Author Topic: 1971 CB500: Project "Yokai" - Lots of Pics  (Read 36099 times)

Offline nk140

• Enthusiast
Re: 1971 CB500: Project "Yokai" - Lots of Pics
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2011, 05:42:24 am »
Did you buy the quart or gallon of the POR-15 engine paint?

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2011, 07:30:45 am »
I just bought the complete engine kit that they have on the website.  It comes with a quart of paint, marine clean, metal prep, the actual por-15 compound, gloves, brushes, and a mask.  A gallon would have been way too much. A little goes a long way with this stuff. Here is a link in case you are interested.

http://www.por15.com/ENGINE-PAINTING-KIT/productinfo/EPKA/

Offline nk140

• Enthusiast
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2011, 07:35:42 am »
I will just get the kit then.  I was thinking of doing something similar to what you a doing but with powder coat.  I don't know if I can trust the powder coater to cover all of the threaded holes, so now I am leaning this way.  I do like POR-15 tank liner so I may just try this.

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2011, 08:11:31 am »
I am really happy with the way it cam out.  I do have one recommendation though.  MAKE SURE YOU WEAR GLOVES!!!  This paint will not come off easily and takes days of scrubbing.  Good luck with it!  Do you have a build thread?  I'd like to see your progress.

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2011, 08:39:27 am »
The more I look at this, the more I like it.  The engine treatment looks great, very nice all blacked out with some accents.  Did you have the exhaust flanges plated, or did you just polish 'em?  What are you doing with the tappet covers?

And boy oh boy, those BCR exhausts are worth every penny in my opinion.
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2011, 09:20:47 am »
I had the exhaust flanges nickel plated and polished.  The guy said that chrome would be hard to do in the deep groves and would yellow because of heat.  They turned out great.  I am debating on the tappet covers now.  To get them nickel plated and polished it is like 200 bucks for the 8, or I can get a set of nice aluminum ones for like 100.  I'm a little torn because I love the look of the nickel.  Honestly, I'll probably just end up with getting them plated.  I think it will look better in the end, but when I do that though, I'll end up wanting the breather covers all plated too.

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2011, 09:22:47 am »
I had the exhaust flanges nickel plated and polished.  The guy said that chrome would be hard to do in the deep groves and would yellow because of heat.  They turned out great.  I am debating on the tappet covers now.  To get them nickel plated and polished it is like 200 bucks for the 8, or I can get a set of nice aluminum ones for like 100.  I'm a little torn because I love the look of the nickel.  Honestly, I'll probably just end up with getting them plated.  I think it will look better in the end, but when I do that though, I'll end up wanting the breather covers all plated too.
FWIW, after seeing your bike I'm planning to have my flanges and tappet covers nickel plated, so you'd better do those covers too, to keep from being one-upped. ;)

It's your bike, but I think that the breather covers would look just fine done in the POR15.
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2011, 09:27:31 am »
I guess I better take them to the plater this week!  How far along are you on your build?

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2011, 09:37:10 am »
I guess I better take them to the plater this week!  How far along are you on your build?
I'm not even started - just collecting parts and ideas here and there, you're in no immediate danger of being one-upped by me. ;)

Offline luap

• LAWL
  • Expert
« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2011, 10:38:08 am »
chemical stripping is cheap  If you dont go with that link posted up
75-550 ffsc sold, 78-550 diamonte sold, 125s grasshopper sold, 76-550 puma sold, 78-550 tracker sold, 74-550 verde diablo Sold, 74-550 Noemani finished trying to sell. 72 500 hartail in the works
www.cb-town.com
"I dont need a bike covered in paint an chrome I know exactally bout how big my coc( is"

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2011, 07:24:54 pm »
Well, I had a little time today so I decided to get the carbs back on as well as the handle bars.

A few pics of today's progress:

Master cylinder will be changing.  I'm not a big fan of how tall it is.  I'll probably go with a radial cylinder.

Next, I am working on cutting down the stock front fender a little.  I also got my tachibana helmet that I have been waiting for, but forgot to take a picture of it.  

Offline Jt550

• Is more then just a F-in
  • Enthusiast
  • What have I gotten myself into...... Gotta Love It
« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2011, 08:04:00 pm »
Looks like Im in the same boat as you.... Yet you had WAAAAY more to work with.... But that might be a plus for me in the end, so I can put my own spin on it...

But damn man, looks really good... Cant wait to see what she looks like on her birthday.....  ;D
Tyler Durden: You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your f*<king khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

-78 CB550k with a BIG #$%* Eating Grin-

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2011, 11:45:15 pm »
Wow, almost 2 weeks since I have done a photo update.  Some progress has happened but I have mostly been busy with work and school so haven't gotten as much done as  I would have liked. 

