Author Topic: My 1978 750K is alive!  (Read 971 times)

Offline DPO

My 1978 750K is alive!
« on: August 13, 2020, 06:02:40 pm »
  Finally, after 3 freakin days, I have the restored carbs installed. I think I crossed all the T’s and dotted all the I’s.  Couldn’t figure out why my digital volt-ohm meter kept reading continuity whether the points were opened or closed. Disconnected the coil and capacitor wire, then all was well. Set ignition timing spot on statically and with my strobe, both “F’s” are dead on. For some reason, the only way it will start is with full choke (butterflies closed), and when she starts, it goes strait to 4200 RPM! Closing the choke (butterflies open) she DOES idle down to around 1800 RPM, and that’s with the idle speed all the way out and not touching the stop. If I twist the throttle to increase the RPM’s, the engine dies immediately. I have one or more carbs backfiring intermittently, and once in a while a backfire will kill the engine, but starts back up on all 4 cylinders.
   I hooked up my kinda crappy (but brand new) cheap-O vacuum gauges and started her up. All were reading spot on with the master slide, with one slightly high. Fixed that, but now the bike idles rough and still high RPM’s after I verified that the linkage was hitting the stop. Can’t figure out why it’s running at this high (1800-2000) RPM at idle. I sprayed the boots with carb cleaner and didn’t get any rise in RPM’s, so the boots are good. The new air cleaner is installed as well. I must have an issue somewhere with the linkage is all I can figure.
   What is that little slotted screw right in the middle that has a lock tab and a spring used for?  Looks like some kind of adjustment, but it’s only touching something when the choke is activated...I one of y’all would like to lend a hand, come on over😂
If you highside, let it go....If it comes back, it was meant to be!