Author Topic: CB750 Cylinder Head Valve Angles  (Read 11522 times)

Offline BMHS

CB750 Cylinder Head Valve Angles
« on: October 04, 2010, 05:23:45 pm »
Guys,
I'm in the process of machining a fixture to mount a CB750 cylinder head on my mill to machine the valve seats with 3D profile seat tooling. I measured the intake guide angle at 27 degrees and the exhaust guide at 29 degrees. Does anyone out there disagree with these numbers. I have checked a 77 K and a 78 F2 head, and they semed to be the same. I would hate to do the tooling plate twice.
Any help is appreciated.
Brian

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
Re: CB750 Cylinder Head Valve Angles
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 05:26:38 pm »
Send a PM to head guru MRieck. If he doesn't know then no one will.... ;)

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?action=profile;u=49

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 01:44:35 am »
Brian, the job you are undertaking requires an expert machinist, why do you need a second opinion on your ability to measure the valve angles ? Sorry if this sounds like disbelief but I have read all your posts and it sounds like you shouldn't be asking this question or am I missing something ?

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 10:29:26 am »
Brian, the job you are undertaking requires an expert machinist, why do you need a second opinion on your ability to measure the valve angles ? Sorry if this sounds like disbelief but I have read all your posts and it sounds like you shouldn't be asking this question or am I missing something ?

Sam. ;)
wouldnt trust any claimed figures either, you should measure or more exactly, zero in till you get matching angle with a dial gauge. the 3D seat machine i saw in a show had screw controlled degree table to set the head up, would borrow such for the job. quicker :)

TG

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 10:48:39 am »
i thought the f2 had a different exhaust valve angle [ to fit a larger valve in ] , this is why the valve guides wear so quickly

Online Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 12:36:12 pm »
i thought the f2 had a different exhaust valve angle [ to fit a larger valve in ] , this is why the valve guides wear so quickly

+1

Are you positive about your ID of the heads? The K should have 392 on the top fin intake side by #3. The F2/F3 should have
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline BMHS

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 06:08:59 pm »
Guys,
I rarely do this, because I perfer my work to speak for me, but maybe it's needed:
I an old guy, 63 years young
* I started FlowRite Systems in 1976, and for 12 years it was one of the leading cylinder head shops in the nation. We specialized in short track / NASCAR small block heads, and AMA SuperBike 1000 cc engine heads. I have done port / flow work for American Honda Racing, Yamaha USA Racing, and countless private AMA SuperBike racers. My heads hold approximately 8 land speed records at Bonneville including having done the heads on Don Vesco's land speed record Kawasaki streamliner. I also own the record for the worlds fastest Whizzer, 63 MPH.
*I have designed from scratch DFX Cosworth 4 valve replacement heads for the INDY DFW engine.
* I was the US Engine Manager for the Jaguar World Endurance team, We won Daytona 24, LeMans 24, the IMSA Championship, and the World Championship.
* I designed & built Alan Kulwicki's NASCAR engines.
* I have worked for Mercury Marine, Briggs & Stratton, and Kohler Engines, where I design & test industrial engines today. All the valve seat angles & contours at Kohler have been designed by myself or with my guidance.

I learned over 40 years ago to ask questions, and to listen to others that may have information that maybe new to me. The way you win world championships is to listen, & to not assume that you have all the knowledge, & to try to be humble.
Brian

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 06:59:58 pm »
nice CV. I'm all ears on this.
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 08:39:29 pm »
Brian,

Nice resume! Congratulations on all the accomplishments. We are generally used to guys with limited/varying degrees of knowledge and welcome your expertise to our insanity. Thanks for explaining. I try not to be judgemental and carefully attempt to base responses on what is written. I'm not an expert either and I have never had a F2/F3 head so I can not directly speak of them other than the historical writings of their problems with premature valve guide wear. This was allegedly due to a changed valve angle that was necessary to use larger valves in BOTH the intake and exhaust while still using the same basic cam, cam towers and rocker arms. This is why I inquired about your 2 heads.

Now that I've said all that I'd refer you to 2 guys that have worked with these heads since the beginning: MRieck (Mike Rieck) and Big Jay of APE fame. I'd bet either of these 2 guys will provide the info you need.

Hang around. It'll be good to have you on board! Never enough of the "older" guys with the experience to be found.

