Author Topic: Paddy - '78 CB750 - Version 3.0 Coming Soon!  (Read 82207 times)

Offline Coyote13

• Hot Shot
Re: Paddy - '78 CB750
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2011, 09:27:45 am »
We sure are!  We're still finalizing the route, but so far we're either heading Dallas => Houston => Austin => Dallas or Dallas => Austin => Big Spring => Dallas.  We shall see what the Rally requires of us!

And do feel free to hit me up if you need any suggestions. I've always got plans on the backburner that never seem to come to fruition, it'd be nice to see someone else get some work done!
'78 CB750K.  Throttle ripper.
'71 CB100.  Grocery getter.
'01 XL883.  Panty dropper. Gone but not forgotten.

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
  • Suffering from MDD - Mechanical Deficit Disorder
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2011, 10:55:06 am »
A couple questions.

1.  Does the top throttle cable (I believe it's the "push" cable) only have one nut on it?  In this pic, you'll notice the lower, "pull" cable has two for adjustment purposes:

2.  Does the throttle in any way control the carbs' butterflies?  I only get the butterflies to move via the choke cable.  So, with the choke off (butterflies open), I presume all carb vacuum is generated by the carb slides.  Is this correct?  I want to make sure I haven't missed connecting something that would cause the throttle to also open/shut the butterflies.

CoyoteUSP, glad to hear you're joining the Rally!  At my rate of progress, it'll be all nighters until early May in hopes of helping IT get through Colorado.  Sounds like you have a fun route planned.  I'd love to see a pic of IT on 6th Street in Austin, or, better yet, coming ashore at Town Lake!

Offline MasterChief750

• Detonation
  • Expert
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2011, 12:04:19 pm »
Looks like you're missing a nut I believe and the butterflys are the choke. Wait lemme think you may not be missing a nut. But yeah the slides do all the work for the throttle
1978 CB750 K - Project Red Headed Step Child
1976 CB750 K - Drag Bike
Some things i know, others i dont.
I AM THE STIG
Sam is THE STIG
he said i can be STIG3 tho

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2011, 02:38:17 pm »
Cables are correct. Hope you get finished in time...Larry

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2011, 03:52:26 pm »
Masterchief, thanks for the clarification.

Photolar/Larry, I hope to get Paddy done in time, too!  Many tasks ahead of me, but I hope to check them off promptly so I can see IT firsthand!  Good info on the cables, thanks.

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2011, 09:37:10 pm »
Happy St. Paddy's Day, lads and lasses!

I got some more tasks done today:

Adjust valves
Drain and change oil
Install carb tops
Lube and assess pull closed throttle cable
Remove front end

After lubing the throttle cable, it turns out I need to order a replacement.  It's too far gone and won't allow the pull open throttle cable to snap the throttle closed.

The Clymer manual calls for 3.5 liters of oil in the oil tank, but I was only able to put in about 2.5 before I didn't feel comfortable adding more.  I'm confident it won't take another liter, or even .5 liter.  Is this normal?  Do I need to wait until I get electrical fired up and the oil pump starts circulating oil into the motor prior to adding the last liter?

I was proud of myself for adjusting the valves until, on the last cylinder, I realized I had set the exhaust valves to intake tolerances, and vice versa!  :-[  Oh well, it went faster the second time!

Then, it was time to dismantle Paddy's front end.  Sorry for the pic.  I'd like to say I was hammered on Guinness pints, but it's probably too much Starbucks.  I know, I know, I'm such a party animal.

