Author Topic: My 1975 CB550F shed find cafe build with Benjies parts  (Read 1616 times)

Offline ridered67

My 1975 CB550F shed find cafe build with Benjies parts
« on: October 03, 2010, 06:00:03 am »
    So about two weeks ago a good friend of mine asks me if I know anyone that would want to buy a motorcycle that his dad was selling. ;D Gee, who do I know that would want to buy an old non running motorcycle that has more rust than paint? Ha  I started thinking in my head what I would have to do in the garage to fit a new bike, and after I devised a quick plan on how I would store the Honda while I was tearing it down I told my friend that I would take it.  I asked him what kind of condition it was in and he told me that it only had 13,000 miles but it has not run in over 20 years. (Oh Boy)  My friend went on to say that his dad was the original owner since new :D, but the last time he was home at his dads house he went to move the Honda and he heard alot of gas still sloshing around in th tank :o.  I agreed on a price of $300 without seeing the bike and off I went to pick it up with my trailer.

I got the bike home and had it torn apart in a few hours.

My plan is to do a Benjies Cafe build (Seat, tank, clip ons, rearsets, exhaust).

Does anyone have a suggestions on where I can pick up parts for this bike? (Bearings, gaskets etc)

This is my first post so please excuse me while I get the picture size figured out.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 06:27:48 am by ridered67 »

oohai

Re: My 1975 CB550F shed find cafe build with Benjies parts
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 08:08:32 am »
nice find for $300.

Offline 750K8 Kev

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 09:21:53 am »

Offline joehardy

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 03:22:59 pm »
Check out your local Honda dealer- many have online parts fiche. Not always the lowest price but you can often pick up the parts at the dealer with no delivery fees. I've been surprised at some of the parts they can get for my 73 CB750- all genuine Honda too. Good luck and I hate you. ;)

Offline Goofaroo

• general nuisance
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 07:08:07 am »
That looks like a great start for $300. One source for parts that I tend to use a lot is http://www.servicehonda.com/  .   

Looking at the picture it appears that your forks may be "modified" by a front end impact. If so you can get new tubes pretty reasonable from here  http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/

It could just be an optical illusion but it sure looks like you have some fork damage.

Offline FrankenFrankenstuff

• Master
    • FrankenBike Stuff Store
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 07:20:58 am »
Soooo. How much would you like for the stock exhaust? Maybe I can trade some "cafe" parts with you.