Author Topic: Planning my first cross country ride  (Read 8812 times)

Offline mgbgt89

• Hot Shot
Planning my first cross country ride
« on: October 17, 2010, 03:19:10 pm »
I recently found out that i will be getting laid off at the end of the month. I'm planning on making the best of unemployment by riding my 350F from coast to coast. I've been working up to this ride all year. I rode it to road america this year, and that got me hooked on distance riding. Shortly after getting back from road america, I took a 10 day, 3000 mile trip exploring the northeast and parts of Canada. After those mostly trouble-free miles, I'm convinced me, and my trusty 350 are ready for a longer ride. I may not have another chance to do this in my lifetime, so i'm going to jump at this opportunity.

I'm planning on pretty much riding the southern border of the US. I've been looking up average temps for all the areas i plan on hitting, and nothing seems too bad really. This trip will be done in November, December, and possibly into January. I've got excellent cold weather gear, I can't imagine anywhere I'll be will get as cold as it does when i'm still riding back home in Indiana.

I want to see things I've never seen before. I've never been to Key West, so that is definitely one of my goals. I want to explore the southwest since i was 5 years old the last time i was there. I've been to parts of California, but never on a motorcycle. I'm toying with the idea of riding the Baja peninsula, but i think that's probably more risk than i really need to take.

I'll be taking spare points, condensers, enough tools to do anything short of an engine overhaul, spare tubes, air pump, chain, fuses, wires, and chain lube. The only times i have ever broken down were flat tires, blown fuses, and once in the middle of the night riding through a monsoon when water seeped through the points cover and it started missing out.

Am i stupid for thinking i can ride across the country in the beginning of winter? The only thing i'm worried about is the leg from Texas to California. Are there going to be any mountain passes where i could potentially be snowed in?

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: Planning my first cross country ride
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 03:53:09 pm »
I think this is a great idea! Personally, I would rather be on a bigger [than 350] bike, but you'll be ok.

Definately do Key West, it is awesome [I was there last year]. And since you'll be in the area, go to S. Miami Beach too.

I'm in Texas and have done the drive to Cali from here, but not on a bike.
There are no passes to be concerned about. It could snow, but it won't last.
It's a long ride and frankly not that great, but at that time of year, you really don't have a choice.

I can give you more info about Texas if you let me know what your interests are.

Good Luck!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 04:04:48 pm »
If you can get your hands on the latest issue of the VJMC mag. there'a a trip article about a rider who went from Florida to Michigan and back on a 350 twin!! Good luck with the trip, sounds like fun.

You've done long trips already, so I'm sure you will take the right clothes even though it's a southern route. There's only one thing worse than being cold and that's being wet AND cold.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 07:34:57 pm by Bob Wessner »
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 07:45:21 pm »
I got caught in a "mild" blizzard on I-40 from Kingman, AZ, to Ashfork in November once. Thankfully, I was in a car. If you go West, stay as far South as you can, until you get near the coast...
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline mgbgt89

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 07:47:48 pm »
Before i leave i'll be getting some real motorcycle rain gear. I'll definitely get some rubber over boots and over gloves. Those were needed on my last trip and i didn't have them. Any advice on a rain suit to get? The pants and jacket i used last time obviously weren't intended for travel at 70mph, quite a bit of moisture leaked through the seams.

As far as things to do in texas, I would love to see San Antonio. I love camping, any good state/national parks to stay at while i'm in Texas?

I found a Hostel in Key West where I'll probably spend the night, seems like it is about the cheapest place to stay in the keys.

From my research so far it seems like i'm picking a great time to travel, since i can stay at a lot of national forest land for free with the purchase of 70 dollar annual pass since its the off season.

Offline mgbgt89

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 07:49:59 pm »
I got caught in a "mild" blizzard on I-40 from Kingman, AZ, to Ashfork in November once. Thankfully, I was in a car. If you go West, stay as far South as you can, until you get near the coast...

That's the one thing i'm worried about. Snow. Was that in the high country? I'm planning on pretty much hugging the mexican border until i get to California to stay out of any mountain areas. I'll save the mountains for a summer trip.