The forks came off because the seals are beyond toast:

I don't know who invented Simple Green, but I hold him/her in similar regard to the inventors of: bacon, Dubl Stuf Oreos, Imodium, and bacon.  A couple minutes of scrubbing and:

I tried taking the left front fork apart - cap is off, spring is out - but I'm unable to get the hexhead bolt out of the bottom.  It's so blasted stuck I'm afraid to admit I slightly stripped it.  >:(  Some have mentioned getting it out with a pneumatic impact gun.  I'm going to try it in the morn, but I'm truly worried it's going to fully strip it, in which case I'm HOSED!  Keep your fingers crossed for me - I need the SOHC4 gods/fairies to look fondly on me tomorrow.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2011, 09:45:11 pm »
The motor needs to run to start pumping, then you'll need to add the balance of the oil.  Wait for the air impact, start off with a low power, that vibration will help to loosen the bolt.  Then turn the power up.  If you do not own an air impact, Makita makes an 18v lithium ion impact wrench that is an awesome tool for the shop. No more compressor noise ;)...Larry

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2011, 10:01:26 pm »
Dang, if I had the Makita I could be out there trying it now!  I'll wait til the morn to fire up the compressor - sounds like a silverback gorilla with a hammer trying to get out of a steel box!

I do have an impact gun (NIB).  Not even sure if it has a hi-low dial.  If it does, I'll take your advice starting out on the low end.  Maybe that would help keep it from stripping.

Thanks for the info on the oil tank!  I've been reading a book called Shop Class for Soulcraft by Matthew B. Crawford.  The old me would have poured in 3.5 liters per the Clymer manual and wondered why it could have wronged me as I cleaned up a massive oil spill in my garage.  Crawford, a philosophy PhD and motorcycle mechanic, is so reflective about every aspect and nuance of life, I've started questioning every move I make around the bike.  This time, it helped!

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2011, 03:31:32 pm »
Not what the doctor ordered!  A spun bearing.

Looks like I'm replacing the front wheel bearings.

Offline Coyote13

• Hot Shot
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2011, 03:49:14 pm »
Turn your ignition off and give that sucker about 15 kicks, should help circulate some of the oil and allow you to add quite a bit more

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2011, 03:51:12 pm »
Turn your ignition off and give that sucker about 15 kicks, should help circulate some of the oil and allow you to add quite a bit more

That works, or crank it over with the kill switch on-does the same thing...Larry

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2011, 09:49:02 pm »
Thanks Coyote/Photolar.  I may need to replace the sprocket seal, so I'll wait on kicking over the motor.  I don't want oil in the engine if it'll keep the sprocket seal mess to a minimum.  Anyone know if it has a lip on it that requires opening up the motor to replace it?  If so, I'll live with the mess!

I was WAY stoked this AM when the air impact gun worked like a charm on the hexhead bolts at the bottom of the forks.  I drove around town today finding a new bolt (the existing one on the left leg was a bit stripped) and two crush washers.  That allowed me to replace the fork seals and get the forks installed, along with some headlight ears I bought off a member:

I was really hoping to dismount the old tire/mount the new tire this weekend and get the front end buttoned up, but I need to wait on the wheel bearings to come in.  All said, I feel like I made progress this week toward my goal of riding with IT early May!

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2011, 09:58:26 am »
I got quite a bit done this AM.  It was early, so I figured polishing was the closest I could be to a church mouse.  Worked on the pipes:

And the right side covers:

Then hit the fender and got it mounted:

When I figured it was late enough to grunt, I dismounted my first tire.  I hope I don't have to do this again any time soon!  Here's the PITA:

Then I gave the front wheel some TLC.  It looks about four shades of awesome:

Now, I'm off to the local Honda dealer to have them yank the bearing retainer nut.  After destroying a hub on Seamus, I'm not going to make the same mistake.  Money well spent in my mind!

Offline Coyote13

• Hot Shot
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2011, 10:18:02 am »
My God man! That thing just polished up like new! That is one clean s.o.b. right there  :o

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2011, 12:09:33 pm »
Yeehaw!  It has a couple nicks, but for a 33-year-old wheel, I'd say it has fared well.

The young tech at Honda couldn't find the right tool for a quick removal of the retainer nut.  I've fingers crossed when I pick it up later today that it's not torn to shreds with a one-hour, $80 charge!

