Author Topic: Season's end and farewell of sorts.. long one..  (Read 5316 times)

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
Season's end and farewell of sorts.. long one..
« on: October 26, 2010, 01:36:54 am »

Had to skip the previous race in Bari due to workload vs. a 1200 mile round trip, essentially saying goodbye to the chance of a top three final trophy this year as I also skipped the season opener in Vallelunga.

We still had the season closure in Franciacorta this last weekend. With very heavy clouds hanging above, had pretty good qualifying ending up third. Two things have helped the bike a lot. First was finally deciding to take the plunge and buy ferodo CP211 compound pads. Expensive but worth it, been trying all sorts of cheaper street pads on the Brembo P05 calipers I installed 2 years ago and never got good consistency. With the CP211 material I could finally stay on my brake markers lap after lap knowing what expects me.   
Second was a strange coincidence. Went to buy the usual D9EA plugs I use and the guy had only the R type with resistance. Had no time to find the non-resistance D9EA so went with the R type. Well, it’s hard to believe what a change they have made! Much better throttle response and now it revs to 13K with the stacks on when previously it was kind of tapering off at those rpm’s. Motor also idles much better and feels way happier.
I am still trying to kick myself in the head about not doing these two stupid changes before…..

Race day weather was sort of rainy but for our race, the track was almost dry so we could have some fun. Bike felt good, rider felt good and I had one of my best rides ever, holding on for third with another cb500/4 rider stuck to my tail for 15 laps. BUT, three curves from the checkered flag I thought it might be good idea to give it just a little bit more throttle at the hairpin to be safe and got a big slide, opened the throttle again too soon, and another slide and there I am already heading towards the grass… kept the rubber side down but at this point my friend had passed me, beating me to the flag by two seconds…. Damn!

And now for the farewell…. Could have been nice to end my CB500/4 career with a trophy but regardless, I am moving on next year to the open class and my sweet four will go on pension. Considering how much fun I had with it, how reliable it has been (not even one mechanical DNF in four seasons), it’s a bit unfair, but I really want to see if I can bring more out of myself as a rider with a bike that suits my 6’4” / 190cm frame better. Have already started working on the next project; essentially it’s going to be a sort of replica of Rainey’s 1983 GPZ750 Superbike racer but with an 810cc kit. If I manage to bring weight down to 160kg and get 90-100hp I think it’s going to be fun to ride… :) It sure suits my body measurements much better! 

The one thing I would NOT like to change is my favorite forum though! This place has been great help, so if our moderators don’t mind, I shall post on the build and running of my GPZ, I think there might be interesting information that could be shared as its essentially a sohc4 with another cam ;)  Definitely not leaving you guys, its too much fun here.

Cheers

TG

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
Re: Season's end and farewell of sorts.. long one..
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 02:42:07 am »
Good luck and best wishes with next years venture TG.
Great to hear that you had a good run on the mighty Honda.
And I'm sure that we'll still be here mate.  ;)
Mick
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 04:39:55 am »
Good season end regardless TG - hey you kept the black bits down! :D
Also stick around here you have a lot of knowledge that's of benefit to everyone so it'd be good to keep your updates coming on whatever bike you're working on.

Of course I'm being totally selfish in this request - I got my tiny valves off the CBR250RR engine using your socket and hammer technique but you haven;'t yet told me how I get them back on!  :D   :D   :D
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 05:26:48 am »
Good season end regardless TG - hey you kept the black bits down! :D
Also stick around here you have a lot of knowledge that's of benefit to everyone so it'd be good to keep your updates coming on whatever bike you're working on.

Of course I'm being totally selfish in this request - I got my tiny valves off the CBR250RR engine using your socket and hammer technique but you haven;'t yet told me how I get them back on!  :D   :D   :D

Hei Simon, good that you remind me about your 250. Pitting next to us there was a guy with a tuned CBR250 he "races" in the parade class (too new :) ). Asked him about tuning parts for it and he said it has cams and flat slide FCR's that he bought from Takegawa, Japan. maybe you should take a look at their online catalog with someone who speaks japanese next to you. Otherwise CMSNL are their european importers.

