Author Topic: CB650Z restoration  (Read 2573 times)

Offline fisjon

CB650Z restoration
« on: November 17, 2010, 06:53:23 am »
Hi everyone,
This is my first post and I am a bit iffy with the techno side of forums so hope this goes ok!

I am in the process of restoring a CB650Z. I have three of these at the moment, one is in working order and on the road, one is for spares and the other is on the workbench being reassembled.

It has been fully stripped and frame/swing arm and all the other frame related items like the battery box etc have been powder coated. All nuts, bolts and washers and fittings have been replaced new or have been sand blasted and zinc plated. A rear mudguard has been obtained from Germany in almost new condition to replace the rotten one it came with and the tank and side panels have professional hand painted marking to match the original decals.

It is a slow process and it is costing a fortune, far more than I had imagined and all because I used to own a CB750K1 back in 1972. It gets in your blood.

Anyhow, I have got to the point where I have refitted the coils and got to look at those stupid CDI thingies that leak the black stuff. I have a box of spares and have yanked out several of them and only one hasn't leaked. I am considering using a Boyer Bransden Micro Ignition System but cant really find any info on them.

Apparently there are two types, one just replaces the points (which the 650 doesn't have anyway) and the other system completely replaces the coils and CDI units. Have any of you guys got this system up and running on a CB650Z? Any info appreciated.

I will post some photos soon as I work out how to do it.

cheers
John

Online scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
Re: CB650Z restoration
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 09:07:47 am »
welcome from another Z owner. the goo is common, don't sweat it, clean all your elecy connections and put something in the pulse generaters to seal them. I used silicon, still going strong 1 year later.
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline fisjon

Re: CB650Z restoration
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 11:46:41 am »
Thanks for the info scunny. So when they have leaked they aren't ness knackered. I will get a couple out and test them on the road bike and then have a bash at cleaning and filling the units up with silicone. The black stuff aint arf sticky, it gets everywhere!
cheer
John