Offline MasterChief750

• Detonation
  • Expert
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2011, 06:04:06 pm »
that wheel is spiffy, wish mine looked that good
1978 CB750 K - Project Red Headed Step Child
1976 CB750 K - Drag Bike
Some things i know, others i dont.
I AM THE STIG
Sam is THE STIG
he said i can be STIG3 tho

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2011, 08:28:48 pm »
We'll see about the wheel.  The young buck Honda put on the retainer nut project might have drilled the peens out too deeply.  They're having such a hard time getting the retainer nut out, that's what I suspect.  They're not finished and now aren't open until Tuesday.  I'll be tossing and turning until then! >:(

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2011, 03:50:16 pm »
Hmm.  As expected, my hub is chewed up.  They actually had to CUT OUT the bearing retainer nut (note cut-up bearing)?!

The service tech told me, "We're not charging you, because you seemed pretty upset."  Nah, I fully expect to be in a good mood when a noob tech just out of the Institute overdrills the peens and goes into the hub's threads.  Hell, I can do that for free, too!

Lesson learned - next time, I'm finding a local shop experienced in old rides - or, better yet, buying the tool!

I yanked the bearing today and am now awaiting new bearings and retainer nut.  I've both fingers and toes crossed the new retainer nut will somehow find purchase on those flat, chewed threads.  Otherwise, I'll be begging one of you for a surplus hub!

Tomorrow is a ski day, so I'm hoping Thursday I can start cleaning electrical connnections, grease them up, hang the headlight bucket, and run the rat's nest into it.  I should also have the push/close throttle cable Thursday to see if it fixes my throttle not snapping closed.

If all goes well, Friday could include my buying the battery, so I can start troubleshooting electrical!

My new 630 o-ring, 88-link chain arrived Monday.  I've also ordered sprockets and a sprocket oil seal.  Once I get the front end buttoned back up, I should be able to move to the rear wheel.  I'm kicking around putting Seamus' black/chrome rear shocks on Paddy, as I imagine the shocks are original and shot.  We'll see what I do once I get back there (hopefully early April at the latest).

Offline Little_Horse

• Hot Shot
    • My cafe build
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2011, 06:15:35 pm »
Its almost always better to do things yourself, at least I have run into that over and over. You see we care and they don't. Sorry about the retainer nut fiasco.
"Little Horse Cycles" facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Little-Horse-Cycles/185809474769493

LHC is my start up cafe racer shop specializing in custom parts, bikes, restoration and recreation

The 500 builds http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64250.0

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2011, 08:56:36 pm »
Little_Horse, isn't that the truth!  I'd rather be upset with myself than someone else - seems like it makes me learn quicker when I screw up.

Bring on Little_Grasshoppa!  Where is it, and when do we get to see some updates?

Offline Little_Horse

• Hot Shot
    • My cafe build
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2011, 09:28:05 pm »
I will start that project here real soon so many things to do right now. I have a good vision of where I want the bike to end up so now I just have to start. The only real problem is there is less and less of the original bike that will be left, how much do you need to keep before you loose the character?
"Little Horse Cycles" facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Little-Horse-Cycles/185809474769493

LHC is my start up cafe racer shop specializing in custom parts, bikes, restoration and recreation

The 500 builds http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64250.0

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2011, 03:02:22 pm »
The tank.  ;)

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2011, 04:31:30 pm »
My buddy Philip called and offered lunch if I'd 1) change his engine/tranny oil 2) change his oil and air filters 3) check and clean up his plugs 4) fix the squeaky left tailpipe 5) get his brake lever to keep from rattling.  Thankfully, he had replacement parts on 4 & 5, and he took care of those while I was running to get the correct oil filter (you're two-for-two now, Philip).  So, a couple hours later, he was smiling - but no work was done on Paddy today.

I've fingers crossed I can crank out some work tomorrow!  Thanks for the BBQ, Philip!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2011, 06:39:39 pm »
The newb tech really screwed you and I bet w/o a kiss.
Your buddy got a good deal!
Where'd you ski??
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2011, 11:47:52 am »
Stev-O, I skied Winter Park. 9" of powder in the trees was awesome! 

Well, I found this crack 2" behind the right shock mount. Time to get it welded up:

Got the speedo and tach polished/waxed. They look great!

I also replaced the old push/close throttle cable. Works like a charm!

Anyone know if this is the correct headlight bucket?