There is an auto way to put the collets back on... :) I made one by myself but there's an aussie company making these:

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-36050-Keeper-Remover-Installer/dp/B0012S61IO

or

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0165/

TG

« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 05:35:10 am by turboguzzi »

Offline Howell

• Honda the power of dreams
  • Hot Shot
    • CB500 classic racing
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 11:02:51 am »
Hi Yossef,

Things went mechanical better for you in four years then for us in one year.
Not one DNF in those years with mechanical troubles , that means  that you are a good mechanic.
You have build a reliable bike.
I hope your next bike will as reliable as the Honda was.
I wish you all the best building that new bike and hope you post it here with many pictures although it is a K..........

gr.René
You meet the nicest people on a Honda

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 11:15:36 am »
hi yossef
have just seen the results from franciacorta , do you by any chance have a photo of fontanesi's morini ?  i am a bit of a morini fan and am intrigued at how he seems to get such good results on one

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
    • Moonpie
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 11:46:06 am »
Hei Simon, good that you remind me about your 250. Pitting next to us there was a guy with a tuned CBR250 he "races" in the parade class (too new :) ). Asked him about tuning parts for it and he said it has cams and flat slide FCR's that he bought from Takegawa, Japan. maybe you should take a look at their online catalog with someone who speaks japanese next to you. Otherwise CMSNL are their european importers.

There is an auto way to put the collets back on... :) I made one by myself but there's an aussie company making these:

or

TG

Hmm looks like the motionpro tool is what I need as the stems are smaller than 5mm on these tiny little babies! I'm already on with the engine tuning in fact just the head to come back now and a final decision whether to go with stock pistons or get one-off machined ones that are 25% lighter. I'm interested to see what is in the takegawa catalogue for cams as I couldn't find any off the shelf performance upgrades so have had a base circle regrind on the standard cams. I can't pretend to understand what a base circle regrind actually is but apparently it will give better midrange and top end and I need 0.5mm shims! I must pay attention when these tuners pass on their knowledge :D
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 11:59:57 am »
hi yossef
have just seen the results from franciacorta , do you by any chance have a photo of fontanesi's morini ?  i am a bit of a morini fan and am intrigued at how he seems to get such good results on one

Hi simon

No pics, sorry. That morini is the black beast of the championship.... every time the paton was not around (it threw a rod in qualifying in franciacorta, it took the win. Honselty there's not much to see from the outside but seemingly the builder dropped on that thing thousands of euro's, custom crank, pistons, valves, 36mm carbs, close ratio 6-speed, Ti pushrods and on top of that it sits in a modified morini 250 frame so weight is under 120kg i think. we dont have many horsepower tracks so the fact that it is as nimble as a 125 sure helps and the guy is a tiny demon rider too.

my hat is off for sure...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 12:02:08 pm by turboguzzi »

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 02:10:05 pm »
thanks yossef
i thought he must have been able to ride a bit ! , unfortunately its not the sort of bike we see racing over here in the 500 class .
good luck with the kawasaki   

Offline voxonda

• Master
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 02:33:55 pm »
Hey Yossef,

Keep us informed about the progress with the Ka.................i, sorry seems I cannot get it out my mouth. Shame on you for that ;D ;D
No just kiddin' all the best with your efforts.

Cheers, Rob
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline Godzilla

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 04:02:12 pm »
Instead of a 83 GPZ, why not an 84?
Regards

Robert

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 04:11:37 pm »
TG,

If it comes down to a vote on whether or not we allow you here, well I quess I'll give you the nod.  ;D

You've provided good ideas and race stories to boot, good on ya. Good luck with the GPZ.

Do you have a place on the mantle for the 500?

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 07:35:58 pm »
Don't let the Honda go to wast TG, put somebody on it next year.
Good bikes belong on the track.
I hope you enjoy the GPZ experience but I can't say I'm a big fan.
I had a turbo 750 road bike for awhile. (the lag was terrible)
I also punted a 900 in a dirt track chair for a couple of years. (it wouldn't pull the skin of a custard but I guess it forced me to sharpen up my riding skills to stay competitive)
Anyway I'll miss your race reports with the 500.
Good luck.

Cheers,
Brian
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 08:48:40 pm by bear »
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 09:04:01 pm »
TG,

If it comes down to a vote on whether or not we allow you here, well I quess I'll give you the nod.  ;D

You will get a vote from me, as well, TG. While some of us will regret that you have strayed from the fold, this is the High Performance and Racing Forum, and racing is racing, which ever team you're on. ;)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 10:25:39 pm »
PM sent  ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 12:36:30 am »
Instead of a 83 GPZ, why not an 84?

83 is our cut off date for the so called TT1/open class.

Is that bike yours? would defientely want to hear about your experiences with it.