Edit: After looking at a map and seeing where I-40 is, I don't plan on being that far north. I'll be on I-10 or south.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 07:52:19 pm by mgbgt89 »

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 08:21:56 pm »
For rain trousers Id get a pair of Hely Hansen Voss pants from REI -they are $25!! Check out the reviews!

http://www.rei.com/search?cat=40004586&jxBrand=Helly+Hansen&hist=cat%2C40004586%3AMen%27s+Rain+Pants^jxBrand%2CHelly+Hansen

They are NOT breathable and have no zipped leg (reason they are so cheap) but...they are very very good value for money and dont leak. Eventually ALL rain trousers will leak at the crotch as the taped seams come away - so either by the $100 Gore-tex ones  or save your money and buy the HH. I did ;). They also have a similar jacket for $45 but I didnt get that as already have a good jacket - a Marmot Precipice - very good at keeping out the rain  - at REI.com or EMS.com.

If I were you Id ride Baja (and I have already on my CB750 in 2001). Its a great 3 day ride (or longer if you prefer) from San Diego to La Paz. Lots of beaches to camp at on the way. Not expensive and pretty safe. You could if feeling adventurous take the ferry over to Mazatlan and come back a different way but since I have been there the border (Texas/Arizona) area is now pretty dangerous it seems.

Check out Adv rider forum for more recent info on Mexico. But Baja should be safe enough and great time of year to go.

Good luck and keep us posted!
cheers
Andy
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 08:24:59 pm by andy750 »
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 08:35:15 pm »

That's the one thing i'm worried about. Snow. Was that in the high country? I'm planning on pretty much hugging the mexican border until i get to California to stay out of any mountain areas. I'll save the mountains for a summer trip.

Edit: After looking at a map and seeing where I-40 is, I don't plan on being that far north. I'll be on I-10 or south.
If I recall correctly, there is one pass on I-10 in CA, where it can get pretty windy and cold, but only saw spitting snow. I think Tank troops were trained in that area in WW2...
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Skonnie Boy

• Cold cock
  • Hot Shot
  • Life is not like a box of chocolates.
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 09:01:55 pm »
I think its an awesome idea.

Invest in those "hot pocket" heat pads.  They won't keep your hands warm, but they do prevent frostbite.

Leather pants seem douchy, but combined with long underwear, make life on the road a little nicer.

Pedernales Falls is a really pretty area NW of Austin, TX.  Definitely worth looking into, as is an afternoon of riding in the Hill Country, west of Austin. 

New Orleans, dude.  New Orleans.

You've probably thought of most everything else.  Make a great trip thread, keep us posted.   
"Yeah, I'm hip about time. But I just gotta go."

Offline mgbgt89

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 05:08:55 am »
For rain trousers Id get a pair of Hely Hansen Voss pants from REI -they are $25!! Check out the reviews!

http://www.rei.com/search?cat=40004586&jxBrand=Helly+Hansen&hist=cat%2C40004586%3AMen%27s+Rain+Pants^jxBrand%2CHelly+Hansen

They are NOT breathable and have no zipped leg (reason they are so cheap) but...they are very very good value for money and dont leak. Eventually ALL rain trousers will leak at the crotch as the taped seams come away - so either by the $100 Gore-tex ones  or save your money and buy the HH. I did ;). They also have a similar jacket for $45 but I didnt get that as already have a good jacket - a Marmot Precipice - very good at keeping out the rain  - at REI.com or EMS.com.

If I were you Id ride Baja (and I have already on my CB750 in 2001). Its a great 3 day ride (or longer if you prefer) from San Diego to La Paz. Lots of beaches to camp at on the way. Not expensive and pretty safe. You could if feeling adventurous take the ferry over to Mazatlan and come back a different way but since I have been there the border (Texas/Arizona) area is now pretty dangerous it seems.

Check out Adv rider forum for more recent info on Mexico. But Baja should be safe enough and great time of year to go.

