Author Topic: Front Fork Rebuild 1976 750k  (Read 616 times)

Walktex1

Front Fork Rebuild 1976 750k
« on: November 13, 2010, 05:15:08 am »
Replaced the front forks with ones from another bike found on ebay, put in new seals and replaced the oil - generally ok, but when I let go of the handle bars there is a little bit of shake.  Now thinking about new tubes in the original forks as the chrome has come off & pitted on the old tubes where they go into the top seals; I wonder if this might tighten things up?  Found some tubes on Cycle X that are standard 23 13/16 length - do you think these will work and help?  Thanks

Offline Trav-i

• Has finally become an
  • Expert
Re: Front Fork Rebuild 1976 750k
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 05:41:17 am »
Sounds a lot like loose head tube bearings to me.  I would start with a simple bearing adjustment, and see how it is after that.
Forum member #9962

I don't know a lot about anything, but I know a little about practically everthing. 

If your not first, your last - Ricky Bobby

1992 GL1500 Interstate

73 CB750 Bobber Project (Always an on going project) Sold
71 CL350 Scrambler Project (Done and riding it) Sold
78 CB750 F3 Super Sport with F 0 engine (Current project)

Offline metalmechanix3

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 10:07:30 am »
New tubes will fix leaking seals change seals again if going with new tubes. Shake? Yea mabie head race bearings. Do fork tubes look staight slight bend can throgh things out of wack.

Walktex1

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 03:43:42 pm »
Originally, this bike was converted to a cheesy chopper by the dealer with king/queen seat & longer front forks.  It had 8k miles when I bought her, and  now 13k.  No shake with the original forks that were about 4" over stock - I converted it back to original by purchasing an original factory seat and used forks possibly off a 750f - and I think they may have progressive springs. So maybe they used forks are slightly out of square & causing slight shake when hands are off - otherwise it handles good with one or both hands on the bars.  I am considering using the original casings & parts and buyingstock length tubes from Cycle X