The GPZ750 is a kind of forgotten ride. it had just one year of glory, 83' with Rainey's ama win against the V4 honda's but by 1985-6 it was made obsoloete by the ZXR water cooled/ 4-valve models. On top of that, K tuners are all into 900-1000's, not that much info on the 750 unit, but I actually like the idea that its an odd thing to race on :)

Thanks for the kind words, will try to share with you the build without showing too much green color :)

TG

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 02:02:50 am »

or

TG

I couldn't find any off the shelf performance upgrades so have had a base circle regrind on the standard cams. I can't pretend to understand what a base circle regrind actually is cos I is THICK  ;D ;D ;D

The base circle is the area of the cam where there is no lumpy bit. When the lumpy bit comes into contact with the rocker arm, it makes it rise and the other end where the tappet adjuster is pushes down onto the valve to let the gasses into the combustion chamber. (ARE YOU STILL WITH ME) If you grind 2mm off the area where there is no lumpy bit, (this is the area where you set your tappets against) it makes the lumpy bit think it is 2mm taller giving you 2mm more lift. As Alexandra of compare the Meercat fame would say, "SIMPLES".  :D :D :D :D :D

Your ex best mate Sam. ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 03:36:43 am »
Hi TG, did you ever consider the GSX 750 "E", not bad bikes with an excellent engine...

http://www.suzukicycles.org/GSX-series/GSX750ES-EF.shtml

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 09:10:42 am »
hei bear,

Agree, but have only myself to build and maintain my stuff, just not enough time to take care of two bikes, need to concentrate on building the one for next year. That said, the 500's motor still feels good, am not taking it apart, so if someone with decent credentials wants to pop in italy for a single race next year, he's welcome, just bring  a set of fresh Avons and cover your own expenses :) how's  that to give something back to our lovely hi-po forum?

Mick, I am quite into air-oil GSXR's suzooks but those GSX's, specially those with the 16" fronts just turn me off. Then there's the fact that I already have the GPZ in bits all over my garage floor... ;)

TG 

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 04:23:20 pm »
TG,keep us posted,A racing update ,etc. fine with me.Sure have enjoyed your insights and posts.No mechnical DNF's in three years speaks for itself! Stay in touch Sam and I getting closer....Sam's $$,Mikes wrenching,the CB750A will go down the strip in 2011! :D,Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline Godzilla

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 05:31:00 pm »
83 is our cut off date for the so called TT1/open class.

Is that bike yours? would defientely want to hear about your experiences with it.

Yes it is mine.
In Australia the cut off is end 82 and a new era is being introduced that goes to end 90.
It was raced in 84-85 and then stood in a garage for over 20 years until I bought it start 2008. Rebuilt it and raced in 2009 at club level. Now waiting for improvements and the new race class to be introduced as a historic class hopefully in 2011.

Don't want to hijack your thread with my modifications unless you want.

Hope you have fun with your GPZ.
Regards

Robert

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 05:34:39 pm »
Those 83's were quite a long and heavy beast, whats she like on the track..

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
    • Moonpie
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 05:04:50 am »
The base circle is the area of the cam where there is no lumpy bit. When the lumpy bit comes into contact with the rocker arm, it makes it rise and the other end where the tappet adjuster is pushes down onto the valve to let the gasses into the combustion chamber. (ARE YOU STILL WITH ME) If you grind 2mm off the area where there is no lumpy bit, (this is the area where you set your tappets against) it makes the lumpy bit think it is 2mm taller giving you 2mm more lift. As Alexandra of compare the Meercat fame would say, "SIMPLES".  :D :D :D :D :D

Wow thanks Sam - it's a good job you're as clever as you look mate  8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 09:03:52 am by SamCB750A »
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 09:02:26 am »
The base circle is the area of the cam where there is no lumpy bit. When the lumpy bit comes into contact with the rocker arm, it makes it rise and the other end where the tappet adjuster is pushes down onto the valve to let the gasses into the combustion chamber. (ARE YOU STILL WITH ME) If you grind 2mm off the area where there is no lumpy bit, (this is the area where you set your tappets against) it makes the lumpy bit think it is 2mm taller giving you 2mm more lift. As Alexandra of compare the Meercat fame would say, "SIMPLES".  :D :D :D :D :D

Wow thanks Sam - it's a good job you're as clever as you look mate  8) 8) 8) 8)

"WOW", thank's Simon, that's a very nice compliment coming from you. ::)

Sam, your best mate again ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline fantino

• Hot Shot
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 11:02:52 am »
Never posted in the HiPo forum before, but just thought I'd say I'll also miss updates about your 500, TG. I read a lot of your posts, and they've been a great source of information and ideas.

Good luck with the GPZ!