Good luck and keep us posted!
cheers
Andy

Any advice on riding baja? I'll be carrying spare fuel with me the entire trip, I know it's scarce down there. How much is it to camp on the beach typically? Can you make it around ok not speaking any spanish? I could order a cerveza, but i don't think i could get much farther than that ;)

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 05:31:01 am »

Any advice on riding baja? I'll be carrying spare fuel with me the entire trip, I know it's scarce down there. How much is it to camp on the beach typically? Can you make it around ok not speaking any spanish? I could order a cerveza, but i don't think i could get much farther than that ;)

Entering Baja from the Tijuana/San Diego side I realized two things..1) I spoke zero Spanish and 2) it was Sunday, I had no money and the banks were closed. Lucky there were ATMs ;)

Dont stop in Tijuana - nothing good will come of it. The more you stay out of cities the better off you`ll be.

On my first day I reached El Rosario (gas station is here) and is just before the Central Desert - 125 miles of nothingness..I got a rear tire puncture and ended up getting the local drug dealer to help me fix it (he had a CB550 ;)). Truckers at pit stops were friendly. Didnt see too many off them on the road and those I did, I passed pretty easily. I had to gas up a few times from "country" gas stations  - barells of fuel where its ladelled out into your tank by the house owner - look for the cardboard or wooden signs with gas spray painted on the front or just knock on a door and ask. There may be more gas stations now since 2001. One thing you will notice about Baja is all the trash at the side of the road even in the middle of nowhere. Not very environmentally friendly  :-\. It gets better as you go further south. Road surface is pretty good all the way to La Paz.

Its free to camp on the beach. Its in the middle of nowhere! Just go down a dirt track until you come to the ocean and then camp. By the Sea of Cortez is beautiful. Be careful about swimming though on the Pacific side - strong currents!

I got by for a month speaking little Spanish (I had zero when I entered) but met many many friendly people. Take a notepad for drawing on or for prices ;).

If you do make it over to Mazatlan make sure you ride the Devils Highway to Durango -excellent twisty mountain/jungle road.

Roadside stalls - I ate at these all over Mexico -pick the busy ones. They are cheap and very very good.

cheers
Andy
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 05:33:13 am by andy750 »
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline CB650 Wolf

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 06:56:39 am »
I lived in Arizona for a little while, (south of Tucson). Your best bet for going that way is to find a bypass when you reach Tucson. They are doing a lot of new construction on I-10 that is supposed to last until 2015 I think. I think the worst part of your trip will be from El Paso to San Antonio. Alot of open road, speed limit is 85 mph, but no gas stations in some areas for about 150 miles. You may want to carry an extra gas can with you through there just in case.
√٧oLҒ

Offline weekend_junkie

• I bet you think I'm some
  • Hot Shot
  • Member # 15859
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 07:42:29 am »
Goodluck and Godspeed.  What kind of tires will you be using?  You must be on highway most of the time but I bet there will be plenty of tempting trails.
Dan
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer / 1981 CB900F / 2002 VFR800 / 1973 CB350F / 1973 CB350F mistake / 1976 CB360T Cafe /1976 CB200 Cafe / 1989 GL1500 w/ sidecar / 1949 IMZ w/ sidecar

Offline mgbgt89

• Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 08:56:14 am »
I lived in Arizona for a little while, (south of Tucson). Your best bet for going that way is to find a bypass when you reach Tucson. They are doing a lot of new construction on I-10 that is supposed to last until 2015 I think. I think the worst part of your trip will be from El Paso to San Antonio. Alot of open road, speed limit is 85 mph, but no gas stations in some areas for about 150 miles. You may want to carry an extra gas can with you through there just in case.

Thanks for the info! I'll be carrying a gas can with me, I brought it last time and needed it 2-3 times. I'll never travel without it now.

Offline mgbgt89

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 09:09:16 am »
Goodluck and Godspeed.  What kind of tires will you be using?  You must be on highway most of the time but I bet there will be plenty of tempting trails.

