Author Topic: Paddy - '78 CB750 - Version 3.0 Coming Soon!  (Read 84219 times)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
Re: Paddy - '78 CB750 - EPIC FAIL!
« Reply #300 on: April 05, 2012, 05:22:27 pm »
Like I said there is a reason hotrod shops hot tank engines.  Guess we all learned a lesson (unfortunately the hard way) from you.  Good luck on the rebuild.  I would make the first shop pay for the resurfacing personally.
When shopping around for cleaning of my crankases, I was referred to Redi Strip Indy. They turned me down said they wouldn't put alumminum crankcases in their soup.

HotRod engines mostly cast iron? Maybe thats the/a difference?
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
  • Suffering from MDD - Mechanical Deficit Disorder
« Reply #301 on: April 05, 2012, 08:46:13 pm »
Oldratafe, mcrider is correct. The chem dip at the auto shops will melt an aluminum block like ours. I checked at Blue Oval today - no go.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #302 on: April 06, 2012, 03:33:55 am »
There are chemical dips for cast iron blocks and chemical dips for aluminum cases. The blasters that I use have a "Hot Tank" for aluminum cases, but I haven't had a set of cases hot tanked, because they told me that while it will remove old paint and grease, it won't remove corrosion. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #303 on: April 06, 2012, 05:11:28 am »
There are chemical dips for cast iron blocks and chemical dips for aluminum cases. The blasters that I use have a "Hot Tank" for aluminum cases, but I haven't had a set of cases hot tanked, because they told me that while it will remove old paint and grease, it won't remove corrosion. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I thought something like that might be the case. The Redi Strip plant i went to was like the premier place in Indy for such work. I figured if they didn't want to do it, the search would be difficuult. But there has to be a liquid strip for aluminum somewhere in Indy.

Iin the meantime, media blasting kept surfacing as the best way to get ALL the crap, corrosion, eczema, etc off the cases, but cleanup became a priority. The blaster i used was also a premier outlet, but no liquid stripping services.

http://www.idsblast.com/jobshop.html
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #304 on: April 06, 2012, 03:36:39 pm »
Yep, I'm with you Ron, media blasting is the best option for making our engines look like new, and as long as people are aware that they will have to spend some quality time thoroughly cleaning every nook and cranny prior to re-assembling their engines, they'll be fine. I've done 4 or 5 engines like this with no issues whatsoever, it's like anything else, if you put the time in with good preparation, you'll get a good result. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline KRONUS0100

• MAD MATT THE MANIAC
  • Expert
« Reply #305 on: April 06, 2012, 03:46:59 pm »
ETE WHOLESALE on Capital Ave in INDY..........aka Edwards Transmission.  I used to work there.  they have a hot tank parts washer that they use to clean transmission cases..which are aluminum. Call and ask for BOB.
MATT
current bikes:  1976 CB750F, 1981 GS1100E
bikes owned:1981 GL1100I, 1990 GS500E, 1981 GS850, 1977 and 1979 GS750, 1974 CB750, 1975 CB750, and a 1982 GS750E

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #306 on: April 06, 2012, 06:29:01 pm »
Yep good point most engines are iron so that probably does make a big difference.  But a lot of high performance engines like those found it Vetts, cobras etc. are aluminum.  Also why not leave the cases together and plug the few holes with rubber corks or expanding freeze plugs seals and then just have the whole thing blasted.  I would think that would make sure 99% of the media stays out.
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Sent from my Texas Instruments TI99/4A Computer

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #307 on: April 07, 2012, 02:33:17 am »
You'll never be able to plug every orifice, oilway, threaded hole etc mate, it's just impossible. better to just blast the cases and throroughly clean them afterwards. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #308 on: April 07, 2012, 10:17:27 am »
"You'll never be able to plug every orifice"

This is THE man that knows! trust him  ;)
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #309 on: April 07, 2012, 11:02:28 am »
ETE WHOLESALE on Capital Ave in INDY..........aka Edwards Transmission.  I used to work there.  they have a hot tank parts washer that they use to clean transmission cases..which are aluminum. Call and ask for BOB.
That's good to know. Thanks, not far from me. (sb Capitol Ave)   :P   :D 
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #310 on: April 07, 2012, 11:22:09 pm »
You'll never be able to plug every orifice, oilway, threaded hole etc mate, it's just impossible. better to just blast the cases and throroughly clean them afterwards. Cheers, Terry. ;D
That's what she said ;)
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #311 on: April 08, 2012, 03:01:07 am »
I think JFK would beg to differ............  ;)

Offline Old75_ratafe

• CB750 Cave Spelunking
  • Expert
  • 1975 CB750K
« Reply #312 on: April 08, 2012, 11:28:03 pm »
I think JFK would beg to differ............  ;)
Touche
1975 CB750K
Project Back in Black

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #313 on: April 10, 2012, 04:44:51 pm »
I picked the kids up today.  They enjoyed having the top down on the Jeep. 