I have a new combo regulator/rectifier from Oregon Cycles.  I am modifying the old harness and salvaging what I can.  I also needed a new solenoid so I put one on order from Cycle Re-cycle.  Hopefully it will be here in the next few days so I can start her up!  I have also been toying around with an idea for manual switches where the old indicator lights were since the gauges I am getting have the indicators built in.  I till do the run/off switch there, as well as an all lights off switch (just in case I need to ditch someone at night), maybe an underglow switch (if I decide to do underglow lights), and a start button. I think that will help cleanup the handlebars a little and will make it so I only have a left hand control. 

I also got a mini pod filter for the breather cover so I can have that instead of a hose. 

I will take some more pictures tomorrow and get them posted up for everyone to see. 

Offline Squally

« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2011, 06:03:55 am »
Your bike is looking great!! I realy like the por-15 engine paint. Carbs look great! I might have missed it...what are you doing for a tank/seat combo? Can't wait to see it  ;D

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2011, 11:30:56 am »
Benjie is working on an Armadillo tank and seat for me as we speak.  It should be done in about 4 weeks or so.  It will be flat black with gloss black racing stripes and either the custom badges from greenjeans or a gloss black honda wing logo. 

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2011, 05:16:27 pm »
I haven't updated for a while.  I have done a lot of little things and am getting close to having a runner.  The electrical is giving me a little bit of trouble.  I got a regulator/rectifier from Oregon cycles that helped clean up the wiring a lot.  I also bought a new solenoid from crc I can get the engine to turn over but it won't fire up completely so I'm enlisting the help of a friend this week.  Got the rearsets from Benjie and put them on as well as turn signals from dime city cycles.  Bike is looking great, but like I said…Wiring is a pain in the ass! 

Here are the pics.

Overall look as of today.

I removed the indicator lights because my new speedo has them built in.  The far left is the startor button and the far right is the run/off switch.  The middle will be something eventually.

Rearsets

The mocked up headlight with turn signals

Rear turn signals.

Got the fender trimmed up and smoothed out on my Grandpa's bench grinder today.

What a mess!

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2011, 05:28:31 pm »
Looking fantastic man, your hard work is paying off. I am sure you will get the wiring and the starting issues sorted out. It could be they are some what related..

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2011, 05:41:48 pm »
Looking fantastic man, your hard work is paying off. I am sure you will get the wiring and the starting issues sorted out. It could be they are some what related.. .: Scott :.

:D :D :D :D  Probably should be happy it didn't start this time.  Would have melted those wires all over those nice shinny pipes. ;)  Looking great, nice to see it progressing, and getting closer.  Do you have the colour wiring diagram?  It makes it much easier to get the various 'systems' hooked up.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2011, 06:15:03 pm »
Ha yeah Tintop check out the top photo. I sat there stating at the colored diagram and that bundle of wires for about 3 hours today.  One of the problems is that I got a new left hand control and the wires are different colors than on the original so it's pretty confusing

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2011, 08:29:43 pm »
So, after about 3 more hours sitting on my butt in the garage I finally had a breakthrough!  All of the lights officially work.  Headlight, high beam, pass light, and both turn signals are fully functional.

Headlight.

Right Turn.

Left Turn.

Right Tail.

Left Tail.

Now I just gotta clean that mess of wires up and get the beast started!  Oh yeah, and I need Benjie to finish my tank and seat.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2011, 09:55:58 pm »
dont scared of wiring,if the loom hasnt been cut up its more or less colour to colour,you seem to have it sorted,not long now.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2011, 07:24:51 am »
You will of course post a video of the start. :)  We shouldn't have to wait long now.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2011, 09:10:19 pm »
Tintop,  of course I'll be putting up a video!  Gotta spread the love!

Offline Free Booter

• My Build: CB750k5
  • Hot Shot
  • Meh.
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2011, 08:43:28 am »
I haven't updated for a while.  I have done a lot of little things and am getting close to having a runner.  The electrical is giving me a little bit of trouble.  I got a regulator/rectifier from Oregon cycles that helped clean up the wiring a lot.  I also bought a new solenoid from crc I can get the engine to turn over but it won't fire up completely so I'm enlisting the help of a friend this week.  Got the rearsets from Benjie and put them on as well as turn signals from dime city cycles.  Bike is looking great, but like I said…Wiring is a pain in the ass! 

Here are the pics.

Overall look as of today.

I removed the indicator lights because my new speedo has them built in.  The far left is the startor button and the far right is the run/off switch.  The middle will be something eventually.

Rearsets

First,

Great Build Thread and LOVE the set up w/ the toggle switches..Where'd  you get those?.

Second,

Where'd you pick up those rearsets? did you make them? very nice buil...the bike is going to look great.

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2011, 09:25:20 am »
Thanks for the positive words!  I had the rearsets made by Benjie at BCR designs.  The website if you want to check it out is Benjiescaferacer.com.  I bought the toggle switches from radio shack and the starter button from cycleexchange.  I think they turned out pretty good.