Author Topic: Lurker turned builder  (Read 813 times)

jabandsnort

Lurker turned builder
« on: November 12, 2010, 11:02:27 am »
Hey guys,
I just wanted to check in with you all and say what a great resource this site is.  I've been riding for over 25 years, and have owned Hondas, Yamahas, Ducatis, Triumphs, and currently ride a BMW1200GS daily.  I've been wanting a cafe bike for quite some time (I totally lust after a Dreer Norton) and finally decided to take the plunge with a 76 CB750 Supersport.  Haven't done much yet, but have made some slow progress removing parts and polishing the east to get to pieces.  I've ordered a bunch of stuff as well, including a Carpy seat from a member here.  My mechanical skills are ok, but my fab skills are non-existant, so this should be interesting.  I'm really looking forward to digging in over the winter..  Anyway, thanks in advance, I'm sure I'll need tons of help and advice.

-jab

Offline The_Crippler

• In regards to doing it wrong, I'm an
  • Expert
  • Work in progress.
Re: Lurker turned builder
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 11:41:24 am »
Hands on is always the best way to learn, I feel.  Jump in with both feet and take lots of pictures (and, hopefully, a build thread to go with it!)

Welcome aboard!

jabandsnort

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 02:31:50 pm »
Thanks, that's the plan.  Build thread and pics coming soon!

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 02:36:19 pm »
Looks like you have a good foundation, enjoy the project!

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 02:54:33 pm »
Hey guys,
I just wanted to check in with you all and say what a great resource this site is.  I've been riding for over 25 years, and have owned Hondas, Yamahas, Ducatis, Triumphs, and currently ride a BMW1200GS daily.  I've been wanting a cafe bike for quite some time (I totally lust after a Dreer Norton) and finally decided to take the plunge with a 76 CB750 Supersport.  Haven't done much yet, but have made some slow progress removing parts and polishing the east to get to pieces.  I've ordered a bunch of stuff as well, including a Carpy seat from a member here.  My mechanical skills are ok, but my fab skills are non-existant, so this should be interesting.  I'm really looking forward to digging in over the winter..  Anyway, thanks in advance, I'm sure I'll need tons of help and advice.

-jab

Man, if you want to do a cafe then buy a bike in a little worse condition, there's plenty around......Early "F" model bikes like that one are getting pretty hard to find and that bike doesn't need butchering, it very nice just the way it is.

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

jabandsnort

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 05:02:47 pm »
Sorry Mick, I'm not a sentimental guy when it comes to bikes.  The worse the condition (and believe me, this ones not as good as it looks) the more I need to do to get it up and running again.  Anyway, after I change it into what I like, at least it'll be ridden, which is more than the previous owner with the "stock" bike did.  Who's sin is worse? 

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 05:31:44 pm »
Welcome! You're off to a good start. How's it run?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 08:54:45 pm »
Sorry Mick, I'm not a sentimental guy when it comes to bikes.  The worse the condition (and believe me, this ones not as good as it looks) the more I need to do to get it up and running again.  Anyway, after I change it into what I like, at least it'll be ridden, which is more than the previous owner with the "stock" bike did.  Who's sin is worse? 

I'm still dead set against butchering that bike, the spoked "F" models are the rarest and yours is easily salvageable. I have one as well but mine was used to round up cattle...{no #$%*} the bloke i bought it off was huge...... ;D

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 09:07:11 pm »

I'm still dead set against butchering that bike, the spoked "F" models are the rarest and yours is easily salvageable.

+1. After 34 yrs it ends up getting butchered. Sell it to someone who will appreciate it for what it is...
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline harvey mushman

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 04:58:45 pm »
If you mod it lightly and dont 'hack' away it...it can always be returned to stock...just save all the stock stuff ...end up with two bikes in one...ride it one way...switch it back over ...ride it the other way.

My old '99 ZX-7R...I got bored and made a street fighter out of it...but with a few hours worth of effort...I could put it back to sportbike style...and thats the way the new owner recieved it.