Tomorrow is clean up time!  I bought a metric tap & die set to chase all the threads.  I'm thinking I might hit the power wash first to blow the majority of the plastic media out/off.

If that happens tomorrow, I should be able to paint Thu or Fri.

I also dropped by Blue Oval Performance to have Rob look at my pistons.  He thinks they look great, especially given the heat cycle the engine experienced.

Progress, fellas!

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #314 on: April 10, 2012, 08:36:35 pm »
Your tragedy stuck with me as I peered inside my oil tank yesterday. Thanks to you but sorry for you. I flushed out a fn sand dune today. Totally amazed. I'll be posting something on "What did you do to your bike today" in a little while!

As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #315 on: April 11, 2012, 05:31:09 am »
You were lucky Jerry, all that good work would have been for nought if you'd left the grit in your tank. I prefer blasting to any other method of baked on crud and paint removal, but if not thoroughly cleaned, it will destroy your engine before your very eyes........... ;D

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #316 on: April 11, 2012, 07:08:28 am »
Put bolts in all the threaded holes prior to blasting. Bead blasting 101
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #317 on: April 11, 2012, 08:04:44 am »
Or tape at the least. Moral: always check someone else's work

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #318 on: April 11, 2012, 03:25:22 pm »
Jerry, glad my screw up could help somebody - especially a good Colorado dude like yourself!

MRieck, DOH!  Why didn't I think of that?!  On second thought, don't answer that.

I ordered main bearings, cam chain, points cover (the current one - although new - already has a dent in it from tipping the motor on its side), and oil filters.  Still waiting on my guy to take apart the head to see what I need to order, if anything, in addition to the bent valve.

I didn't get anything else done.  My dad called to see if I wanted to grab breakfast, so we ran our other bikes down to a cool joint and I got the oil changed on it.  Other than that, it's been a day of honey-dos.

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #319 on: April 11, 2012, 07:12:18 pm »
You know what we call this??

A LEARNING EXPERIENCE  ;)

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #320 on: April 12, 2012, 04:18:28 pm »
Jerry, glad my screw up could help somebody - especially a good Colorado dude like yourself!

MRieck, DOH!  Why didn't I think of that?!  On second thought, don't answer that.

I ordered main bearings, cam chain, points cover (the current one - although new - already has a dent in it from tipping the motor on its side), and oil filters.  Still waiting on my guy to take apart the head to see what I need to order, if anything, in addition to the bent valve.

I didn't get anything else done.  My dad called to see if I wanted to grab breakfast, so we ran our other bikes down to a cool joint and I got the oil changed on it.  Other than that, it's been a day of honey-dos.
As Jerry said...there is a learning curve. ;D At least you get good feedback here which really steepens the curve. ;) ;D
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #321 on: May 12, 2012, 05:32:23 am »
Theo.....update? You out here?!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline behiggie

« Reply #322 on: May 27, 2012, 10:38:25 pm »
Hi
First off I don't have a 750 and I have not stayed at a holiday inn but here goes.
When you get it back together go to the hardware store and buy a pump up sprayer like for weed killer. Cut off the wand and adapt to fit the inlet oil line from the oil tank. Fill the sprayer with oil and use it to push oil through the engine till it comes out the line that goes back to the oil tank then with the engine properly pre oiled you can pull valve caps or whatever you want to make sure oil has been properly distributed. This also eliminates the low pressure that can happen during initial start up as the oil passages fill.          Ben 

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #323 on: May 28, 2012, 05:22:47 pm »
Behiggie, that's a cool way to prime the engine with oil!

Stev-O, sorry I haven't checked in for awhile. I'm learning machine shops are the longest part of a rebuild process. They ordered exhaust guides from Kibblewhite over a month ago, and I still don't have the head. 

I have repainted and reassembled the lower end with new main bearings and cam chain. The oil pump is rebuilt with new o-rings - glad I did it, too, as the oil leak stopper valve was stuck open.  I just need to install the pistons, points, paint the head, once back in my posession, and reassemble.

I'm hoping to have Paddy running in June. We'll see!

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #324 on: May 28, 2012, 10:13:56 pm »
Maybe we can take them out together!