Author Topic: TAO --- The South Seattle Cafe Project  (Read 141863 times)

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
TAO --- The South Seattle Cafe Project
« on: September 11, 2010, 05:57:16 pm »

The Chronicles of T.A.O.
The Annoying Orange
1978 Honda CB750 F3 SS

I brought home my first motorcycle restoration project today. A 1978 CB750F3 Super Sport. The bike is in excellent shape and once I started tearing into her I was pleased to find the frame virtually rust free. My plan for the bike is to go the cafe route. I want to give it the blacked out look with some black tins and a burnt metallic orange racing stripe, and subtle chrome/polished bits here and there. I have a pretty good idea of what I want but the details will get sorted as the project moves forward. I don't have a timeline for this build but I will do what I can as time and budget allows. I am a bit intimidated by the project but I am confident in my skills as a mechanic that I can get it done. I have never rebuilt an engine or tore one down so this will be an adventure for sure. I would appreciate any input and suggestions as I can use all the help I can get. Here are some pics of Day 1.

At PO's house

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 06:27:00 pm by brandEn »

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
Re: the South Seattle CB750F3 project
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 06:04:44 pm »
Once I got it home the tools came out and parts started getting removed. I took some pictures to reference for when it starts going back together. I think I will concentrate on getting the frame, swingarm, suspension, wheels, and brakes done first. Then I will start on the engine. I don't want to get to many things going at once.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 06:08:29 pm »
Actually the first thing on my to do list is to get all the old crappy fuel out of the tank. Anybody have any tips on how to get that last few ounces out? I also need to clean the innards as there is a bit of rust in there.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 06:45:37 pm »
Nice find! Your off to a good start. Did it run at all?

Good idea, work on 1 "system" at a time. Don't be intimidated, but when you feel that way, stand back, ask questions and search the forum here. There is a lot of info here, guys have all done it all before!

Good Luck.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 06:49:51 pm »
Thanks for the encouragment! My initial intentions were to get it home and running. I am sure it just needed some fresh gas, a carb clean, and a new battery. Once I started taking the carbs out for the clean I just kept yardin crap out. I plan on going through everything so I wasn't to worried if it ran or not.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 07:01:38 pm »
Plus, taking it apart is fun! And the best way to clean everything.

I pulled my petcock off to get all the old fuel out of the tank.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 07:08:20 pm »
Yea I pulled the petcock but still have some fuel that doesn't want to come out.

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 06:59:28 am »
Great find, already with dyna coils and ignition.  Looks pretty clean.  I got your pm, feel free to contact me when ever you have any questions. 

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 09:10:14 am »
Great find, already with dyna coils and ignition.  Looks pretty clean.  I got your pm, feel free to contact me when ever you have any questions. 

Alright cool, It won't take long and your pm box will be full of my questions...lol

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 03:14:03 pm »
Spent the day ripping and tearing again. Got the frame totally stripped down and the engine out. I decided to break into it just to see what I had going on inside. I have a few decisions to make. I need to decide if I want to bore the jugs for an 836 kit or not. The walls are in good shape so we shall see when I get to that point. It looks like a valve job is in my future. Looks like I need to replace the cam tensioner as well. The plastic is starting to deteriorate. The head gasket was leaking pretty good and I found some corrosion on a couple of the head bolts. I took a bunch of pictures so for those of you that have been here before please chime in on what you think about the condition of everything. Do I need to split the cases and inspect the transmission? Also what about the clutch? Does the cam chain need replacing with 32000 miles on it? Thanks for any tips.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 03:17:44 pm »
I forgot to mention that I have my first mystery part. This was on the floor and I am not sure where it goes...

Offline 77cafe750

• Hot Shot
Re: The South Seattle CB750 Cafe project- complete rebuild
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 03:24:36 pm »
goes on the back of the swingarm under the adjusters and behind the axle  ;) ;D
live like an outlaw and love like an angel
crash
blacked out gauges rock
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67710.0

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 03:25:21 pm »
That is the spacer block for the chain adjustment / rear wheel alignment.

EDIT:  Beat me to it  ;D
'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 03:31:02 pm »
Thanks guys!

Offline 77cafe750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 05:36:19 pm »
yes i finally beat someone to the point sorry for the thread jack please carrry on as normal  ;D ;)
live like an outlaw and love like an angel
crash
blacked out gauges rock
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67710.0

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 06:46:01 pm »
I forgot to mention that I have my first mystery part. This was on the floor and I am not sure where it goes...

