Author Topic: CB550 idle screw differences  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Frostyboy

• Retired: Never was an
  • Expert
  • Circa 1951
CB550 idle screw differences
« on: September 30, 2010, 12:25:47 am »
I have a '76 550F1. TT & Delta Rider told me ages ago the number on my carbs are listed for a 500.

I can't find it for now, but I know I've read another post with a 550 guy with exactly the same situation.

I've bought 2 sets of kits for the carbs. One turns out to be 550K & the other for 550F1.

The replacement idle screws in the kits are different. The screws in the 'K' kit are cross drilled near the tip & the 'F1' kit has solid screws.

The originals in my carbs are drilled. Can anyone explain the purpose of the drilling & what affect using one or the other will have?

I've searched & searched but without luck nor can I find the answer in FAQs. Thanx for ya help in advance.
Last year I joined a support group for procrastinators.
We haven't met yet.
[CB550F1]

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
Re: CB550 idle screw differences
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 05:53:20 am »
Frosty, congrats with your '76 550F1. Overhere, the early 550Fs were tested the most powerful of the 500/550 series. You must realise that up till then Honda only had to equip and set their carbs to create maximum performance and best driveability.
With the later 550K3 and 550F2 Honda messed up, to meet anti-pollution requirements in the USA and these models were reviewed accordingly here in Europe.
If yours has a 4-1, I see no reason why you shouldn't set the carbs like a 550F, even when they're stamped 627B. You can find data on p. 165 in the Honda Workshop Manual. I'm pretty sure the only differences between the 627B and 069A carbs are in the (removable) parts and their setting.
Can't really answer your question on the the air screws. All I know is, the 550F's had the solid tips, the 500 and 550K's had the drilled ones.
BTW, I'm still in the proces of trying to make sense of the confusing data I've seen in a spec booklet by Honda America Motor Company 1977. I don't know how to judge these carburetor settings as I don't know when and where what anti-pollution laws... I mean, was this just a Californian thing or was it federal?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 05:56:46 am by Deltarider »
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline Frostyboy

• Retired: Never was an
  • Expert
  • Circa 1951
Re: CB550 idle screw differences
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 10:29:22 pm »
Can't really answer your question on the the air screws. All I know is, the 550F's had the solid tips, the 500 and 550K's had the drilled ones.

Cheers for that, I'll use the solid tipped ones that came in the F1 kits.
I'll be fitting a foam filter into the standard air box & have jacked the needles to the 2nd groove from the bottom & the 98 mains.
I figure it'll be better to start off on the rich side & move back if I have to. I'll post results when this thing finally fires up again after a 5-6 year lay off.  :)
Last year I joined a support group for procrastinators.
We haven't met yet.
[CB550F1]