I havent decided what tires i will be using. I've got a set of brand new Bridgestone battlax BT045 tires i'm concidering using. Right now my bike has some shinko dual sport tires on it. The front tire had to get replaced on my last trip since i did a lot of interstate running right at the speed rating for the tire. It chewed it up after about 1500 miles. Regardless of what tires i'll be using, I'll be be bringing a spare tire with me, since i could put it on either wheel if i had a blowout. My last trip it took me several days to find a tire small enough for the 350, and i ended up with a crappy kenda knobby that i didn't like at all.

Trail riding would be a blast, I won't count it out if i've got the tires for it.

Offline mgbgt89

• Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 09:16:10 am »
Entering Baja from the Tijuana/San Diego side I realized two things..1) I spoke zero Spanish and 2) it was Sunday, I had no money and the banks were closed. Lucky there were ATMs ;)

Dont stop in Tijuana - nothing good will come of it. The more you stay out of cities the better off you`ll be.

On my first day I reached El Rosario (gas station is here) and is just before the Central Desert - 125 miles of nothingness..I got a rear tire puncture and ended up getting the local drug dealer to help me fix it (he had a CB550 ;)). Truckers at pit stops were friendly. Didnt see too many off them on the road and those I did, I passed pretty easily. I had to gas up a few times from "country" gas stations  - barells of fuel where its ladelled out into your tank by the house owner - look for the cardboard or wooden signs with gas spray painted on the front or just knock on a door and ask. There may be more gas stations now since 2001. One thing you will notice about Baja is all the trash at the side of the road even in the middle of nowhere. Not very environmentally friendly  :-\. It gets better as you go further south. Road surface is pretty good all the way to La Paz.

Its free to camp on the beach. Its in the middle of nowhere! Just go down a dirt track until you come to the ocean and then camp. By the Sea of Cortez is beautiful. Be careful about swimming though on the Pacific side - strong currents!

I got by for a month speaking little Spanish (I had zero when I entered) but met many many friendly people. Take a notepad for drawing on or for prices ;).

If you do make it over to Mazatlan make sure you ride the Devils Highway to Durango -excellent twisty mountain/jungle road.

Roadside stalls - I ate at these all over Mexico -pick the busy ones. They are cheap and very very good.

cheers
Andy

Thanks for the info! Baja is sounding more and more appealing after everything i read about it. The only people telling me i shouldn't go are people who have never done it.

Do i need some sort of visa to be down there or is a passport good enough? Any info on the pass/insurance i need for my bike?

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 10:00:36 am »

I havent decided what tires i will be using. I've got a set of brand new Bridgestone battlax BT045 tires i'm concidering using.

Use the BT-45s - this summer I used them on trail roads and they are very very stable. Great in the rain/dry/twisties/trails  - what a tire!

Current bikes

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 10:07:12 am »
Ok found my old diary entry for the Baja ride...

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:24:05 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Andy CB750-now in Baja, California!

"On the first day off being in Mexico and making good time I got a rear tire puncture at El Rosario (about 250miles south of Tijuana). It was a Sunday and I was already feeling overwhelmed by the journey and my awful lack of Spanish)....needless to say I was thinking how lucky I was to have bought a spare inner tube (only recently bought at Newport Beach, Los Angeles). .........there are military checkpoints everywhere (which are pretty funny really as they search your bags so lightly its a joke and often I’m just waved through...Next day drove all day through the Central Desert and wow was it a desert - cacti fields and scrub all day until San Ignacio where there is a pleasant palm oasis and an old Jesuit Mission (where I was surrounded by very curious Mexican children). Stayed the night at the Rice and Beans Motel/Campsite/restaurant where I met a couple from Santa Barbara and an old hippy from Hawaii....nice margaritas.

So far I’ve been terrible with food eating from roadside stalls (at least the busy ones - as there’s nothing else often), drinking fruit juices etc – I’m just waiting to fall ill any moment. The road down south (Rt. 1) is on the whole very good and yesterday I was cruising at 80mph on the long straight stretches across the desert....this morning I turned a corner and there was the Sea of Cortez brilliant blue in the sunshine.....today not sure Ill end up but its all coastal so should be a nice drive. "

and more..