It's a "stopper", click here to see exactly where it goes: [#7]
http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=125310&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1978&fveh=2986

You may want to bookmark this website, it shows all parts and names.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 10:29:21 am »
So I spent a couple hours bagging and tagging all my parts and breaking everything down for powdercoat. I think I may have made a big mistake though. I took apart my handlebar switches. I mean competely removed the wires and all. I just assumed I could buy some replacement switches. Well I guess not. My switches worked fine, but wanted to replace all the internals just because they were looking pretty snotty. I have searched the forum for any solutions or replacement parts. I have read about people using XS650 swithches, but I would prefer to use the Honda ones. Anybody have any tips? Source for parts?

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 03:44:44 pm »
Well I just wanted to give a public shout out to forum member "tweakin" aka Tige. This dude has been answering a shi!t ton of my questions and pointing me in the direction of vendors both local and online. Thanks Bro!

As for my project, I have spent the week researching parts for my brakes, suspension, and wheels. I took apart the calipers and fought with all 3 pistons. Of course after ruining them I read about a nice easy way to pop them out with a grease gun. Just my luck. So now I need to buy some new caliper pistons and they are not cheap. My rear master was/is in a sorry state. It is rebuildable but man was it nasty. I am slowly learning how hard it is to source some new parts. I was going to replace my rear brake reservoir but they are not to be had.

I got the old plastic bushings out of my swingarm and popped out the shock bushings. I need to decide If I want to splurge on Hondamans rebuild service or go the DIY route with some bronze bushings. I would prefer to use Hondaman as it seems the best option.

This weekend I want to get the forks broke down and the wheels apart.
Pics to follow. A build thread is no fun without pictures!

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 03:46:47 pm by BWJ »

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 08:14:39 pm »
Ok here are a couple pics

One of the calipers. They cleaned up good. Just need some powdercoat and parts.

Got the wheel tore down as far as I could with what I have. I need to take them to a shop to have the tires removed and bearings pressed out.

Got the forks tore down. Need some powdercoat, progressive springs, seals ,and oil

Definately needed some new fork oil. This stuff must of been the original oil

Had a buggered up thread on the end of the forks. Gonna have to replace that

The box of stuff ready for powdercoat, it seems to grow everyday. My powdercoater is gonna be busy!

Offline FrankenFrankenstuff

• Master
    • FrankenBike Stuff Store
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 08:17:45 pm »

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 08:18:57 pm »
This is my bike after week one. I feel good about the amount of progress I have made.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 08:21:37 pm »
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=74022.msg822417#msg822417
Just saw your teardown. I have covers.

Thanks, I saw those in the sales thread. I plan on getting a set and possibly some smoked engine covers of yours.

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 08:37:55 am »
Thanks for the shout out... but you don't have to do that.  I really like helping others out with bike builds.  Don't order the new brake pistons until i look through my parts, I think I have some new ones sitting there.  If I do I will make you a screaming deal on them.

Tear down is looking great bro.

Offline rickmoore24

• Be led by your dreams, not pushed by your problems.
  • Hot Shot
  • I <3 SOHC4's
    • Rosenbard Films
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 08:49:38 am »
Great looking project, it would have been nice to run the bike through the grears before the teardown to assess the gearbox and tranny. Then you would know for sure whether or not youd need to split the lower case. Either way, shes looking great! Awesome start, can't wait to see her dialed in. Good luck!!

Rick
1972 CB750 K2 (Daily Runner)
1972 CB750 K2 (Sold)
1973 CB750 K3 (Hardtail 836cc)
1998 CBR F3 - R.I.P., went down on the 101 in Calabasas, Ca.
1995 EG6

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 08:40:54 pm »
Thanks Rick! I have been planning on splitting the cases from the beginning just to poke around in there and see if the bearings and chains are ok so no biggie.

Well did some more cleaning today. Got the frame degreased and cut off a few of the tabs on the tail section I won't need. I also cleaned/degreased the rest of the parts and got them all tagged and bagged. Not all went well though. I decided to try and get the wheel bearings out again. I managed to get them all out but I need a new final drive and bearing lock nut. For some reason the rear drive and the nut got cross threaded on removal and the threads are screwed. I don't think the wheel bearings have ever been changed because there was only one set of dimples so maybe they just got galled after so many years of neglect. So if anyone has a final drive I really need one!