Jerry   
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline BMHS

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 09:22:37 pm »
Honestly,
I try to keep my background to myself. Nobody wants a heavy weight around, only to find out that with these engines, he's still learning. All engines are basically the same, but it's all the little scrap that one needs to pick up, to keep these old engines alive. I'm all ear's. I did email Mike last night, he has not gotten back yet. I plan to go completely through the valve train geometry, making sure that the rocker arm contact point is dead center on the valve stem at mid lift. If it's not, the guides will wear. All this is for a 836cc kitted engine that I'm doing this winter, with a Weber cam to my specs, 102 IN C/L & 110 EX C/L, mild lift, new 29 CR's, my exhaust, etc. I did get 12 special cylinder sleeves made up to improve the wall thickness of the 836 bored cylinders. They are way too thin at the bottom, where they are unsupported by the aluminum casting. I could distort a test sleeve bored to spec with my hands. More on that later.
Brian

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 09:52:58 pm »

I'd refer you to 2 guys that have worked with these heads since the beginning: MRieck (Mike Rieck) and Big Jay of APE fame. I'd bet either of these 2 guys will provide the info you need.

Jerry    

Actually the fact that we use a Serdi, we don't know the angle because the table is fully adjustable and the initial setting is done with a small bubble level attached to the carbide pilot that is in the guide. That gets it very close, then the full air float on the Serdi head takes over and puts it dead on.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 09:55:40 pm by Big Jay »

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Stop Global Tilting now!
    • Moto Northwest
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 11:10:18 pm »
Honestly,
I try to keep my background to myself. Nobody wants a heavy weight around, only to find out that with these engines, he's still learning. All engines are basically the same, but it's all the little scrap that one needs to pick up, to keep these old engines alive. I'm all ear's. I did email Mike last night, he has not gotten back yet. I plan to go completely through the valve train geometry, making sure that the rocker arm contact point is dead center on the valve stem at mid lift. If it's not, the guides will wear. All this is for a 836cc kitted engine that I'm doing this winter, with a Weber cam to my specs, 102 IN C/L & 110 EX C/L, mild lift, new 29 CR's, my exhaust, etc. I did get 12 special cylinder sleeves made up to improve the wall thickness of the 836 bored cylinders. They are way too thin at the bottom, where they are unsupported by the aluminum casting. I could distort a test sleeve bored to spec with my hands. More on that later.
Brian

Mike is super busy right now, far as I can tell. If he has the info (or doesn't, either way), I'm sure he'll get back to you ASAP.

Hello. :)
No.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 12:03:32 am »

I'd refer you to 2 guys that have worked with these heads since the beginning: MRieck (Mike Rieck) and Big Jay of APE fame. I'd bet either of these 2 guys will provide the info you need.

Jerry    

Actually the fact that we use a Serdi, we don't know the angle because the table is fully adjustable and the initial setting is done with a small bubble level attached to the carbide pilot that is in the guide. That gets it very close, then the full air float on the Serdi head takes over and puts it dead on.

Jay, have you seen these new cnc seat cutters where the tip of the tool can move axially according to a CAD program? fully blended seats (or whatever profile) in something like 20 seconds.... cant remember the name of the company making them

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 07:08:37 am »
Brian, please forgive me for my little ploy forcing you to come clean on who you were. ::)
I did say that I had read all your posts (and many more on other forums) and there is plenty of room on this forum for another BIG GUN. 8)
If you look back to what Jerry Griffin said, "I try not to be judgemental and carefully attempt to base responses on what is written". On the other hand, I myself try to get a better understanding of new posters by reading between the lines and checking out earlier post from the poster.
A few months back, we had a poster asking what seemed to me like a silly question, and me knowing that the guy knew or should have known what he was talking about was not carefull enough with my reply and it looked like I was having a go at him, It got sorted and the guy turned out (as I expected) to be a current factory race team technician.
At times I really do forget what brought me to this forum, I had built a multi championship winning/record breaking CR750 and when it started to get pushed, turned to the internet looking for parts to make it faster. I had been tuning and racing a particular type of Honda for years but soon found out how little I knew about the CR I had built.
Here's hoping you find all the answers to your questions in here. :)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 03:35:53 pm »
Brian,

Nice resume! Congratulations on all the accomplishments. We are generally used to guys with limited/varying degrees of knowledge and welcome your expertise to our insanity. Thanks for explaining. I try not to be judgemental and carefully attempt to base responses on what is written. I'm not an expert either and I have never had a F2/F3 head so I can not directly speak of them other than the historical writings of their problems with premature valve guide wear. This was allegedly due to a changed valve angle that was necessary to use larger valves in BOTH the intake and exhaust while still using the same basic cam, cam towers and rocker arms. This is why I inquired about your 2 heads.

