting powder. I was hoping to get the lower end buttoned up but it looks like I am going to have to wait on that project. Thanks to a couple very generous forum members I should have some custom guage face decals in my hands very soon. I managed to get my tach and speedo housings all painted up and they turned out great. I am thinking my guages will look pretty sweet when its all said and done. I also started working on the main wire harness. I completely unwrapped it for inspection and it looks to be in great shape. The front needs some minor repair work (new plug and a few bullet connectors) but nothing major. I need to decide if I am going to use any idiot lights or not. I am thinking it might be handy to have a neutral light. If anyone wants to chime in on why I may regret deleting my idiot lights please let me know. I recieved my Gordon Frame kit from Mr. Nut so the frame is getting wacked tomorrow. I will try my best to photograph and document the install. I also found out my Dad can do the valve work for me. I didn't even think to ask him. He is a GM mechanic at a dealership with access to all the tools for the job. So just need to order parts and ship them to him. One more piece to the puzzle solved!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 10:47:53 pm by BWJ »

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
Re: The South Seattle 1978 CB750F Cafe project
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2010, 10:52:05 pm »
My post above reminded me of this great movie!

« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 10:55:52 pm by BWJ »

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2010, 04:21:10 pm »
OK, here are some pictures of my Gordon Frame Kit install. I got everything mocked up and I just need to get it welded now. The install is pretty straight forward thanks to HedNut's great instructions. The kit is well designed and the threaded portion up front gives you some room to play with if your cuts aren't perfect. I made the mistake of assuming everything on the frame was square, plumb and perfect but thats just not the case. I got everything lined up nice and straight but used my eyes a bit more than my measuring tape.

Everything all laid out

Forward section measured up

Aft section measured up

Center section measured up

Center section cut and drilled

Center section with the plate on the outside

Center section with the plate on the inside, I am gonna with this configuration.

Marked my cuts with a pipe cutter. This did not go well because my cutter is a piece of sh*t. I made my cuts with a hacksaw, then used my grinder to remove the paint for welding and clean everything up. I used my dremel with a sanding drum to clean the inside of my frame for a perfect fit.

Offline rickmoore24

• Be led by your dreams, not pushed by your problems.
  • Hot Shot
  • I <3 SOHC4's
    • Rosenbard Films
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2010, 07:03:07 pm »
thats sweet. nice job on the install.
1972 CB750 K2 (Daily Runner)
1972 CB750 K2 (Sold)
1973 CB750 K3 (Hardtail 836cc)
1998 CBR F3 - R.I.P., went down on the 101 in Calabasas, Ca.
1995 EG6

Offline wookie

• Enthusiast
  • I would get up if i knew i fell
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2010, 07:32:18 pm »
Well, my project has hit a bump in the road. My powdercoater has had some personal issues so my parts (including my engine cases) are still awaiting powder. I was hoping to get the lower end buttoned up but it looks like I am going to have to wait on that project. Thanks to a couple very generous forum members I should have some custom guage face decals in my hands very soon. I managed to get my tach and speedo housings all painted up and they turned out great. I am thinking my guages will look pretty sweet when its all said and done. I also started working on the main wire harness. I completely unwrapped it for inspection and it looks to be in great shape. The front needs some minor repair work (new plug and a few bullet connectors) but nothing major. I need to decide if I am going to use any idiot lights or not. I am thinking it might be handy to have a neutral light. If anyone wants to chime in on why I may regret deleting my idiot lights please let me know. I recieved my Gordon Frame kit from Mr. Nut so the frame is getting wacked tomorrow. I will try my best to photograph and document the install. I also found out my Dad can do the valve work for me. I didn't even think to ask him. He is a GM mechanic at a dealership with access to all the tools for the job. So just need to order parts and ship them to him. One more piece to the puzzle solved!

I figured i needed mine and accomodated the gauge bracket to accept three aftermarket lights.  Oil signal and neutral.  The oil light is second to a good pressure gauge.  I had to disconnect my signal indicator...., long story, and as far as my neutral light,  i think the switch is shorting out, so it's unreliable at best.
I'm thinking i can live without them.

Good start, go 836!

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2010, 07:43:06 pm »
Thanks for the input cbcafe, thats some positive reassurance fo sure!

Offline HedNut

• Expert
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2010, 10:03:16 am »
WOW BWJ!!  You made that kit look good!... great job on the install and pictures... looking slick man!!
PS.... I must have confused people with my exploded assembly of the frame kit in the instructions.... but the flat bars holding the TRIANGULATION section together are meant to go "in behind" like you have decided to install them (2nd picture)....it doesn't make much of a difference in strength... but it looks better and keeps them out of the way.

Again! Great stuff here man!  Looking forward to the progress!!!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2010, 07:48:14 am »
Nice detailed post on the frame kit. I am on the list to purchase a kit for my new K7 project bike.
Looks to me like there are 8 spots that need to be welded?

Hednut - do you see an issue with welding this with all electrics still on bike? [I will have the battery out]

Thanks.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2010, 08:19:52 am »
Looks great.  Your doing a much better job documenting the build than I did.