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 17:40:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Quick speed v. tacho question and Baja update

"....today I headed south for Loreto which is by the sea and where I am now :).  It’s very nice and looks out on to the Bahia de Los Angeles (I think)...anyway water is very blue and town is very quiet as not many tourists....coming down from Mulge was one of my hottest rides yet and stupid here forgot to buy any water so if I had broken down I surely would have dehydrated! Don’t worry won’t do that again! But it was very hot (90plus)...but I did pass lots of little sandy bays all with little wooden thatched huts where you could hang your hammock...I was tempted but often the road into these places is very, very bad and also it was very hot!! Not sure about swimming in sea either as I have heard there are stingrays....when I find out more I may try it.....also the road has been hit hard by Hurricane Julie which happened three weeks ago and they are still repairing some of it which means bumpy detours :).....  "

and...

"Apart from this nice beautiful curves with long straights although the heat does tire you out!....tomorrow is La Paz and trying to sort out my tourist card and vehicle permit which should be interesting and then once this is done get a ticket for the 14hr ferry ride to Mazatlan (must remember to buy food and water for this trip!!)....but it’s supposed to get hotter!  And I’m melting already....it’s supposed to cool down in a week or so I’m told....

I arrived in Loreto (first founded in 1697 by the Jesuits) and first stop was the fish Taco stall (one that was busy so must be good!)....mmmmm these fish tacos are super and I’m pretending that even fried fresh fish must be healthy....pretty cheap at 10pesos (roughly $1) although Baja is known for being expensive..."

Current bikes

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 10:10:19 am »

and if you are not bored already...

Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 20:25:29 -0700 (PDT)

Road tips for those of you interested in Baja driving.....

These roads can be dangerous and at almost every corner (especially on mountain passes) and almost every 10 miles the rest of the time there are little crosses and sometimes altars with flowers or garlands at the side of the road reminding those still driving that speed is not always good.....and the other things to watch out for are the cows (one came running from the bush and over the highway - it was truly surreal) and the dogs which will run out from nowhere and try and bite you/bike.....and today was a new one - a two mile detour on rough rutted wheel-crunching dirt road with trucks and pickups passing you in a cloud of dust.....and this in the middle of the desert so if you got a puncture here you’d be in trouble! Apart from these things its great driving with endless number of sharp turns, long, long straight and very, very empty roads!

Next stop Mazatlan (mainland) once I get my vehicle import permit sorted out and I can get a ferry ticket."

and last one...

"After passing through Customs which basically entailed the officials looking at me on the bike and laughing and asking if I liked to smoke some weed or snort some cocaine  -perhaps it’s the way I look or something! Anyway after they laughed a lot they let me through waving to me as I left and making “smoking joint” motions…..Left La Paz, Baja on the ferry (total cost = 800 pesos including bike and passenger) to Mazatlan at 3pm and arrived at 9.30am (yes 18.5 hrs!!) - slept on deck under the stars with a cool warmish breeze blowing over me and got sleepy fast watching the swaying stars and moon....also met three other bikers on board….two from Oregon both riding enduro style bikes and a girl (for some reason she told me she was a lesbian – I didn’t ask and wasn’t interested!) driving on her own on a 1981 Honda CX500!!  She was heading all the way to Costa Rica although by the look of her bald back tyre I had my doubts....she seemed mechanically competent though so I’m sure she’ll be fine....we all got off the ferry together but the Oregon guys were a bit clueless it seemed about rotary’s and which direction to take and since they were heading off to friends of theirs I left them to it and headed into old Mazatlan and here I found the  Hotel Lerma off Juarez which is great for bikes as it has a central courtyard for parking and only cost $8 for the night. Now it’s Saturday night here and today I lost an hour  - time difference (and crossed the Tropic of Cancer). The choice from Mazatlan was to go south and see more little beaches on road to Acapulco or come east to Durango on what I’d heard was a superb driving road....I’m now in Durango :-)