Now that I've said all that I'd refer you to 2 guys that have worked with these heads since the beginning: MRieck (Mike Rieck) and Big Jay of APE fame. I'd bet either of these 2 guys will provide the info you need.

Think about it...both K head and F2 head have the same rocker arm towers and same rocker arms....how would a different valve angle work in the F2 head? ie: how would valve tip match the adjuster screw as rocker arm moved thru it's travel range?

KOS

Hang around. It'll be good to have you on board! Never enough of the "older" guys with the experience to be found.

Jerry   
220...221, whatever it takes.

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 03:51:25 pm »
27 and 29

KOS

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 06:22:53 pm »
Welcome aboard.More on that exhaust please. Nice resume.......we like stories and pics! ;D,Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 06:38:38 pm »

Jerry    

Jay, have you seen these new cnc seat cutters where the tip of the tool can move axially according to a CAD program? fully blended seats (or whatever profile) in something like 20 seconds.... cant remember the name of the company making them

The machine that is the one to have now is Newmen. It uses live pilots not dead ones like Serdi and Sunnen use. Live pilots spin inside guide on Newmen. Dead pilots stick in guide and a from cutting tool cuts seats, throats, etc all at once.

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 10:08:19 pm »
Serdi pilots spin in the guide. Valve seat grinders, Neway cutters, etc. use a dead pilot.  The only advantage to the Newen is the ability to program a custom seat cut instead of having to have a special cutter made. But after you have all the custom cutters, there is not much of an advantage.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:12:27 pm by Big Jay »

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 11:06:05 pm »
ok, so now to the million dollar question, whats best for our sohc's, fully blended or multi angle?

:)

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 08:54:19 am »
Serdi pilots spin in the guide. Valve seat grinders, Neway cutters, etc. use a dead pilot.  The only advantage to the Newen is the ability to program a custom seat cut instead of having to have a special cutter made. But after you have all the custom cutters, there is not much of an advantage.

Big Jay is correct....Serdi is live. My bad...too much work to doehere in shop not enough time taken writting my response. I stand corrected.

Sorry about that.

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 12:47:32 pm »
ok, so now to the million dollar question, whats best for our sohc's, fully blended or multi angle?

:)

We use a full radius under the 45 for nearly all high performance applications. We have some 30/45/60 cutters we use on some totally stock rebuilds and some Harleys®

Offline BMHS

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2010, 09:17:39 am »
I checked a F2 head the other night, and the valve angles are the same @ 27 & 29. The real difference between the heads is that Honda lowered the valve/seats approximately 1.5mm to 2mm, so that the valves would clear each other during overlap. That also causes the chamber to have more volume. Since this engine will be a Wiseco 836 kitted engine with my new thicker bottom sleeves, I'm checking the cc's of both heads to calculate the effects on the compression ratio. I want it to be 10.5/1 when I'm done. I already know that it will take a deck surface milling to normalize the cc's & compression ratio.
One of the guys posting asked about the exhaust system, so I have attached a few photo's.
Brian

Offline BMHS

Re: CB750 Cylinder Head Valve Angles, EXHAUST PHOTO
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2010, 09:33:08 am »
Guy's, one of the photo's that I sent did not go through. Here it is.
Brian

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2010, 09:35:52 am »
I checked a F2 head the other night, and the valve angles are the same @ 27 & 29. The real difference between the heads is that Honda lowered the valve/seats approximately 1.5mm to 2mm, so that the valves would clear each other during overlap. That also causes the chamber to have more volume. Since this engine will be a Wiseco 836 kitted engine with my new thicker bottom sleeves, I'm checking the cc's of both heads to calculate the effects on the compression ratio. I want it to be 10.5/1 when I'm done. I already know that it will take a deck surface milling to normalize the cc's & compression ratio.
One of the guys posting asked about the exhaust system, so I have attached a few photo's.
Brian
That's interesting Brian. I was told by a regional Honda service rep (when the bike came out) that the exhaust angle was different by a degree or 2. ??? Well...so much for that.  ::)
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2010, 09:16:54 pm »
Myth Busters at work! That's good info.