The road was truly excellent and is called El Espinazo Del Diablo (the devils backbone) - 160km of precipitous twisty roads overlooking lush ragged mountains as far as the eye could see......very dramatic and very exciting to drive....quite dangerous overtaking slow trucks on corners though :-) There were no gas stations for more than 120 miles so I ran out of gas at El Ciudad (biggest town since Mazatlan) and asked a young boy where the gas station was and he offered me two gallons of gas (from a big barrel in the back shop! – it wasn’t the cleanest gas either - thank goodness for fuel filters!)...only $1.50 but I think I only got 1.5 gallons as it didn’t last so long (30miles before reserve), and fortunately a gas station was near this time.....

However after getting the gas from this boy I noticed his family also owned a little restaurant (Villa del Sol) and his mom and sister were cooking chicken outside on a makeshift barbecue (old oil drum) - so I had some and it was very good! (at least I haven’t died yet!). Also the weather is cooler up here...like 65C (after 85C by the coast this was cold and I had to put my jacket on)....but the area reminded me of Northern California with meadows and pines everywhere and rocky outcrops. Durango is a very nice little town with very nice colonial architecture and the ubiquitous Plaza de Armas with a 17th Century Cathedral at the North End.  I got a very nice room in a little hotel near here and it has a white central courtyard with little balconies/rooms coming of this.  The owner let me put my bike in a large empty room opposite the reception desk - however this meant climbing two steps with the bike - not an easy task - thankfully I have good ground clearance!!

Now if that dosent convince you to go seek adventure in Baja I dont know what will ;)

Sorry for the thread hijack..
cheers
Andy
Current bikes

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 10:13:44 am »
[
Do i need some sort of visa to be down there or is a passport good enough? Any info on the pass/insurance i need for my bike?

Passport - yes! Vehicle insurance obtained at the border  - dont know how much it is now but it wasnt too bad. You also need a temporary import permit (also at border) - again not too much. Check ADV rider for more detailed uptoday info on border crossing.

Its well worth it...and you will no doubt meet many fellow American bikers in Baja.

cheers
Andy
Current bikes

Offline Shenanigans

• At making holes in walls, Im a
  • Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 10:24:07 am »
When you figure out what part of Arizona you will be entering, let me know if you want some route suggestions.
   This pretty much sums it up.   76' CB592 cafe. 69 750 project, 03 CBR954, 75 750 super sport.

Offline mgbgt89

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 10:33:17 am »
When you figure out what part of Arizona you will be entering, let me know if you want some route suggestions.

Will do. Also, reading your tour report was one of my main inspirations to do this trip.

Offline mgbgt89

• Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 04:31:52 pm »
Thanks for all the info Andy! I'm really going to think hard about going to Baja. I've found lots of info over on ADVrider about travel in mexico. It seems like Baja is still pretty safe, compared to the rest of mexico.

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 04:47:42 pm »
Found some Baja info and links here ;) Hope it helps a bit.

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 06:58:15 pm »
Baja sounds awesome, you gotta do it!

But back to the beginning of the trip. Ok, Key West, check.
I suggest the Panama City, Florida area for your next stop. Fabulous white sand beaches and blue water [like the Carribeean!].

http://www.floridaparks.com/floridastateparks/desktop/stAndrewsStatePark/pic_Large_st_Andrews_State_Park_Panama.jpg

Next, I second the New Orleans suggestion. Great place to eat, drink and party!

Then......San Antonio, since you mentioned it. Again, good place to eat, drink and party. And yell "Remember The Alamo!" You may want to head up to Austin, my stomin' grounds, only 2 hours. GREAT place to party, Live Music Capitol of the World! UT is near downtown, so lots of college co-eds!

From there, it will be a pretty boring ride to El Paso on I-10 [Don't go I-40!] And far!! There are gas stations, just don't pass them by.
And as mentioned, the borders are pretty dangerous these days. Don't do anything stupid and you'll be ok.

Next, New Mexico. You're in tdesert here, so pretty barren. There is a White Sands National Monument, might be worth a stop? 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Sands_National_Monument

Shenanigans will take it from here...
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........